GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Staggered Offsets/Tires Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 02:19 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staggered Offsets/Tires Advice

I know another thread needing wheel help...Well I trust the knowledge and advice of the members on this forum more than I do local tire shops.

On my 2006 GS300 I currently have 2 bent rims (20x8.5 non staggered on stock suspension) and it's time for a new setup.

Needing to get some new rims and tires ideally by Saturday. I would like to use the new setup on stock suspension for a few months until I get some coilovers soon.
After wearing out the Search button I need some advice on lowering with the following wheel setup:

20x8.5 +37 245/30 or 245/35
20x10 +44 275/25 or 275/30

I don't think those specs would give me any issues on the stock suspension setup (or will it?), but do you think I'll be able to do a nice drop on coilovers later on?

If this set up is ok, how low would I be able to go w/out fender modifications?

Or does anyone have a recommendation for another Rim/Offset+Tire setup that would work with a nice drop on coils without fender mods involved?

Let me know what you think, thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-11, 09:22 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HamBurglar
I know another thread needing wheel help...Well I trust the knowledge and advice of the members on this forum more than I do local tire shops.

On my 2006 GS300 I currently have 2 bent rims (20x8.5 non staggered on stock suspension) and it's time for a new setup.

Needing to get some new rims and tires ideally by Saturday. I would like to use the new setup on stock suspension for a few months until I get some coilovers soon.
After wearing out the Search button I need some advice on lowering with the following wheel setup:

20x8.5 +37 245/30 or 245/35
20x10 +44 275/25 or 275/30

I don't think those specs would give me any issues on the stock suspension setup (or will it?), but do you think I'll be able to do a nice drop on coilovers later on?

If this set up is ok, how low would I be able to go w/out fender modifications?

Or does anyone have a recommendation for another Rim/Offset+Tire setup that would work with a nice drop on coils without fender mods involved?

Let me know what you think, thanks in advance!
I think the setup you posted is fine. Many members here have Vossen wheels on their 3GS, some with similar offsets to stock and some with more aggressive fitment. Wheels are usually 20x9 front and 20x10.5 rear (19s are offered in certain styles).

In regards to tires, the first set you post is as close to stock as possible, the 2nd set is meatier but still should not give issues.

GS Gallery here

http://www.vossenwheels.com/gallery/.../Lexus_GS.aspx

Here is one for example

Our warranty info

Hope this helps a little bit.

Mike
Old 07-01-11, 07:36 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vossen makes a great wheel. For the money you get a quality product with the same look a more expensive multi piece wheel gives you.
Old 07-01-11, 07:39 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Btw I spent 4 times the amount on a set of asantis that are pieces of junk in comparison to my one piece Vossen wheel!
Old 07-01-11, 07:58 AM
HamBurglar
Driver

Thanks for the replies!

With the above mentioned Rim and Tire specs, what would ya'll recommend to be the ideal offset for the front and rear on a 1.5" - 2.0" drop w/out fender modifications?

Or would those +37 and +44 do the trick with a 1.5" - 2.0" drop w/out fender modifications?

I've read alot of good things about Vossens on this forum, what kind of price range are we looking at for the type of setup I mentioned above? $500/wheel? $1000/wheel?
Old 07-01-11, 08:31 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

I'm lowered about 2-3 inches (im AWD so I started out a bit higher than RWD) running Vossens 20x9 +38 with 245/30 on the front and 20x10.5 +45 with 285/25 on the rear. I never had much problems until I put a camber kit on the rear bringing my wheels more flush causing it to rub slightly when I hit hard bumps.
Old 07-01-11, 08:54 AM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by Kcook700
I'm lowered about 2-3 inches (im AWD so I started out a bit higher than RWD) running Vossens 20x9 +38 with 245/30 on the front and 20x10.5 +45 with 285/25 on the rear. I never had much problems until I put a camber kit on the rear bringing my wheels more flush causing it to rub slightly when I hit hard bumps.
Oh ok. So it only started rubbing once you corrected the camber with 10.5 +45?

The Vossens working out pretty good for you? Any problems with the outer barrel denting/bending?

I like a simple 5 bar design and am partial to chrome (personal preference). The VVS 084's look pretty clean.
Old 07-01-11, 09:16 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Ok I'm riding o. 20x9 30offset in the front and 20x10.5 in the rear 35 offset. I do not rub at all and have rolled my fender. 235/20/30 in the front and 255/30/20 in rear on coils. Riding on strausse forged wheels and I can tell you you will find a better wheel company to do business with out there. Rob thier sales guys make sure you are involved every step of the way. JMO check them out if you want a set of well built wheels.
Old 07-01-11, 11:47 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Oh ok. So it only started rubbing once you corrected the camber with 10.5 +45?

The Vossens working out pretty good for you? Any problems with the outer barrel denting/bending?

