GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 Gs350 AWD vibration and rattle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 11:31 PM
chanho083
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2008 Gs350 AWD vibration and rattle problem

Hello lexus club members!

My english writing skill is not great, so if you see some of problem with my

writing? please excuse me.

Well, I just bought a 2008 Gs350 AWD (16K) about month ago, and I started realized there is problems with my car.

I am not saying that all gs350 cars do that but MY CAR RATTLES+ VIBRATES.

I can feel it when I stopped for the red light, but when I switched gear to neutral or park, it doesnt vibrate.

Is it normal? or my car is just defect? My car is accident free and has only

16K miles on it. I searched online and found that it might be ALE Valve Spring problem but what if it is not from the valve?

I am going to take my car for the service but I would like to have some ideas before I take it to the dealership.

Please help me, I am sad,
Old 06-08-11, 11:59 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Some vibration at a red light is inevitable. It does go away when you put the gear shifter in P or N. Rattling? Depends on what and where. I have an 08 GS350 AWD, and I guess I lucked out, never had any rattles.

The valve spring recall was done on my car, but it made absolutely no difference in how the car runs or sounds. Some people on this forum reported some improvements following the valve job, but I am not one of them.
Old 06-09-11, 01:05 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello and welcome,
Well the really rough idle (vibration in steering and seat) in the 3GS is also known as normal (by what dealer is saying). I have a 2007 and the idle is ruff, I have the vibration at the light that you wouldn't expect a lexus to have. I have done the Spring recall,changed my spark plugs everything but no luck. Rattles in the car are pretty common for us also, I have some but usually close towards winter time.
Old 06-09-11, 07:16 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i get some slight vibration at idle too so i hate to say it but it is normal. as for the rattling, i took some strips of felt and stuffed them in between my dash windshield and it helped a lot. my only major problems is the squeaking noise coming from the rear window when the inside of the car is really hot.

클럽 렉서스에 오신것을 환영합니다!
Old 06-09-11, 10:04 AM
chanho083
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thank you.

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Hello and welcome,
Well the really rough idle (vibration in steering and seat) in the 3GS is also known as normal (by what dealer is saying). I have a 2007 and the idle is ruff, I have the vibration at the light that you wouldn't expect a lexus to have. I have done the Spring recall,changed my spark plugs everything but no luck. Rattles in the car are pretty common for us also, I have some but usually close towards winter time.
After reading your reply, I feel much better, but some of GS350 AWD owner saying that they don't have any vibration through out the car what so ever!
I don't know if i am being too sensitive about it? or what....
But thank you for your reply
Old 06-09-11, 10:06 AM
chanho083
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you,

Originally Posted by gridlock13
i get some slight vibration at idle too so i hate to say it but it is normal. as for the rattling, i took some strips of felt and stuffed them in between my dash windshield and it helped a lot. my only major problems is the squeaking noise coming from the rear window when the inside of the car is really hot.

클럽 렉서스에 오신것을 환영합니다!
감사합니다,
어쩔수가 없나봐요 ㅜ.ㅜ
그래도 제 차를 사랑하니까 괜찮습니다.
Old 06-09-11, 01:31 PM
skim07
Driver

it sucks but you have to live with it. I was also told by the dealer that this is a normal feature. Its a feature I don't want. My wife's GX is vibration free at a red light and no rattles in winter. Just doesn't make sense that a sedan vibrates like a truck.
Old 06-09-11, 01:45 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Assume you are still under warranty. If the rattles are bad, have the dealer address it. They are equipped to pull your dash, etc.

If it rattles after their attempt to fix it, try correcting using the felt between the dash and window trick.

Search the forums for my and other's tips on it.

Slight vibration is normal, so it depends on how much it is vibrating...I am lucky to not have this issue.

Good Luck.
Old 06-09-11, 02:51 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chanho083

감사합니다,
어쩔수가 없나봐요 ㅜ.ㅜ
그래도 제 차를 사랑하니까 괜찮습니다.
??????????????????????????????????????
Old 06-09-11, 02:59 PM
chanho083
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry, I posted wrong thing~

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
??????????????????????????????????????
Sorry, I was about to say thank you for your help and I guess I have to just deal with it.
Once again, thank you
Old 06-09-11, 03:03 PM
chanho083
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by skim07
it sucks but you have to live with it. I was also told by the dealer that this is a normal feature. Its a feature I don't want. My wife's GX is vibration free at a red light and no rattles in winter. Just doesn't make sense that a sedan vibrates like a truck.
sigh.... Thank you.
I guess I just have to deal with it, but I would like to take it to dealer and see what they say.
I will keep post it on forum after trip to dealer.
Old 06-09-11, 03:09 PM
davidwhang
Driver

I have no issues w/ my 2007 GS 350 RWD. Maybe it's an AWD thing?
I work at Lexus of Westminster and didn't hear too much about this. If it is something very common, I would hear more about it. You should try the dealer anyways just to be sure.
Old 08-30-11, 04:46 AM
lex326
Rookie

I too have noticed that there is a slight ticking sound at idle, and a slight vibration. Nothing to get excited about, but when I took an ES out as a loaner car the other day, the difference was noticable.
Old 08-30-11, 06:43 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the ticking is from the direct injection system which the ES engines don't have. i also think the engine mounts on the ES are softer to absorb more vibration. they might even be liquid filled.
Old 08-30-11, 08:01 AM
supert
Driver School Candidate

I have an 08 350 AWD and it does not vibrate at all. If I put my iphone on pocket door sid (small one next to the windows control), it makes a little vibrate noise. Other then that, it's solid.

Quick Reply: 2008 Gs350 AWD vibration and rattle problem