GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 GS450h Weird Sound From Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 08:07 PM
Tilani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GS450h Weird Sound From Hood

Hi Guys,
My car is making some weird noise as soon as I open the door (without the engine on). The noise stays there when I start the car and goes away after I shut the car off, lock the doors, and wait 5-10 minutes.

I made a video of the sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnvXthu6op4

Video Summary : 0-10 Seconds, no sound. 10-25 sec, door is opened and sound starts. 25-31 sec, sound stops, door still open. 31-end, door is closed, locked, sound comes and goes. It gets louder in the video towards the end (I moved the phone closer).

It is comming from the hood, but I just took the video at night with a low battery cell phone so I didn't open the hood up and make a longer video. I am assuming its a battery problem but I don't think anything should happen by just opening the door. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-11, 08:59 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 430 does the same thing and i have always wondered what that was.... I think it has something to do with the suspension system but im not sure....
Old 07-02-11, 10:58 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This reminds me of something like that vacuum sound you get after 10 of shutting the car of. Its technology, who knows what that can be. But to calm you down its critters having sex . Once they hear the owner came they trying to amuse him.
Old 07-03-11, 01:43 AM
Tilani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
This reminds me of something like that vacuum sound you get after 10 of shutting the car of. Its technology, who knows what that can be. But to calm you down its critters having sex . Once they hear the owner came they trying to amuse him.
Anyone knowledgable have any input on this issue? The engine doesn't need to be on for it to happen so what exactly gets turned on when the door is opened?
Old 07-03-11, 02:24 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always thought it's some gear check. but yours seem to stay on longer than mine.
Old 07-12-11, 08:48 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

ever figure out what this was???
Old 07-12-11, 12:47 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

nope, i don't have anything like that buzzing noise in my 450h. quick question: did you install any (electrical) mods? the only thing i can think of is perhaps a relay that doesn't get enough current and starts to buzz. i had that problem with my puddle lights until i relocated my relay to the hood. but still...i don't have anything that loud or annoying!
Old 07-12-11, 02:35 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
nope, i don't have anything like that buzzing noise in my 450h. quick question: did you install any (electrical) mods? the only thing i can think of is perhaps a relay that doesn't get enough current and starts to buzz. i had that problem with my puddle lights until i relocated my relay to the hood. but still...i don't have anything that loud or annoying!

nope mine is all factory under the hood....
Old 07-13-11, 09:45 AM
loccsta187
Driver

i have an 06 gs430 and it does the same thing....
Old 07-13-11, 10:27 AM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does same sound on my '09 GS450h
Old 07-13-11, 01:22 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

i really would love to know what that noise is...
Old 07-14-11, 08:08 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tilani
Hi Guys,
My car is making some weird noise as soon as I open the door (without the engine on). The noise stays there when I start the car and goes away after I shut the car off, lock the doors, and wait 5-10 minutes.

Video Summary : 0-10 Seconds, no sound. 10-25 sec, door is opened and sound starts. 25-31 sec, sound stops, door still open. 31-end, door is closed, locked, sound comes and goes. It gets louder in the video towards the end (I moved the phone closer).

It is comming from the hood, but I just took the video at night with a low battery cell phone so I didn't open the hood up and make a longer video. I am assuming its a battery problem but I don't think anything should happen by just opening the door. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Yes mine does it, and I was told by a tech that its just the system running through doing a self check of the hybrid after you lock the car. Nothing to be worried about!
Old 07-22-11, 01:50 AM
Tilani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yes mine does it, and I was told by a tech that its just the system running through doing a self check of the hybrid after you lock the car. Nothing to be worried about!
Hey man thanks for the input,
I am gonna take the car to a dealer later this week (i've been busy), but I still find it weird that it does it only when I unlock the car. Isn't it a bit strange for it to do a self check the second I unlock the door as opposed to starting the car?

Another forums suggests that it could be a break-actuator related noise. If I press/depress the break the noise and vibration on the brake pedal do stop momentarily, but resume if I keep my foot on the pedal long enough or let go.

I'll keep you guys updated! Glad to know I am not alone
Old 07-22-11, 04:27 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Mine is not a hybrid and it does the exact same thing so it can't be something hybrid related.
Old 07-22-11, 05:58 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tilani
Hey man thanks for the input,
I am gonna take the car to a dealer later this week (i've been busy), but I still find it weird that it does it only when I unlock the car. Isn't it a bit strange for it to do a self check the second I unlock the door as opposed to starting the car?

Another forums suggests that it could be a break-actuator related noise. If I press/depress the break the noise and vibration on the brake pedal do stop momentarily, but resume if I keep my foot on the pedal long enough or let go.

I'll keep you guys updated! Glad to know I am not alone
Mine only does it when I shut off the car not when I unlock the car, yeah see what they say!

Quick Reply: 2007 GS450h Weird Sound From Hood