I like a simple 5 bar design and am partial to chrome (personal preference). The VVS 084's look pretty clean.
Yeah, once I put the camber kit on it started rubbin. These are my second set or rims on my car and I love them. Although the wifey drives the car a lot, I cringe when she gets close to curbs, LOL. No problems with the barrel or lip. You can tell these are quality wheels. If you are worried about the lip, you may want to go with a more conservative tire and not so much of the stretch look to protect the lip more.

I have the black machined vv-82's, but love the vv-83's too. IMO Vossen wheels are all clean designs that match with the car's class. If you are looking for more of a modern trend design, the concave series would be the way to go. Concave is not for me as I love me a nice set of deep lips!
Old 07-01-11, 02:08 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

I would go with the 20x9+32 and 20x10.5 +39 Vossen makes these offsets and put a 245/30-20 (f) 285/25-20 (r) I went with vredestine sessanta tires and absolutely love them they have a rounder sidewall granting more clearance without stretching. You should need very minimal fender mods if any at all with this set up. This is still a conservative set up but leans toward the more aggressive side of the spectrum anything less aggressive will start looking weak. I have had 3 sets of wheels and all different sized spacers from 5-20mm on this car I know my ****
Old 07-02-11, 12:26 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Swtjlsy
Thanks for the input. I'd prefer not to mod fenders if possible. What price range do those Strausse forged run per wheel?

Kcook700,
That's good to know, roads kind of suck where I live so I break rims easily.

Lkapimp216,
Yeah I've seen a lot of your posts on wheel/offsets along with a few other members which is why I know y'all are going to lead me I'm the right direction.
So which that +32 and +39, how much fender mods you think we are looking at here without lowering and with lowering?
Do you have any other offset suggestions that wouldn't require any fender mods with and without lowering?

Mike,
Can you throw me a quote on some vossen 084, chrome is available or silver w/chrome barrel.

Hopefully with the help from the members here on this forum i'll be able to find the best offset and wheel setup which won't require and fender mods lowered and not lowered.
Looking to order rims and tires soon so any input is much appreciated, thanks again.
Old 07-02-11, 05:32 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

You may need to trim the inside fender edge slightly but if you use those vredestines you may just clear. My fenders were shaved before I had I thus set up, but I know that it's conservative in comparision to what I'm running now. I have a 12.5mm spacer in the rear and a 20 mm on the front if there is a slight shave needed it will be the rear.
Old 07-02-11, 08:40 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
Vossen makes a great wheel. For the money you get a quality product with the same look a more expensive multi piece wheel gives you.
Thanks for the compliments again.

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Yeah, once I put the camber kit on it started rubbin. These are my second set or rims on my car and I love them. Although the wifey drives the car a lot, I cringe when she gets close to curbs, LOL. No problems with the barrel or lip. You can tell these are quality wheels. If you are worried about the lip, you may want to go with a more conservative tire and not so much of the stretch look to protect the lip more.

I have the black machined vv-82's, but love the vv-83's too. IMO Vossen wheels are all clean designs that match with the car's class. If you are looking for more of a modern trend design, the concave series would be the way to go. Concave is not for me as I love me a nice set of deep lips!
Glad to here you love our wheels and thanks for the support and compiments.

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
I would go with the 20x9+32 and 20x10.5 +39 Vossen makes these offsets and put a 245/30-20 (f) 285/25-20 (r) I went with vredestine sessanta tires and absolutely love them they have a rounder sidewall granting more clearance without stretching. You should need very minimal fender mods if any at all with this set up. This is still a conservative set up but leans toward the more aggressive side of the spectrum anything less aggressive will start looking weak. I have had 3 sets of wheels and all different sized spacers from 5-20mm on this car I know my ****

Swtjlsy
Mike,
Can you throw me a quote on some vossen 084, chrome is available or silver w/chrome barrel.
Sure thing, PM sent!

Happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-03-11, 10:53 AM
HamBurglar
Driver

Lkapimp216,
Oh i see. How low (inches) are you dropped?
Do you bottom out or scrap or anything like that (turns, drive ways, speed bumps, etc...).
No rubbing/scrapping, is that your car one deep or with a full passenger load?
With the 12.5 R and 20 F spacers whats that put the total offset at?

Mike,
Got your PM, good looking out.

Sorry for any poor grammer and/or spelling, i hate posting on iPad/iPhone.
If anyone else has any input or has any personal experience they'd like to contribute it would greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-03-11, 12:23 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

I am lowered 3+inches and scrape on everything but I don t have to daily drive my car. I can still go over smaller speed bumps there is technique involved when driving this low and I must say I have turned into a beast at it the trickiest thing is not clipping the front fenders while turning and hitting bumps. My rims should stretch my front tires more and help with this. Atleast that is the idea My set up isn t very realistic for everyday driving but you would be surprised how much I push it! My offsets with spacers are 20x9+12 &20x10.5+26.5 my new wheels are going to be 20x9.5+17&20x10.5+26 they should be here by Sept. these specs with significant tire stretching push wheel fitment close to the maximum before you need fender pull and/or camber kits, neither of which I desire to do at this point.

Quick Reply: Staggered Offsets/Tires Advice