GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11 GS 350 accident aftermath...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lostnspace
Thank goodness, you were able to walk away from that! Learning the difference between breaking and accelerating at age 16, can be a bit confusing .

I will take you up on that. I did not sleep last night, because I've had a mild concussion before and the doctors wanted me to stay up 24 hours. I figured the would apply to this car accident. I've taken about 1000 mg of Advil, and aside from the stiffness and broken heart, I feel quite fine. I will go to medical just so everything can be documented.

I agree! I know this was not exactly a front impact accident, but my head did hit the driver side window (so thankful for those side airbags) but just seeing the how everything transpired I would've had increased peace mind that my driver's airbag would've deployed.

On another good note the Lexus SOS worked like a charm, and the lady came on immediately and stayed on the line until my car was being hitched to the tow truck.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone
yes, when our sc430 got rear ended with my wife in it, she didn't feel anything on her body until 3-4 days later. she felt soreness around her neck. went to chiropractor and xray, and saw one of the vertebrae got shifted. took a while and a lot of treatments to correct that. so yes, please don't take it lightly. better safe than sorry
Old 07-16-11, 02:11 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

if it's not totaled, it's damn near close. it's $10-$15K just to replace the airbags. And since they all came out (minus the steering wheel) they'll have to replace the interior leather as well. looks like a lot of panels are toast, so I can't imagine them not totaling it.

my 2008 was "worth" $42,000 when I had my wreck last November....totaled, so stranger things can happen.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-morning.html
Old 07-16-11, 03:37 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

That seems like a scene from an action movie lol!

I actually got t-boned on the driver side, and did an 180, hit a median, them slammed into another car on my passenger side.

I was the only passenger in the car and everything happened so quickly.

I was shocked at how well the car took all the impact...I don't think my 08 IS would have made it through the same accident.
Thanks for the background on the accident. Any guess as to how fast the Ranger was going when it hit you?

Given your description of the event, I wouldn't be too worried the airbags in the front didn't deploy. As mentioned, they rely on a variety of triggers to initiate deployment and the electronics obviously made the call to deploy both sides as needed. Do you recall if the sides deployed simultaneously or if the drivers side went first and then the passenger when you spun into the 4Runner?
Old 07-16-11, 04:01 PM
maximus001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, My best friend is an ER doc and he tells me horror stories of airbag deployment. Those bags should only deploy if there's a serious possibility that your going to hit the windshield or impale yourself on the steering column. Consider yourself lucky it didn't deploy. You might have broken thumbs or worse.
Old 07-16-11, 04:06 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

Wow! That's scarey. Glad to hear you were not hurt. Glad you were in a Lexus and not a Smart Car when it happened.
Old 07-16-11, 05:15 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, when our sc430 got rear ended with my wife in it, she didn't feel anything on her body until 3-4 days later. she felt soreness around her neck. went to chiropractor and xray, and saw one of the vertebrae got shifted. took a while and a lot of treatments to correct that. so yes, please don't take it lightly. better safe than sorry
You have me nervous now should I just go to an ER? Maybe contact my insurance company first to let them know, I'm going...so there'll be no issues with insurance coverage between car insurance and healthcare?

Originally Posted by jtrue28
if it's not totaled, it's damn near close. it's $10-$15K just to replace the airbags. And since they all came out (minus the steering wheel) they'll have to replace the interior leather as well. looks like a lot of panels are toast, so I can't imagine them not totaling it.

my 2008 was "worth" $42,000 when I had my wreck last November....totaled, so stranger things can happen.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-morning.html
OMG, you walked away from that, unscathed? That's insane it cost that much to replace air bags. I figure my care is worth around $48,000.00, it only had 8K miles and was in perfect condition before the incident. I see you went with the 3GS, I'm thinking if its totaled I may opt for another 3GS, but with the 4GS around the corner, I'm thinking of waiting. I can either get a better deal once the 4GS is available...or being the guinea big for a first gen car.

Originally Posted by twylie
Thanks for the background on the accident. Any guess as to how fast the Ranger was going when it hit you?

Given your description of the event, I wouldn't be too worried the airbags in the front didn't deploy. As mentioned, they rely on a variety of triggers to initiate deployment and the electronics obviously made the call to deploy both sides as needed. Do you recall if the sides deployed simultaneously or if the drivers side went first and then the passenger when you spun into the 4Runner?
I would say the Ranger was going around 30 mph or faster, I did not see it mentioned in the police report unfortunately. If I remember correctly because things happened so fast, I recall hearing several different "pops" when the air bags deployed. The ringing in my ear was quite distinct from the first one, but I just trying to remain composed and get control of my car. I think it would have been a lot worse if I panicked.

