GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

From GS300 to RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 03:46 PM
ADV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From GS300 to RX350

I love my GS but I need more trunk space and have been looking at some different crossovers/SUVs. I came across an 08 RX350 w/Nav 25k miles for 27k. What do you guys think?
Old 03-29-11, 04:19 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Not sure I would switch to an RX maybe keep my car and get an RX or just get an LS, but thats me.
Old 03-29-11, 08:02 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ADV
I love my GS but I need more trunk space and have been looking at some different crossovers/SUVs. I came across an 08 RX350 w/Nav 25k miles for 27k. What do you guys think?
We are blessed enough to own both, I drive an 08 GS350, my wife drives an 08 RX350. Two completely different animals. They both AWD, and that's where the similarity ends. When we go on a road trip, we usually take the RX. Gas mileage is pretty much the same, of course the RX feels heavier and slower, but roomier and has better seating position for the long drives.

So, I would say of I could only own 1 Lexus in my falimy, it would be an RX because of the practicality of it. But driving a GS is much more fun. Also, I don't know who in your family is going to drive the Lexus, but most of the RX drivers a see around here are women.
Old 03-30-11, 05:13 AM
ADV
Driver School Candidate

I test drove it last night and while it was a nice ride I don't know if I could make the switch. I would be driving it. We need something with more trunk space. I play golf and getting 2 bags in my GS trunk is not happening.

Originally Posted by arnieosp
We are blessed enough to own both, I drive an 08 GS350, my wife drives an 08 RX350. Two completely different animals. They both AWD, and that's where the similarity ends. When we go on a road trip, we usually take the RX. Gas mileage is pretty much the same, of course the RX feels heavier and slower, but roomier and has better seating position for the long drives.

So, I would say of I could only own 1 Lexus in my falimy, it would be an RX because of the practicality of it. But driving a GS is much more fun. Also, I don't know who in your family is going to drive the Lexus, but most of the RX drivers a see around here are women.
Old 03-30-11, 06:14 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you need the trunk space then you just gotta do it. It's not like you can expand it in the GS.
Old 03-30-11, 07:02 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Wow, that seems crazy that you can't fit 2 bags in your GS. I have had a 2002 GS300 and now have a 2007 GS350. I have had 4 golf bags in at one time. Now, these are carry bags, so if you are talking the bigger cart bags, that I could see.
Old 03-30-11, 10:51 AM
ADV
Driver School Candidate

Yeah they are bigger cart bags. I am so torn right now. I love my GS but could use the extra cargo room. I can get the RX at a really good price and I spoke to a Toyota dealer about a V6 AWD Venza. They originally wanted too much but just called with the right price. They want to make the deal before the month is over.

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Wow, that seems crazy that you can't fit 2 bags in your GS. I have had a 2002 GS300 and now have a 2007 GS350. I have had 4 golf bags in at one time. Now, these are carry bags, so if you are talking the bigger cart bags, that I could see.
Old 03-30-11, 11:11 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ADV
Yeah they are bigger cart bags. I am so torn right now. I love my GS but could use the extra cargo room. I can get the RX at a really good price and I spoke to a Toyota dealer about a V6 AWD Venza. They originally wanted too much but just called with the right price. They want to make the deal before the month is over.
I like the Venza. I wouldn't go for the I4 one though... I'd only be interested in the V6/AWD models... but they are a good mix of minivan and car and aren't too hard on the eyes.
Old 03-30-11, 11:19 AM
my2jz
Driver School Candidate

Can't you place them in the backseat and get to keep the gs?
Old 03-30-11, 12:09 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADV
I test drove it last night and while it was a nice ride I don't know if I could make the switch. I would be driving it. We need something with more trunk space. I play golf and getting 2 bags in my GS trunk is not happening.
Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
I can fit two but that's it. How do you fit four?!

Originally Posted by my2jz
Can't you place them in the backseat and get to keep the gs?
Why not just strap it on the roof? Point is the trunk is where they belong.
Old 03-30-11, 12:12 PM
ADV
Driver School Candidate

@ Jay yeah the Venza caught my eye when I was looking at the Highlander. I test drove a I4 (not by choice they brought the wrong one around) and it was a nice ride. Tons of room inside and like you said a good mix. BTW thanks again for all the info on the Grom unit besides having to start my car twice every now and then it works great.

@ my2jz That's what I'm doing now and it makes me nuts to have that big clunky bag on my back seats.
Old 03-30-11, 12:51 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

The people I play golf with and myself use carry bags, so I have never had a problem fitting all our clubs in the trunk, including shoes and other gear. I definitely wouldn't be able to fit full sized cart bags.

Bags like this I can fit 4.

Last edited by HUSKERnKS; 03-30-11 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added Image
Old 03-31-11, 07:54 PM
Jowee
Rookie

I would end up buying new golf bags before replacing the car. 2 regular sized golf bags fit in my trunk with no problems.

I drove the RX for 2 days as a loaner before bringing it back to them for something that wouldn't kill me in gas. I personally don't think it's nearly as luxurious or nearly as nice as the GS. I noticed more road noise, worse gas mileage, and I just didn't really like it. To me, it didn't have that "Lexus" touch. I feel it could have been a little more refined.

I really liked the RX prior to driving it for a few days.
You look at the LS yet?

To each his own and good luck!
Old 04-01-11, 07:13 AM
ADV
Driver School Candidate

Well the final decision was to keep the GS. I test drove a bunch of different things and wasn't really happy with them. I test drove a Venza V6 AWD which I liked but they couldn't make the #'s work which made my decision easier.
While they were working the numbers I was having a tough time deciding if I wanted to keep my car or move to the Venza.

The dealer was just over an hour away in another state and they knew all the details of my car. Over the phone they were pretty confident they could get the #'s to work. In the end they said the problem was the the amount of miles on my car. So I was a little annoyed being they knew what they were before I got there. Car sales men are the worst. I was at a different Toyota dealer last week looking at the same Venza. The sales guy came at me with a monthly payment $150 over what I wanted to pay. I thanked him for his time and stood up as he blurted out "Can you do ($100 less a month than what he just quoted me)? I didn't even answer him....just walked out.

Originally Posted by Jowee
I would end up buying new golf bags before replacing the car. 2 regular sized golf bags fit in my trunk with no problems.

I drove the RX for 2 days as a loaner before bringing it back to them for something that wouldn't kill me in gas. I personally don't think it's nearly as luxurious or nearly as nice as the GS. I noticed more road noise, worse gas mileage, and I just didn't really like it. To me, it didn't have that "Lexus" touch. I feel it could have been a little more refined.

I really liked the RX prior to driving it for a few days.
You look at the LS yet?

To each his own and good luck!
Old 04-01-11, 12:35 PM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Like driving a rhinoceros. I know this, as I have been driving one for two weeks while they fixed my GS 350.

Quick Reply: From GS300 to RX350