GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake Job complete

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 07:29 AM
ASILVER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Job complete

I bought my car used @ 39,000 miles and ever since I purchased it the brakes squealed which in reading the forum it made it sound pretty normal, more recently 43,000 miles, I heard a groaning sound under braking, coming from the right side, I was thinking front. I took a quick search on the forum and found a few DIY's, I looked for a vendor and found US Autotech.

sent a PM, asking for stop tech blanks, and quiet pads any type is fine whatever was recommended. I was quoted a very very reasonable $395 shipped for all parts, which I thought was a fantastic deal.

Parts came in just a few days

Went over to a buddies that has a more comprehensive tool set than I and jack stands.

After a few dozen beers and a few hours, telling old stories in between each step, all was finished and is working well.

Just wanted to share my story LOL, and thank US autotech for supplying the parts quickly!!

oh I found the source of the groaning, there was a lip about 5 mm tall at the outer edge of the rotor surface, I guess the factory pads aren't as tall as the rotor surface, so my rotor was worn down 5mm on the inner and outer surface, the pad had about 1 mm left on the outer and 2mm left on the inner, so I made a good choice of replacing all parts

Old 04-08-11, 08:05 AM
canatto
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember they say: brake and (a lot of) beer don't mix....

I think the price is really good.
Old 04-08-11, 08:09 AM
ASILVER
Driver

Just so I'm not being a douchebag, a few dozen beers probably 4 hours total that we were there and 4 people so we weren't drinking to get drunk just enjoying a little wrenching
Old 04-08-11, 08:39 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Got any pics? Im changing my brake set up next week. I wonder if i should have went aftermarket with the rotors.. i like slotted rotors but overlooked them when i purchased the whole gs350 front brake kit from Sewell
Old 04-08-11, 09:10 PM
ASILVER
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Got any pics? Im changing my brake set up next week. I wonder if i should have went aftermarket with the rotors.. i like slotted rotors but overlooked them when i purchased the whole gs350 front brake kit from Sewell
I didn't take pics b/c the DIY already has pics, since the stock brakes have noise issues I don't see why anyone would use them as replacements.

as far as slotted rotors goes, there's no point on a road car, it's not going to provide any benefits, in fact it will typically just lower the integrity of the rotor by carving out material. Drilled rotors are worse, but I just wouldn't bother with either.

On my new brakes,
Performance is improved but that's probably just because I no longer have worn rotors / pads.

Can you explain the kit you bought? what comes in the kit and how much was it.
Old 04-09-11, 02:36 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Yeh i know.. its pretty much only useful on racing cars, but i think they look better than blanks. If i remember correctly, the 4 piston gs 350 front brake kit (calipers, rotors) i got is $597 after the club lexus member discount. I forget how much the rear rotors were, i think around $300. I did not get the rear calipers since they are the same. But the front gs 300 brakes are 2 pistons. Brake pads were separate n i dont know how much those were.
Old 04-10-11, 09:32 PM
ASILVER
Driver

So you are upgrading calipers/rotors/pads....gotcha I didn't realize the 06 had different brakes.

I'm getting a little crunching sounds as I come to a stop only when the steering wheel is slightly turned, my friend recommended it's possible there is now air in the lines so I should bleed the brakes, but if we didn't touch the sealed system I'm not sure how air would get in there. We'll see might bleed them when I get time, works flawlessly in a straight line and drove about 500 miles this weekend on a BBQ trip
Old 04-11-11, 08:03 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Mmmm bbq.. yeh well upgrading only the front calipers, the rest are jus replacements. Im also bleeding the brakes n putting new brake fluid. From what i hear, it takes 3 bottles of brake fluid.