GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why do you need a warranty on your car? This for example

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 03:35 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you need a warranty on your car? This for example

I bought my 06 gs 300 awd with 38K miles on it back in 09, and I put miles on it like crazy. Before I even considered this car I was looking at Acura RL's. Infact I went to Dallas with $26K cash to buy the RL at a dealership but before I did I went to a hotel looked online and got on ebay and saw this red lexus so I had to go and check it out and I liked it alot more and it looked like brand new. So anyway I posted in the RL forums etc about the lexus etc and looked at carfax etc and nothing wrong with it. Anyway I bought the thing (people on RL forums told me why would a non lexus dealer have a lexus car since they buy them all when they go off lease anyway unless something wrong with it.) So anyway i didn't see anything wrong and then bought it and a day later someone pulled up the VIN on autocheck and it said Frame Damage reported at Auction and I was pissed and wanted to take it back if this was true. So long story short I didn't trust they car anymore and I went along and bought the extended warranty here in Shreveport (I found out on this forum a guy at the lexus dealership here gives the cheapest warranty's.) for around $1300 or so for the 100,000 7 year plan. So anyway I am at 95,400 miles and time to find out what is wrong. So far I just started hearing a rattle from the drivers passenger side where the wheel is when I go over bumps and also I heard rattling noises when I start the car passenger rear side under the car also my rear view mirror has a black line accross it for some reason. So I told her all this. It took 2 days to get back with me what is wrong. First of all both shocks in the back are blown. The rear view mirror will be replaced under warranty and also the rattling noises in the front was the engine Knocking which I didnt' see any issues with it. She says they will take the engine out replace all the cams etc (have to go tomorrow to get more details as their loaner car they gave me has an expired sticker on it from last month.) And she tells me if I didn't have the plan I would be out around $6,000. I was like so pissed before I heard this because I was beating myself over the head. I paid $1300 and I don't even get to use the damn warranty? and Now it comes in handy for sure. Also I could use your help if anyone reads it. Since I am getting 2 brand new shocks I am probably going to get lowering springs and have them put them on, (shouldn't charge me anything to do the rear ones since they are off anyway) But anyone have any idea how far the TTE lowering springs drop the car? they cost $455 but they are dropped down to $145 so big price difference and I love a great deal. I need to know about the springs so I can order them and get them 1 day service becase they come in tomorrow and they want to get the car back to me by the end of the week when they are done.
Old 07-19-11, 03:42 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Or I could sell the brand new rear shocks to someone? and get coilovers? but anyone actually buy OEM shocks?
Old 07-19-11, 04:50 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Hey glad that warranty is working out for you, it definitely paid for itself! Once you get your car lowered, post pics!
Old 07-19-11, 05:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

glad it worked out. though i am very surprised, if the car already has frame damage, how could they approve an extended warranty for your car
Old 07-19-11, 05:23 PM
krava
Lead Lap

they must have not looked it up to check on it and just sold me a warranty on the spot, and what is autocheck? it has frame damage if autocheck says so?
Old 07-19-11, 06:16 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"I paid $1300 and I don't even get to use the damn warranty?"

so your warranty expired before you found out all these problems?

In my experience warranties covers EVERYTHING except your butt. I got burn on so many warranties that I just give up. I paid top dollar for the best warranty until I found out all my problems amazingly falls through all the loop holes in the coverage.
Old 07-19-11, 06:20 PM
krava
Lead Lap

no I was thinking that before I brought the car in, I have 4K left on the warranty and I had no idea any of this was wrong. I was thinking damn I am bringing my car in and they won't find anything and I just am out $1300 and shouldn't ever have gotten the warranty
everything except fixing the cup holder (something slide behind it not letting it all the way up) is covered under the waranty
Old 07-19-11, 06:25 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ awesome, that's what warranty suppose to do.