GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Got Key'd!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 01:49 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaff
Thanks Buddy I appreciate it.

This is not a dealer recommended shop but the dealer itself with factory paint in toyota marked barrels, no 3m or any other brand
sorry to hear about your paint man but toyota doesnt make paint, other companys make paint for toyota. Most likely PPG
Old 04-02-11, 03:36 AM
Jaff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya maybe, I wouldn't know cause I didn't see it, I just repeated what the advisor told me.
Old 04-02-11, 06:33 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
sorry to hear about your paint man but toyota doesnt make paint, other companys make paint for toyota. Most likely PPG
That's true, but some shops will blend it to the color code and others will order the actual paint that is factory made to manufacturer specification.
Old 04-07-11, 01:08 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Hey man, I posted a big thread about 3-4 months ago when my car got keyed (the first time), it was very minor so I had a buddy fix it for $300. A month later it was keyed and vandalized again resulting in $9800 in damage. The entire car needed to be repainted.

So yeah, $2200 can't be a full paint job. Sounds like a spot job to me.

BTW, my car was in the shop for 45 days and I still wasn't all that pleased with it when I got it back. Your car will probably not ever look the same again. Sorry man.
Old 04-08-11, 09:04 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb80
Hey man, I posted a big thread about 3-4 months ago when my car got keyed (the first time), it was very minor so I had a buddy fix it for $300. A month later it was keyed and vandalized again resulting in $9800 in damage. The entire car needed to be repainted.

So yeah, $2200 can't be a full paint job. Sounds like a spot job to me.

BTW, my car was in the shop for 45 days and I still wasn't all that pleased with it when I got it back. Your car will probably not ever look the same again. Sorry man.
he's located in amman, jordan. price difference.
Old 04-17-11, 08:20 AM
Jaff
Driver School Candidate

Default Update...

So my car needs a full respray Being a perfectionist, I kept on hearing that voice behind my head saying the dealership wont do a perfect job. I painted the rear bumper few months back, and they did a good job, but a full respray is a whole different magnitude. After seeing there latest work on a few cars I came to the conclusion that this is not a job for the dealership. So I took it to one of the most reputable shops here, which work for very high profile cars and the Royal Automobile Museum. The only downside is that they charge more and they need more time, which is too little to sacrifice for a great result. I asked the wheels to be repainted to get rid of those curb rashes. I have a good feeling about it. Fingers crossed.
This is a pic, shop looks shabby but not there work. They took out all the parts, screws, boxed it, and documented it to avoid mixing up anything or losing it. The interior is completely covered and wrapped to avoid any dirt touching the interior.

And this is her with her big brother before she got hurt
Attached Thumbnails Got Key'd!-img_0005.jpg   Got Key'd!-img_0191.jpg  

Last edited by Jaff; 04-17-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-17-11, 09:33 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that looks like it's past the clear coat already
doesnt matter, could still be filled in.
Old 04-17-11, 10:58 AM
vdux
Driver School Candidate

I got diced up a couple weeks ago myself. I'm debating what to do, the entire trunk looks like an art project. The sides of the car are not noticeable because the scratches are above the rear shoulder line. Its bothering the **** out of me. I don't want paint work! Its never the same.
Old 04-17-11, 05:27 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bavaria
There may be a future for separating/retired military snipers - keyers, taggers, and rappers!
Don't see where rappers come into this. I'm going to go out on an analytical leap and guess that you don't like rap music. Whatever you like (country, pop, etc...) nobody else said anything ignorant about your artists and made a pathetic stab at them. I guess all the rap fans here are not as bigoted as you are. I'm surprised this got past the moderators.

Anyways, hope the OP's car turns out well. It's unfortunate that people randomly commit these acts.
Old 04-19-11, 06:20 AM
crombie92
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaff
So my car needs a full respray Being a perfectionist, I kept on hearing that voice behind my head saying the dealership wont do a perfect job. I painted the rear bumper few months back, and they did a good job, but a full respray is a whole different magnitude. After seeing there latest work on a few cars I came to the conclusion that this is not a job for the dealership. So I took it to one of the most reputable shops here, which work for very high profile cars and the Royal Automobile Museum. The only downside is that they charge more and they need more time, which is too little to sacrifice for a great result. I asked the wheels to be repainted to get rid of those curb rashes. I have a good feeling about it. Fingers crossed.
This is a pic, shop looks shabby but not there work. They took out all the parts, screws, boxed it, and documented it to avoid mixing up anything or losing it. The interior is completely covered and wrapped to avoid any dirt touching the interior.

And this is her with her big brother before she got hurt

Dude, the GS would like so good with those M6 rims. Can someone photoshop?
Old 04-19-11, 01:44 PM
sucka
Rookie

When i read 2200 for the cost of repaint, i started getting angry cuz the Lexus affiliated body shop charged me 1500 to do two panels + minor dent fixing on the panels. Felt better when i scrolled down and some other poster's comments.
Old 04-19-11, 06:40 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I think I'm gonn wrap my car in bubble wrapping!
Old 04-19-11, 07:21 PM
AristoDude
Driver School Candidate

Hey Folks,
I suggest this form of vandalism is part of the cost of owning something nice and visible in the world we live in - another form or terrorism - at the individual level. I experienced several cases of parking lot rash on a '00 GS, the first really nice car I owned. It seemed like the car drew attention from people who wanted to spoil it - (paranoid??)

Anyway, in the city where I live, I have known lots of people with nice wheels, (i.e., Beamers, Mercedes, Caddies, foreign sports jobs, etc.,) who have experienced key jobs, as well as automotive dealerships where there have been many cases of new vehicles scratched and gouged, and windows broken on their car lots overnight.

I spent over twenty years working in the criminal justice system with juveniles, and had a number of kids explain to me that keying cars was a way for them to get even with the world. Most of these guys had been abused as kids and kicked around through the foster home system, school drop outs at very early ages, and exposed to alcohol and drugs at early ages. I even had a couple of these young thugs show me how they held the key or nail in their hand to make the deepest possible gouges and get the most cars running through a parking lot or a dealers lot, or just running down the street. The message seemed to be that when some of these kids were/are bored , broke and angry, they make their own entertainment. I agree they are troubled, troublesome and troubling. Some or many of them grow out of this behaviour in time, but there is always a new crop coming up. I don't have the answer, but this is what I have learned from some of the guys that get off on vandalizing other people stuff.

I got another GS because I thought the problems of ownership (i.e., vandalism,) were outweighed by the pride of ownership and the fun I get from driving this car.

2006 GS300 AWD
Old 04-25-11, 11:19 AM
Jaff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
doesnt matter, could still be filled in.
When the whole car is scratched up, that method wouldn't be a good idea
Old 04-25-11, 11:20 AM
Jaff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I think I'm gonn wrap my car in bubble wrapping!
Or kevlar from what i've seen.

Quick Reply: Got Key'd!