GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Gauging interest Racing Brake BBK
YES interested in the BBK Kit
45.00%
YES interested in the OEM size 2-P rotors
40.00%
NO not interested at this time
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

GI: RB BBK for 3GS and 2IS, stock wheel clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 06:24 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default GI: RB BBK for 3GS and 2IS, stock wheel clearance

Hi guys,
I have been working with RacingBrake the past 5 years or so on braking products for the Lexus market. The owner of the company used his 2010 GS350 to test the new calipers they are coming out with for other applications and never intended on a Lexus kit. I am trying to convince them to produce it and need a list fo interested people to make it happen. Its a affordable, very high performance kit. 2-peice rotor configuration as well. If you are not familiar with RacingBrake they are a brake OEM that has over 30 years of combined expereince in the braking industry. They actually manufacture all of there parts and have control over the entire process. Their two peice rotors are patented and are the only balanced centermount 2-peice rotor on the market.

Details:

Rotors
-Standard kit is Slotted or CD slot OEM size 2-piece rotors.
-Superior ductile iron alloy material is stable to very high temps and uniform -thermal expansion means no warping.
-Center mount alternate cast hat mounts allow more airflow and even loading and expansion.
-Nearly 10lbs lighter than stock per. 16lbs vs 25 of stock.
-332x32

Calipers
-6061 AL calipers with integrated seals.
-Low clearance to allow stock wheel fitments, more wheel fitment options
-Common replacement pads means low ongoing costs.
-Available in Red and Matte Satin Black

Kit retail is 1695 and if I can get enough people I can knock off 10%. The kit will take 6-8 weeks

2-peice OEM rotors by themselves would be offered for $450 shipping is extra but I would discount it from actual.

PLEASE HIT THE POLL IF INTERESTED

Kit advantages are here http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/bi...advantages.asp

pics

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 07-16-11, 06:56 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thing works on a 06 gs 300 awd?
Old 07-16-11, 07:10 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Currently RWD applications are the only ones confirmed. I will have to investigate the AWD caliper and spindle design.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 07-16-11, 09:25 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much this kit cost front and rear?
Old 07-16-11, 10:08 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Nothing for the rear. Suggested retail price above, I would do them for 10% off that.
Old 07-17-11, 03:20 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many piston is this caliper? Would it provide anymore brake power then the original 4 piston calipers that already come with the car? The OEM rotors would be nice, but only if they were also available for AWD (Awd version has a bigger hub). We are also very limited on AWD rotors.
Old 07-17-11, 08:06 PM
FIGS
The Maker

I will check the piston diameter.
Old 07-17-11, 11:31 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

You should make the 2 piece rotor asap, i
Need new rotors. Oem just dont cut it
Now days. Keep in mind i got an awd
Old 07-19-11, 12:27 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if it would be worth the cost to just change to another 4 piston.....If it were 6 piston and 355mm rotors, then that would be a different story
Old 07-19-11, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraristo
not sure if it would be worth the cost to just change to another 4 piston.....If it were 6 piston and 355mm rotors, then that would be a different story
it depends. it can be larger pistons, etc... number of pistons is just one aspect. but of course 6 would be better. what's the factory rotor size, already 332?
Old 07-19-11, 04:53 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the price is right, I might do at least the 2 piece rotors. I will need brakes soon and contemplating what I want to do.
Old 07-19-11, 10:09 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Guys, the big difference with the calipers is going to be weight.
5.67lbs per caliper is the weight loss. That is a total of nearly 12lbs of unsprung weight per axle when combined with the rotors. This is going to add quite a bit of steering and suspension response.
Other differences are:
-Pad retaining pins are thread for OB servicing vs IB servicing with the Factory cotter pins.
-The caliper pistons are actually smaller which means more force as a function of pedal throw. This means better pedal modulation. The pistons size is 38mm vs 42mm for stock which matches the chosen pad size used in the caliper.
-The pistons use an inner dust seal that is permanant, the OE uses and external boot that can tear or degrade with temperature.

The calipers may not make sense for everyone but there are advantages that have been proven to add performance. Number of pistons vs piston size does necessarily mean a caliper is higher performing, it usually means a more expensive pad and ongoing cost of ownership. The best thing a braking system can be is light and tolerant to temperature.. Both the ability to dissipate heat and the ability to continue working at higher temps if demanded to do so. I ran these 2-peice rotors on my IS300 and never had an instance of fade, even with a mild pad like the HPS. The stock configuration however I faded many times, especially with the mountain passes we have here.

Seems like most lexus owners dismiss weight as a factor in performance even though its the easiest to demostrate. Like how your car drives and handles with 1-2 additional people in it vs how it drives with you alone. Even though you have a heavy car with sound deadening and luxury items in it you can still see benefits for a little weight loss. Both car and driver
Old 07-19-11, 10:39 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested
Old 07-20-11, 01:27 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Well weight reduction is awesome, but for most if not all 3gs people it would be for looks first then performance. I drive fast so i need my system to be cooler. With rotors alone and a good set of street pads i should be fine. Also keep in mind is350 has same exact rotor and caliper so if you guys are gonna make this kit and rotors you also tackling is350s which in my opinion a younger crowd that will most likely spendmthe money on the whole system. Me personally i voted for the kit my accident i would take the rotors if they are high quality. You should also put this thread on is350 forum you will definatly have more people interested. But as i said earlier you should definatly make the rotors and offer competitive price for them. Maybe we can even have a group buy for this or something. Also don't leave us awd people hanging we need rotors also. If you give me a good price i can be the genuie pig and try them on my awd.
Old 07-20-11, 08:22 AM
FIGS
The Maker

yep, advertised in the 350 section as well.
Thanks for feedback as always.
Mike

Quick Reply: GI: RB BBK for 3GS and 2IS, stock wheel clearance