GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake jobs - local or at lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 07:00 AM
Neto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake jobs - local or at lexus?

I think the brakes about to go, no metal on metal grinding but its making a squeaking sound not so often though, only mornings or when making smooth stops. However on sudden stops there is no noise.

I just bought the car, 2 months old.. the dealer owner indicated that he had changed them...although with today's economy no one is trust worthy.

Are they done? or do they need just some breaking in??

Also should I take it to a local mechanic or Lexus?
Old 03-15-11, 07:05 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

depending on what wheels you have on your car you can probably look through the spokes to determine if they need to be changed. there is a tsb out for noisy brakes which is what im going to say yours is.

if it turns out the brakes do need to be changed, do it yourself if your handy. you'll pay about 1/4 of the price lexus would charge you.
Old 03-15-11, 07:14 AM
Neto
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the breaks, from my observation I think i have a finger of pad life left but the rotors are not in their greatest shape, I think they are original. I think they just shaved the rotors imo

its an 06 with 89K btw.

the TBS thingi you mentioned, am I stuck with it until I change the pads and rotors?
Old 03-15-11, 07:53 AM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Received 327 Likes on 224 Posts

May need to change the rotors but its probably that brake pad issue with the TSIB unless thats only for the GS 350.
Old 03-15-11, 12:38 PM
Neto
Driver School Candidate

is OEM the best way to go? or is there better for a reasonable price?

Last edited by Neto; 03-15-11 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 01:33 PM
kennuth
Driver School Candidate

I'd also like to know if most people would recommend going with OEM or something else.
Old 03-15-11, 07:52 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with Akebono Ceramincs from TireRack.com (btw: Akebono makes Toyota's pads). They were much less than what the Lexus parts man want to charge me. If the rotors are original, its time to change them. I doubt the pads are original especially with 89k on the clock. I had to change mine out at 55k.

If you are just changing out pads, it is a very simple job. Changing rotors is a little more involved. If they are original, they may not come off the hub so easy. Luckily Toyota rotors have the screw holes to slowly "pop" them off the hub.

steviej

PS, the TSB does not cover the 06. 07+ has different pads in the front.

Last edited by steviej; 03-17-11 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-16-11, 01:16 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same problem with my GS....... I changed the brakes myself.... powerslot rotors and OEM brake pads.....bedding is the key. Car stops on the dot... no noise and initial bite kicks in instantly... no need to warm up brake pads like you would ceramics. You can get the brake pads from sewell for 50-60 bucks with the clublexus discount
Old 03-16-11, 06:24 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

yea i have oem ones up front also. no noise and very limited brake dust
Old 03-17-11, 12:19 PM
kahuna2
Driver School Candidate

If you're replacing the fronts, make sure to do the shim kit as well--if it hasn't been done by a dealer. I've recently replaced mine with Akebono ceramic (awesome) pads, at a local non-Lexus dealer. The brakes, now, don't squeal or drag or make any noise. The shim kit is about $50, but it's worth it!

Originally Posted by steviej
I went with Akebono Ceramincs from TireRack.com (btw: Akebono makes Toyota's pads). They were much less than what the Lexus parts man want to charge me. If the rotors are original, its time to change them. I doubt the pads are original especially with 89k on the clock. I had to change mine out at 55k.

If you are just changing out pads, it is a very simple job. Changing rotors is a little more involved. If they are original, they may not come off the hub so easy. Luckily Toyota rotors have the screw holes to slowly "pop" them off the hub.

steviej

PS, the TSB does not cover the 06. 07+ has different pads in the front.
Old 03-17-11, 03:28 PM
Neto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
I had the same problem with my GS....... I changed the brakes myself.... powerslot rotors and OEM brake pads.....bedding is the key. Car stops on the dot... no noise and initial bite kicks in instantly... no need to warm up brake pads like you would ceramics. You can get the brake pads from sewell for 50-60 bucks with the clublexus discount
nice ride dude.

I'm located in toronto, my buddy works for part source i'll ask him if he can get the rotors - if not i'll go through club lexus.

thanks.
Old 04-18-11, 07:04 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced my front rotors and brake pads about 2 months ago. They used akebono pads on my car. But last couple weeks I've been getting a loud squealing noise when I'm making smooth stops.

Took it back to the shop and told me that I need to drive hard and brake hard the first few stops. Which I think is bull****. Cause when he showed how to do it. He's expecting me to floor the car and then press on the brake hard the first few times. Which is unsafe. Never heard of that before.

Now the noise is pretty bad and embarrassing. Specially driving a $50k vehicle. Any advise?
Old 04-20-11, 05:51 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MiggzGS
Replaced my front rotors and brake pads about 2 months ago. They used akebono pads on my car. But last couple weeks I've been getting a loud squealing noise when I'm making smooth stops.

Took it back to the shop and told me that I need to drive hard and brake hard the first few stops. Which I think is bull****. Cause when he showed how to do it. He's expecting me to floor the car and then press on the brake hard the first few times. Which is unsafe. Never heard of that before.

Now the noise is pretty bad and embarrassing. Specially driving a $50k vehicle. Any advise?
Let me guess, the noise come on just when you apply the brake pedal lightly and gradually increase force, but then if you step harder on the pad, the noise goes away, yes?

In support of the mechanic, the procedure your described to you is a common way to "seat" the brake pads. Each pad manufacturer has their own recipe for seating pads. Check with Akebono about their recommendations for the specific pad you had mounted.

Here is a link to www.tirerack.com's website and a list of various procedures by manufacturer.

Brake Pad Bed In Procedures

Noise is due to excess vibration, whether it be due to improper mounted pads, poor shims, or failure to use some kind of lubricant (ie. Brake Quiet) when mounting the shims to the pads. Another source of vibration noise is from semi-metalic pads. Semi-metalic pads are made of organic material and some metalic powders. The metalic component can set up a resonance and create less quiet pads then say ceramic or fully organic pads.

I would start with the cheapest. Have the pads reinstalled with some blue goo also know as Brake Quiet between the shims and the pads.

steviej
Old 04-20-11, 05:29 PM
nugget33
Driver School Candidate

i was having the same questions for my gs350. thanks for everyone's expertise on the issue.
Old 04-20-11, 08:11 PM
kenv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes at Lexus

I would like to tell a brief story on why you should go to the dealer. Bought GS (08) certifed in June 2010 with 26k miles. Complained of brake dust and dealer replaced pads and turned rotors at 35k (free). At 45k miles squeal started in front; dealer has replaced the pads AND new rotors for free. I have purchased 2 Lexus vehicles in the last 8 years and they have been serviced at Lexus. I am not a VIP, but I feel by paying the higher service fees and building a relationship with my adviser has advantages. I have spent $1100 on the following service intervals; 30k, 35k, 40k, and 45k. They have replaced the front pads twice, new rotors, and provided a free interior/exterior detail for the hassle. Estimated cost of brake service (if I paid), and detail would had been $700+. My approx. net cost = $400 for 4 service intervals and brakes, and of course received a Lexus loaner each time. When I bought car I stipulated only wanted a Lexus loaner when my car is serviced, not a Camry, or some other inferior car. I am confident that perks will continue throughout my ownership of the GS. My first Lexus (02 ES) was owned for 6 yrs., and accumlated 130k miles. I did not purchase extended warranty and received free starter, alternator, battery, and O2 sensor from dealer on the ES.

Quick Reply: Brake jobs - local or at lexus?