GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Good competitors to the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11 | 12:30 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Default Good competitors to the GS?

Hey guys, I have been waiting for a new car for over a year now and am finally able to purchase a car (delayed due to school and many other reasons). Well it turns out that a new generation of GS will be released soon and makes me reconsider purchasing a used 3GS.

What are some good competitors to the Lexus GS?

I am looking for a used car (hate the huge depreciation of brand new cars).

I was also considering the G37S Coupe but for some reason that car doesn't give the luxurious vibe as much.

Or should I just wait until the release of the new generation GS so that current used 3GS will drop a bit more in price and buy?

Reliability is also a pretty large factor considering my old GS has almost 200K miles on it and it still runs great, we'd like for them to last a while.
Old 07-13-11 | 04:39 AM
twylie
Advanced

before buying my GS430, I looked at Merc E Class, BMW 5 series, Audi A6, & Infiniti M. All had their pluses and minuses, but none had the mix of Lux/Sport/Reliability the Lexus offered. I generally keep my daily driver for a long time so reliability of the German options had me leaning toward the Lexus or Infiniti. The Infiniti felt too boy racerish for my taste. It was taught and a blast to drive, but I could see those aspects growing old after 6 months. I also hated the M's Navitainment control.

Once the next gen GS is released, the current models will sill be great cars and an even better bargain. Even though it's 5+ years old, I think the design is aging pretty well.
Old 07-13-11 | 04:49 AM
designo
Pole Position

BMW 5 series, Benz E klass, Audi A6, Infinity M, Jaguar S type
Old 07-13-11 | 05:36 AM
bigblack06

honestly I would wait for the new GS to come before buying anything, although the only competitors I see is the new BMW 5 and the Mercedes E class, those actually match up in my book.
Old 07-13-11 | 01:00 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

You are in an interesting dilemma.

You want reliability... so I agree w twylie that Japanese is the way to go...especially for long term reliability.

There is only one caveat to the statement above. That is when the car is in its first generation. I have no data but I would guess Japanese cars do better than others in a direct comparison of new generation releases. Regardless, I typically stay away from a car until at least the 2nd year of production (no matter what the make).

Maybe wait to see if the 4GS is worth the wait? If you dont want to buy new you will be waiting 2 years + for this.

Wish I had an answer to this dilemma. I agree w the car choices offered. BMW 5, Inf M possibly the G.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by MelYW; 07-13-11 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-13-11 | 01:24 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

You honestly didn't know what the GS's competitors are? (rhetorical question)

Yeah, wait for the 4GS to come out before you make a decisoin. Get a car under warranty and reliability isn't a concern.
Old 07-13-11 | 03:58 PM
krschee
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same shoes. I'd add the Mercedes CLS to the mix. Given the inflated GS prices, the CLS is not too far away (upper 30s-low 40s for a 2008-2009). Maintenance on the CLS (or any German car) is going to hit you hard.

Current GS prices should level out in the next 2-3 months. Prices for the 3GS will take a hit once the 4GS is released. I've been looking for the past 4 months and basically, it's the worst possible time to buy a GS right now.
Old 07-14-11 | 12:50 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

I have actually considered the 5 series and the E class as well but both of those got hug redesigns basically this year and thus there isn't a big price drop in the used market for those cars. While yes there are the previous generations for those cars, I really like the styling of the new generations of both but depreciation for those 2 cars in the next few years will be huge. And I personally do not like the CLS styling at all.

I was just throwing it out there in case I might have missed something.
Old 07-14-11 | 10:08 AM
Spokes
Driver School Candidate

When I purchased my 02 GS300 I tried all the competition. IMO nothing came close to my GS. I have an ES350 now, going back to the GS in 2013.
I looked again at the MB E350 and C350. Turned off by the plastic seats.
BMW did nothing for me for the price they were asking. Infiniti was close but no cigar.
First post, glad to join this forum.
Old 07-14-11 | 02:54 PM
j0emama
Pole Position

Not really a comparable to the GS at all, but I think the new Buick Regal GS looks mint. Not very quick for the Turbo or GS, but looks good (interior is nice too), or am I just getting OLD to like Buick?

Old 07-14-11 | 04:14 PM
Harlemboi
Driver

The only car I think that's hanging wit the Gs in it's class is the m35!! My best friend has one and we switch cars every once in a while.. I'm not gonna lie, I like the m35 alot and it is much more sportier then the Gs. But the ride on the lex is undiscribable!! Nothin has more luxury then a Lexus IMO..Gs hands down!!
Old 07-14-11 | 04:16 PM
Harlemboi
Driver

Originally Posted by j0emama
Not really a comparable to the GS at all, but I think the new Buick Regal GS looks mint. Not very quick for the Turbo or GS, but looks good (interior is nice too), or am I just getting OLD to like Buick?

No it's not just you.. That Buick is sick!!!
Old 07-14-11 | 04:37 PM
mikesm
Rookie

I think the A7 is definitely a great competitor, even with the V6 engine. Great telematics too.
Old 07-14-11 | 08:33 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

New Buick exterior design is really awesome. There is just something I dont like about the instrument panel....looks....well, classically GM.

The bigger issue is this...with the poor reliability and customer service issues I have had to deal with, I will have a hard time giving my cold hard earned cash to them.

Too many competitors who are much much more deserving than GM.

Last edited by MelYW; 07-15-11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-15-11 | 06:19 AM
twylie
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelYW
New Buick exterior design is really awesome. There is just something I dont like about the instrument panel....looks....well, classically GM.

The bigger issue is thios...with the poor reliability and customer service issues I have had to deal with, I will have a hard time giving my cold hard earned cash to them.

Too many competitors who are much much more deserving than GM.
FWD FTL

10char

Quick Reply: Good competitors to the GS?