GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 06:51 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another TPMS issue

Ok, I just swapped my wheels and tires. I did Not swap the sensors though. So I have no sensors in my new wheels. Here's the interesting thing, I'm not getting my dash light or any other warning. I've been driving like this for at least 30 miles and not getting any indicators. Something wrong?
Old 03-21-11, 06:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

no, heres how it works

you will not get any warning lights unless you go over 50 miles in 1 trip (ie drive for 50 straight miles without turning the car off). if you can stay under 50 miles in between turning the car off, you will get no warning lights.

i do not have them in my wheels either and i do not get lights because i dont drive my car too far. when i drive to the beach, i just watch my odometer and pull over at like 48 or 49 miles in and turn the car off and turn it back on then im good for the rest of the trip.
Old 03-21-11, 07:14 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ lol that seems like such a pain in the *** they aren t all that expensive just buy another set and have them installed. The only thing that sucked is the dealer had to reprogram them and cause u didn't buy my car from them they don t do me any favors and charged me for it. The wheel shop has a machine but it wouldn't work on my car.
Old 03-21-11, 07:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
^^^ lol that seems like such a pain in the *** they aren t all that expensive just buy another set and have them installed. The only thing that sucked is the dealer had to reprogram them and cause u didn't buy my car from them they don t do me any favors and charged me for it. The wheel shop has a machine but it wouldn't work on my car.
for the 2 to 3 times i take my car down a year, its not a big deal. majority of the time we just take the womans TL down.
Old 03-21-11, 08:08 AM
jizoe
Rookie

I swapped my rims about 3 weeks ago... no light. I drove to Austin TX to get my fenders rolled... roughly 60 miles and 'ding' light came on. The very next day... light was off again.
Old 03-21-11, 08:11 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Well that's kind of cool. I have 2 sets of them, just couldnt find a place that had the rebuild kits in stock that was open yesterday. I will probably get them put in sometime this week.
Old 03-21-11, 08:41 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally, I think it's ridiculous how long it takes the car to check if the sensors are missing. I'm not sure what the motivation is, but I'm pretty sure the car warns you of a low tire almost instantly compared to many miles of driving before it warns you about a sensor that is missing entirely.

I find that odd, but it seems to be the case. I remember testing it when I first got the car, I intentionally let a lot of air out of one tire and recall seeing the low tire warning as soon as I started it. At one point, Lexus killed one of my wheels and replaced it and decided to give the car back to me with a completely different sensor in that wheel which was not programmed in the car. Drove it for a few weeks without the car complaining until I went on a road trip and then it finally freaked out.
Old 03-21-11, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Personally, I think it's ridiculous how long it takes the car to check if the sensors are missing. I'm not sure what the motivation is, but I'm pretty sure the car warns you of a low tire almost instantly compared to many miles of driving before it warns you about a sensor that is missing entirely.

I find that odd, but it seems to be the case. I remember testing it when I first got the car, I intentionally let a lot of air out of one tire and recall seeing the low tire warning as soon as I started it. At one point, Lexus killed one of my wheels and replaced it and decided to give the car back to me with a completely different sensor in that wheel which was not programmed in the car. Drove it for a few weeks without the car complaining until I went on a road trip and then it finally freaked out.
i also wonder why it takes that long for the system to decides "ah, i don't think we have any tpms here!"
Old 03-21-11, 08:53 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

So, when it finally displays the low tire indicator, do you simply have to turn the car and back on to get an additional 50 miles before it comes on again? Or does it stay on until it's reset at the battery or some other way?
Old 03-21-11, 08:57 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IronCobra
So, when it finally displays the low tire indicator, do you simply have to turn the car and back on to get an additional 50 miles before it comes on again? Or does it stay on until it's reset at the battery or some other way?
The only way to reset it is to add air, or reinitialize the TPMS system to a lower psi setting.

If it's complaining about a sensor not being detected "CHECK SYSTEM" the only way to fix it is bring it into the dealer to fix the problem (or add missing sensors, or park near the sensors it's expecting if you have them) as those codes are not OBDII.
Old 03-21-11, 09:04 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I swapped my rims about 3 weeks ago... no light. I drove to Austin TX to get my fenders rolled... roughly 60 miles and 'ding' light came on. The very next day... light was off again.
Ok, so after reading this post, it would appear that the system automatically recycles when you turn the car off and on again. So, it looks like the indicator will turn off AFTER you shut the car down and restart it.

Clarification please?
Old 03-21-11, 09:07 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Ok, so after reading this post, it would appear that the system automatically recycles when you turn the car off and on again. So, it looks like the indicator will turn off AFTER you shut the car down and restart it.

Clarification please?
No it doesn't. It will reset itself if the car is brought back into range of the sensors it's expecting such as if you are parking in a garage where your OE wheels with the sensors are being stored.

Turning the car on or off, as many times as you want, does not reset it if there are no sensors in range.
Old 03-21-11, 09:27 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Well, that clears things up.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-11, 09:46 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

actually you dont have to be near the original sensors for it to reset. last memorial day i went to staten island for the liberty vip meet and my lights came on for the sensors. it took about 2-3 weeks for them to finally go off. i dont know how it works but i do know it will reset itself eventually. not sure how many cycles it has to go through.
Old 03-21-11, 09:59 AM
AndyUK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My UK model (when pressure low) seems different. It gives me a sound warning whenever I start the car, and it stays displayed on the instruments. I can override the warning to check MPG for example, but then a few seconds later the "Low Tyre Pressure" warning comes back. Plus the red triangle and an orange symbol.

Quick Reply: Another TPMS issue