GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

need suggestions on rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 05:07 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need suggestions on rims

so i was looking at this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...what-drop.html and it seems like everyone with a 3g gs has their wheels staggered, but what is the perfect set up?

And another thing, what exactly are coil overs and what do they do?

do they drop the car and give an option to raise it?

or do they just drop them..

i would love to hear what you guys have to say
Old 07-31-11, 05:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jayajello
so i was looking at this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...what-drop.html and it seems like everyone with a 3g gs has their wheels staggered, but what is the perfect set up?

And another thing, what exactly are coil overs and what do they do?

do they drop the car and give an option to raise it?

or do they just drop them..

i would love to hear what you guys have to say
it all depends on how you want your GS to look, so there's no perfect setup. for example, some of us here are going for the VIP look, so their wheels will have aggressive offsets and tires to match so that they can have the slammed look. others are perfectly fine with a more conservative look.

coilovers are lowering suspension parts that completely replace your stock shocks and springs. they can drop your car from mild to wild, depending on what you want. raising coilovers is possible, but you will need to adjust this manually. generally with coilovers, once you find the sweet spot that you like, you normally don't adjust the settings.
Old 07-31-11, 06:00 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

thank you, im looking for something simple, but still has a nice look to it, so staggered would be having like 19s in the front and 20s in the back? or they would be the same size..and with coilovers id prefer a 1in drop because in staten island anything lower then that would mean screwed up body kid
Old 07-31-11, 06:22 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest Vossen wheels and yes I am not biased Even so some great wheels all around.

Stormforge gave great advice, there is no perfect setup or otherwise everyone would do the same thing. Its up to what you desire, your budget, etc.

I think I can say from a 20" standpoint most would say go with 245/30/20 front and 275/30/20 rear (or a 25) and offsets depend on what look you are going for. My wheels are 20 x 9 front and 20 x 10.5 rear.

Good luck, tons of help here.
Old 07-31-11, 06:50 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

i would love vossen wheels but i cannot afford them lol, 245/30/20 and 275/30/20 are those the widths of the rim or tires..i am very new to this so i will be asking a ton of questions
Old 07-31-11, 07:02 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 275/30 is significantly larger than the 245/30 you should run a 285/25 with the 245/30 and to Op those are tire sizes, if you cant afford Vossens you should save your money these are actually a great wheel for the money and look much more expensive than they actually are
Old 07-31-11, 07:16 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

the vossen VVSCV3 how much do they cost and should i get summer tires because i wouldnt keep them on in the winter, the whole car mod thing is new to me
Old 08-01-11, 10:14 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

thank you, im looking for something simple, but still has a nice look to it, so staggered would be having like 19s in the front and 20s in the back? or they would be the same size..and with coilovers id prefer a 1in drop because in staten island anything lower then that would mean screwed up body kid
no, you are getting mixed up on wheel size. if you go with 19" wheels, both your front and rear wheels will be 19" in diameter. similarly, if you go with 20" wheels, both your front and rear wheels will be 20" in diameter. staggered means that your rear tires are wider than your front tires.

example: i'm on 20" staggered work wheels. so my wheel diameter for front and back is 20". but it's my tire size that are different. i'm running 245/30/20 size tires in the front, and 285/25/20 size tires in the rear.

the "245" and the "285" in the tire size is the "width", with the rear wheels being "wider" than the front.

and just to clarify, 245/30/20 and 285/25/20 are tire sizes (for 20" wheels) that you go with if you want to be in spec (ie: same overall rolling diameter to stock wheels). this means that with this setup, your speedometer and odometer will read as accurately as possible given your new wheel size. if you go with different tire sizes (ie: over spec tires), your speedo and odo will be off. you will read in the 3GS forum that some people have over spec tires because they don't want to run the chance of bending their new wheels with low profile tires. yes, their speedo/odo will be off, but they think the trade off is justified.

on the otherhand, over spec tires may give you rubbing issues. it is best to consult with a wheel/tire expert (like mike@vossen) to determine what is the best solution. so be aware of this fact before you get your tires, as you may decide that over spec tires is what you need if you live in an area with lots of potholes and such, and you want to make sure you get the correct over spec tires without having rubbing issues.

if you are not planning on going any lower than 1 inch drop, you might as well just go with springs (nanabe nf210 comes to mind). imho, no point getting coilovers if you don't plan on going lower. do a search for my pics, you can see how my GSh looks lowered with tanabe nf210. it should give you an idea how your GS will look with those springs on.

hope this explains your confusion.

edit: see this thread on why having the proper setup before you buy is important! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-rubbing.html

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-01-11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 06:25 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

hey thank you so much, i will take all of this into consideration, and with the nf210's even tho they are not for the awd gs 350, will there be a problem installing them?
Old 08-01-11, 08:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

hey thank you so much, i will take all of this into consideration, and with the nf210's even tho they are not for the awd gs 350, will there be a problem installing them?
springs are springs, they are all installed the same way.

to add to my comment above (which i forgot to mention) - when choosing your wheels, you need to consider both wheel offset and tire size to determine whether your wheel/tire package will fit or not. use this wheel calculator to help you understand how your choice of wheel and tire size impact your car:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Old 08-04-11, 12:22 AM
jayajello
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
I suggest Vossen wheels and yes I am not biased Even so some great wheels all around.

Stormforge gave great advice, there is no perfect setup or otherwise everyone would do the same thing. Its up to what you desire, your budget, etc.

I think I can say from a 20" standpoint most would say go with 245/30/20 front and 275/30/20 rear (or a 25) and offsets depend on what look you are going for. My wheels are 20 x 9 front and 20 x 10.5 rear.

Good luck, tons of help here.
hey mike how much are the rims you have on your car in matte black machined? and when it comes to rims, what are good tires to use?
Old 08-04-11, 09:09 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You would go same size wheel (19s or 20s) for front and rear, staggered has to do with the width of the wheel. Definitely recommend VOSSEN, quality wheel, look great, decent price. Here's my ride below running Vossen 20's, VVS-085 Staggered (front 9, rear 10.5) that ran me $3,200 w/ tires, balanced and mounted. Also, she's dropped using F-Sport springs (only about an inch).