GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Member, New Rim, lots of wide and stretch

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 03:54 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1supra
oem wheels have never been 2 or 3 piece with lips because its way cheaper to cast a one piece wheel for a production run....full face wheels will never have the $ look of a forged deep lip wheel
You think companies like Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. are worried about that when they design their wheels?
Old 04-01-11, 04:17 PM
otis_jzs
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for pics cause I want these wheels so much for my 2gs
Old 04-01-11, 04:44 PM
jea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
You think companies like Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. are worried about that when they design their wheels?
The main concern are the weight of the wheel. Since single piece forged wheels are way lighter, its clearly why most of them design fullface wheels for their vehicles. Not much automobile companies would design 3 piece deep dish wheel as their stock wheel.

I love lipped wheel as well. As much lip as possible. Lipped wheel look more elegance IMO plus offset on aftermarket 3-piece wheel can be custom made when single piece usually come in fix offset..
Old 04-01-11, 05:38 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Plus, it's the latest fanboy fad and I hate being a follower.
so it's not following to do a big lip wheel like everyone else has been doing for years?

It's an age or maturity thing IMO. I'd rather drive a stock vehicle and retire at <50 than dump $$$ into a "look" and work another decade+. The people I know that have built real wealth drive boring cars by most measures; they also own multiple homes and airplanes when most people are still making payments on their house and DDs. Everything is a tradeoff; for me, true custom work is impressive, but catalog bolt on baubles are just tossing money away to impress your friends.
Old 04-01-11, 05:58 PM
sticky4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't realize I was going to start a whole political debate on wheels...

Just wanted to show everyone what I was working on...
Old 04-01-11, 06:13 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
so it's not following to do a big lip wheel like everyone else has been doing for years?

It's an age or maturity thing IMO. I'd rather drive a stock vehicle and retire at <50 than dump $$$ into a "look" and work another decade+. The people I know that have built real wealth drive boring cars by most measures; they also own multiple homes and airplanes when most people are still making payments on their house and DDs. Everything is a tradeoff; for me, true custom work is impressive, but catalog bolt on baubles are just tossing money away to impress your friends.
its certainly young mens game trick out the rides,,i wouldnt be driving in 22s when i am in 50s,,its all about personal preferences,,,its like old rich guy marrys 25 year old babes,,all i know is 80% exotics are leased,,

Originally Posted by sticky4
Didn't realize I was going to start a whole political debate on wheels...

Just wanted to show everyone what I was working on...
hahha i know right,,,
Old 04-01-11, 07:13 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
its certainly young mens game trick out the rides,,i wouldnt be driving in 22s when i am in 50s,,its all about personal preferences,,,its like old rich guy marrys 25 year old babes,,all i know is 80% exotics are leased,,
I figure by staying married to my first wife, I'll save more than enough to pay cash for a Ferrari when I'm 50.
Old 04-01-11, 07:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I hate when people say crap they know nothing about...instead of offering an opinion...which is okay to be wrong.
I'm probably old enough to be your father. All of these styles have come and gone over the years. Non-lipped wheels does make the spokes look bigger...because they are bigger. Not more aggressive by no means. Non-lipped wheels look softer in my opinion. I also believe they are cheaper to make and easier to maintain. It is that reason oems use them. Buying aftermarket wheels that look like oems is dumb imo. Why would I spend big bucks to look stock? Everytime I say it it sounds even more dumb. Lips look more custom. If they also look dated it's because they are. So is non-lipped. One is not more dated than the other. To say one is older than the other is unintelligent. You like what u like....I like what I like. If u want to look stock, more power to you. I prefer to look custom for my big bucks.
I don't think Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Bugatti make full face wheels because they are cheaper and easier to maintain. Do you really believe that?
Old 04-01-11, 07:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
Exactly. Tells you a lot about the quality of his thinking.
Old 04-01-11, 07:41 PM
JasGS350
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pics

can't wait to see this when its done.
Old 04-01-11, 08:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i remember this.

i see you finally got the gold wheels.

i remember OP's car is white
Old 04-02-11, 06:39 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie

You could also save every penny you have ever earned, never buying anything or doing anything fun and walk out of your house and get hit by a bus and die. Then what? You lived a boring life and then died you cant take money with you when you leave! Life is too short, play hard!!
Old 04-02-11, 07:29 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love lips.
Old 04-02-11, 08:35 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
I love lips.
Lips are good, uhm kay.
Old 04-02-11, 04:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
You could also save every penny you have ever earned, never buying anything or doing anything fun and walk out of your house and get hit by a bus and die. Then what? You lived a boring life and then died you cant take money with you when you leave! Life is too short, play hard!!
+1 couldn't agree more. if you are gonna die, make sure you go with no regrets. coz when you go, all that hard earned money you save up is gonna become someone elses.

but on the flip side, saving for the future is important too (retirement, kid's college fund, home reno, etc). so a balanced perspective is probably what's required. 2 cents

Quick Reply: New Member, New Rim, lots of wide and stretch