GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ppl who have experance ridding on 20in rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 01:00 PM
Charlie088
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ppl who have experance ridding on 20in rims

my gs is my daily driver so i go everywhere with it. in boston we have bad streets here and there. know i was thinking about getting 19in rims with 35 series tire but i think 19in rims would look to small on a gs. the 20in looks perfect but i want to drop the car and 35 series tires look like it would rub if i drop the car the way i want it so that being said how is it riding on 20in rims with 30 series tires? do you have to keep check the air in the tire and puting air like making it an agavating thing and when you go over bumps how does it feel? and how would you mess or bend the rim? i am careful about sidewalks but im mainly tlking about holes in the road will they damage 20in rims?
Old 05-14-11, 02:59 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

medium size to big holes in the road will damage 20s, if you go over them like you did not even notice it. I bent my wheel last summer going over this elevated construction section of the road that I did not notice. The road was elevated about 1.5 to 2 inches compared to the road before the construction and I was probably going 30mph. I knew there was a bent wheel when i heard a SLAM! It was definetely felt and sounded different than going over a regular bump.

Im only on tein s techs right now n im extremely careful over speed bumps: I go over the bump 1 front wheel at a time, so basically im hitting the bump at an angle to prevent from bottoming out and it seems to be easier on the wheels as well.

If you get wheels period, you have to drive a lot more carefully than whatever your usual is. I mash out when im on stock 17's. When Im on my 20s, im extra extra careful, but i still have fun on the highways which usually have smooth roads. When i get my coils installed Ill def be driving even more carefully
Old 05-14-11, 03:09 PM
Charlie088
Rookie

thanks for responding. would it help if i got a 35 series tire for the front and a 30 for the back
Old 05-14-11, 03:29 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You want to put tires of different diameters on the front and the back, I've never heard that one before... bad idea.

The spelling and grammar in this thread is atrocious. :P </spelling **** out>

Last edited by BinaryJay; 05-14-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-14-11, 05:43 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea from what ive been told that would mess up the tranny, ive got 245/30/20 all around on mine mine is awd, and I had to learn how to drive very carefully like them guys with those dropped hondas to the ground lol have to drive with your eyes wide open and spot any bumps or anything that will damage your rim, also depending on the quality of your rims, you could easily crack em too
Old 05-20-11, 09:02 PM
putt4dough
Driver School Candidate

on 20's now....just avoid anything that looks like trouble
Old 05-20-11, 09:19 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This link(http://www.willtheyfit.com/) will help you make sure that your tires front and rear are the same overall diameter if you are running a staggered setup. I have stretched tires on 20s and drive in the city slammed. When you ride rims you just have to be alert and try not to hit things, the bottom line is if you hit something with a 30 series tire and you bend your rim 9 xs outta 10 you would have had the same results with the 35. As far as tire pressure I would run it slightly higher than normal this will roughen the ride slightly but also protect the rim a little better, also the smaller profiled tires don t lose air any faster cause of the size your the second person this week that has had this ?. anyway this is my advice you want to ride fly got have a sharp eye and pay attention to the road.
Old 05-20-11, 10:04 PM
yoondog
Driver

I've had mine for a few months now and I'm definitely more alert when I drive now. The roads aren't that bad in here in southern California so I'm not worrying as much. But you should keep an eye on the road and whats ahead of you so you can be ready to dodge or slow down.
Old 05-21-11, 02:29 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

I have 20's on my M5 and absolutely have no problems, regardless of road quality. I wish I had gone with 20's for my GS instead of 19's.
Old 05-21-11, 05:09 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

19's won't look too small with the right wheel selection. They are better for rough roads.
I have 20's and I try to drive carefully. Every now and then it's going to happen though....that pothole you didn't see. Eventually, you have to pay to play in this game.
Old 06-02-11, 09:58 PM
theoryJ
Driver School Candidate

I live in NYC and desperately want to ride on 20"s but I'm afraid it just doesn't make financial sense (at least for me). The roads around here are horrible for so many reasons.

Last year I purchased an E-Class Benz.While taking it home from the dealership for the first time, I hit a pothole and caught a flat.

While at the tire shop, I couldn't help but notice the long line of people waiting to have their rims fixed. The shop owner shared that he makes more money by fixing bent rims than he does from selling them.

My current plan is to buy some 19" F-Sport wheels and ride those in place of my 17" factory wheels.
Old 06-02-11, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

couple of things. OP didn't say if he has awd or rwd (though i tend to think it's awd). if it's awd then yes, you need to make sure diameter very close to each other front and rear. if it's rwd, you can run different diameter wheels front and rear all day long and there is no problem. now why would someone do that, that's a different question. i know i wouldn't

for the wheels, it's all about how careful you drive. imho, 19s with 35 profile tires or 20s with 35 profile or 20s with 30 profile, if you are driving at decent speed and you hit a pothole, your chance of crying over a flat or bent wheel is just as likely.

also, for educational purpose, profile is just a ratio. 245/35/19 and 285/30/19 actually have the same overall diameter

last of all, my opinion? if you drive carefully, i would say go for 20s. for tires, if you don't mind a little rubbing, consider higher profile. if you hate rubbing, stick to stock diameter but expect a harsher ride.
Old 06-03-11, 05:06 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

when it comes to modifying cars you have to realize its a whole different world of driving. driving a lowered car is a lot different just like driving with a thin sidewall is different. i have 20s on my car with a 30 series tire and i have never bent a rim. ive accidently hit some potholes but nothing major. with thin sidewalls like a 30 series you pretty much have to remember the roads and where all the potholes/bumps/etc.. are. you have to be good at avoiding them and going around.
Old 06-03-11, 06:29 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if you got poor reflexes and can t see ride factory!
Old 06-03-11, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
So if you got poor reflexes and can t see ride factory!
actually, you shouldn't be driving!

Quick Reply: ppl who have experance ridding on 20in rims