Originally Posted by maximus001
BTW, My best friend is an ER doc and he tells me horror stories of airbag deployment. Those bags should only deploy if there's a serious possibility that your going to hit the windshield or impale yourself on the steering column. Consider yourself lucky it didn't deploy. You might have broken thumbs or worse.
Ouch...guess I won't complain about the steering wheel airbag deploying. I've seen people with broken noses and black eyes...but I'd rather have that, than fractured skull from hitting my head on the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by Rykster
Wow! That's scarey. Glad to hear you were not hurt. Glad you were in a Lexus and not a Smart Car when it happened.
You and me both! It's amazing how much damage cars take and give during accidents. I have new found respect the crash test engineers and standards required for auto makers.
Old 07-16-11, 07:31 PM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Glad you made it through this in one piece... I hope whatever car you end up with brings you safe travels in the future.
Old 07-16-11, 07:36 PM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Interesting that they found it necessary to circle all of the areas that were damaged... I have had a body shop do that when I am having some dents removed, and that makes sense, but they seriously circled the entire side of the car!
Old 07-17-11, 03:30 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As everyone has stated, glad you walked away from it. Its defiantly not something that should happen to people but sadly it does. To me the car looks not totaled, if it was 2009 and later it would of been.
Old 07-17-11, 09:48 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by alwayzspeedin
Thank god your drink didnt spill it would been hard to clean it off the seats and center console....

P.s. Hope your ok too
Considering the center armrest broke, and I did a 180 spin....I'm surprised the can didn't go flying all over the place.

Originally Posted by Ashdaddy
Interesting that they found it necessary to circle all of the areas that were damaged... I have had a body shop do that when I am having some dents removed, and that makes sense, but they seriously circled the entire side of the car!
I saw that yesterday and I was like, just circle the whole freakin' car lol. I didn't get that at all.

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
As everyone has stated, glad you walked away from it. Its defiantly not something that should happen to people but sadly it does. To me the car looks not totaled, if it was 2009 and later it would of been.
Thanks for the well wishes. I've had work done at this collision center before and they are certified by Lexus and do a good job. I had an IS 250, and was rear ended, I had to get my back bumper replaced and the way the matched the paint perfectly.

If they have to to repair everything, I'm sure this place will do a great job and have a lifetime warranty on repairs. I still believe there's a lot of damage to car (there's damage front to back) and once they get to examine the frame, that will be the final deciding factor. The agent at the collision center said that he would encourage Geico to total the vehicle...but I'm not sure what Geico would gain from that.

My peace of mind is I decided to lease this vehicle, so I have GAP insurance, if it is totaled and Geico values the car below what Lexus quotes as a payoff amount.
Old 07-17-11, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

You have me nervous now should I just go to an ER? Maybe contact my insurance company first to let them know, I'm going...so there'll be no issues with insurance coverage between car insurance and healthcare?

OMG, you walked away from that, unscathed? That's insane it cost that much to replace air bags. I figure my care is worth around $48,000.00, it only had 8K miles and was in perfect condition before the incident. I see you went with the 3GS, I'm thinking if its totaled I may opt for another 3GS, but with the 4GS around the corner, I'm thinking of waiting. I can either get a better deal once the 4GS is available...or being the guinea big for a first gen car.

I would say the Ranger was going around 30 mph or faster, I did not see it mentioned in the police report unfortunately. If I remember correctly because things happened so fast, I recall hearing several different "pops" when the air bags deployed. The ringing in my ear was quite distinct from the first one, but I just trying to remain composed and get control of my car. I think it would have been a lot worse if I panicked.

Ouch...guess I won't complain about the steering wheel airbag deploying. I've seen people with broken noses and black eyes...but I'd rather have that, than fractured skull from hitting my head on the steering wheel.

You and me both! It's amazing how much damage cars take and give during accidents. I have new found respect the crash test engineers and standards required for auto makers.
sorry, not trying to scare you at all, but to me health is always first. you should inform your insurance and get the ok from them and then go to dr / physician / chiropractor, etc... i don't think you need to go to er, but what i am trying to say is get yourself checked out right the way. if the xray comes out negative and it's just muscle strained, it still won't hurt.
Old 07-17-11, 02:18 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ yup, what rominl said. you can always replace a car, but you can't replace your health.
Old 07-18-11, 08:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I was sitting still with my foot on the brake when the guy hit me from behind. He wasn't paying any attention at all and hit me going 50mph. Needless to say, I was in shock and never had time to "see it coming", so I was essentially "drunk"...muscles didn't tense up and because he hit me from behind my head hit the headrest. As you've noticed, this car is VERY safe and other than some pain in my legs from the leg airbag, I didn't feel any different at all.

I loved my 2008 and after seeing how well this thing can hold up, I wasn't about to change cars. I wouldn't have been able to wait this long for the 4G GS to come out, so I stuck with the 3GS and have been very happy. Even got the black interior I orginally wanted on the 2008. At least now, I can wait until they work the bugs out of the 4GS and get the 2015/2016 MY. Glad you're OK. Let us know how Geico rules on it being totaled or not.

Insurance companies usually set the limit at 80% of the value to determine whether they will total it or not. YMMV
Old 07-18-11, 08:19 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly why you should always wear your seatbelt.
Maybe this also has something to do with steering airbag deployment.
Old 07-18-11, 09:16 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Fight them if they try not to total it. You don't want that car back, I assure you.

Quick Reply: 11 GS 350 accident aftermath...