GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Stick with OEM brake pads? Maybe rotors are bad as well?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 03:16 AM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick with OEM brake pads? Maybe rotors are bad as well?

Hi,

About a week ago I bought an 08 AWD GS 350 from a Lexus dealer. The car is still under warranty, but not a CPO. After the purchase I noticed that it makes a really loud, annoying, screeching sound when braking at low speeds (Something along these lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzHtB6c0ld4). This is happens in both forward and reverse directions. I think the front left brake is the culprit. I have also noticed that the brake paddle wobbles when braking at higher speeds pointing to some sort of possible rotor issues.

I have an appointment with the local dealer tomorrow morning to get it checked out and I am guessing that I will have to replace at least the brake pads. Looking around on the forums I have read that people suggest aftermarket brake pads. How important is that? Any ideas on how much the dealer might charge? Would any of this be covered under warranty? I saw that there was a TSIB for a similar issue, but I read that it might apply only to 07 GS'.

I am surprised that the official Lexus dealer that I bought this from, who is very far, in another state, did not catch this in their "extensive" God-knows-how-many point check. They did replace the tires and took care of some other recall, but somehow missed this. Depending on what I find out, I am thinking of contacting their manager to let them know how unsatisfied I am.
Old 06-05-11, 03:42 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Try your luck and get them to look at it under their obligation. I say you need new brake pads in the front.
Old 06-05-11, 07:36 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

sounds like u need new brake pads n rotors.
Old 06-05-11, 08:05 AM
Harlemboi
Driver

I would go back to the dealer u brought it from and raise hell because u just brought that car... Trust me, they'll fix it for u. But, u should have noticed that sound when u brought it and made them fix it before u drove it away
Old 06-05-11, 09:36 AM
bigalexus
Rookie

i have the same issue right now after replacing brake pads and rotors. I'm guessing mine is an install issue and something wasn't set right. Is your car squealing when making turns even when not pressing the brake?
Old 06-05-11, 12:10 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Default pads n rotors

Strange how they sold that car with it making noise like that. They are usually very thorough about their certified products. Here is my two cents.
I have a 07 GS 350 which is sitting at the dealer right now as I type this getting its 60k service done (thats a whole other thread I posted here last week - to replace the plugs at 60k or not) Yesterday the service writer called me to state that there is a "lip" on the outer edge of the rotor and that 1) they will not turn Lexus rotors like everyone else in the world and 2) that they will not put new pads on the current rotors.
If you are following me then you see that they are saying that I need new rotors and pads! They wanted $800 to put on both rotors and pads.
Granted, I too was hitting the wear indicators (that screeching you hear) but it was not in all the same circumstances as yours. I have a trusted Japanese car repair shop owner who stated he could do it for half that price, using the same OEM rotors. I get a military discount at all parts stores so he just said grab the parts and he would repair them. Based on what I read, and spoke to various techs on, you SHOULD use the OEM rotors since aftermarket ones are not as sound. But Raybestos pads (blue or gold box) are fine.
I am all about having Lexus do serious stuff on the maint schedule but some things are just too steep for my bank account. I would def get with them on your issue and see if they can eat the brake job since you just bought it from them. Good luck and keep it on two wheels!!
Old 06-05-11, 05:53 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it could also be that it's missing the brake shims, causing the squealing sound at low speeds. i agree with everyone else that the pedal wobble is a warped rotor.
Old 06-05-11, 08:06 PM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigalexus
i have the same issue right now after replacing brake pads and rotors. I'm guessing mine is an install issue and something wasn't set right. Is your car squealing when making turns even when not pressing the brake?
No, in my case it is only when I press the brake. I haven't noticed any relation to turns.
Old 06-06-11, 12:24 AM
mag1c12783
Driver School Candidate

I have the EXACT same noise as you. I took it to the dealer and they said the brake pads are fine. They were actually new. I had bought my car used so apparently the person before me who took to get the pads changed had tossed away the shims which is causing that noise. I"m wondering if there's anyway to do something about replacing just shims instead of getting all new pads
Old 06-06-11, 06:14 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mag1c12783
I have the EXACT same noise as you. I took it to the dealer and they said the brake pads are fine. They were actually new. I had bought my car used so apparently the person before me who took to get the pads changed had tossed away the shims which is causing that noise. I"m wondering if there's anyway to do something about replacing just shims instead of getting all new pads
i ordered the shims off sewell lexus' site and installed them yesterday. there's a DIY here for brake jobs so you can easily do it for less than $100 including parts.
Old 06-06-11, 06:15 AM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the input. I just dropped off the car at the dealership. They should be getting back to me within the next hour or two. I will post an update on what they find out.

@GunnyFitz This wasn't a CPO, but the Lexus dealer was still claiming that they did the extensive check. Thanks for your input. Depending on how much they quote, I might just bring it back and have it done elsewhere because $800 is a lot more than what I am hoping to pay. I can live with the rotors for a bit, but the screeching sound is just too much.

@mag1c12783 Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge to answer your question, but my guess would be that you probably can.
Old 06-06-11, 08:19 AM
LexBubba55
Driver School Candidate

I also had the loud squealing sound when I was breaking when I bought my Gs this past New years. But when I got the car inspected the breaks passed and when I got my oil changed they said the breaks are good. But anyway I lived with it for a while and it stopped. It might do it from time to time but not every time I break now.
Old 06-06-11, 09:22 AM
shahry
Driver School Candidate

Just got a call back. They are going to replace the pads and rotors under a TSIB so they will be covering the cost! Yay! =D Will go pick up it up in a few hours. Nice
Old 06-06-11, 04:16 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice glad not all dealership wanna rape your pockets