GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extended warranty company declined cam gear fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 09:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Yes, I read some reports on the IS thread (where I normally go) that several owners had this issue returning which I'm a bit suprized. For me personally, the issue has not return and it has almost bene a year since it was done.

Oh, you can actually hold the starter button? I thought it would ignore you even if held down on the start after the car starts up. I never tried this myself.
Old 08-15-11, 09:34 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
^ there has been cases where people had it done and year down the line it would occur again. I had it done and haven't heard it since then ( knock on wood). Jayajello it almost sounds like you are holding the starter on while the car turns on. Its like metal against metal noise. Only happend to me on start ups especially if i was to drive the car for an hour or so park it, and come back in 30 mins i would hear it.
its not a pleasant sound, and it just recently has been happening so i am thinking about bringing it to lexus in bay ridge and have them take a look at it, the car is from 08 and its a certified pre used one so it should have a warranty on it right? and i ask this question a million times and get different answers, should i take my k&n intake off and put the oem back on? or leave it the way it is
Old 08-15-11, 10:06 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sango it almost souds like holding the starter, not that you can do it on a push start but like old cars where you start it with a key. Jayajello i suggest making a video of that noise/sound you are hearing. I took the intake off when i wen't in for service. Also just incase in future if the mass air flow sensors dies you dont want them blaming you for using an after market intake. You will be a pro at taking it off and putting it on. I have done that over 4 times .
Old 08-15-11, 11:09 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will try and get a vid or sound clip of it tomorrow..thanks
Old 08-16-11, 12:27 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

GS350Lexus,

Don't worry about the mods. From IS forums, according to Kurtz, service to void warranty for aftermarket because they acutally have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

If they try to use that on someone without actual proof, there is always the FTC and BBB willing hear about it.
Old 08-25-11, 08:19 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

How soon after acquiring your extended warranty did you make the claim?

Most aftermarket extended warranty policies have a "grace period" of something like 1000 miles or 30 days from date of purchase. This should be clearly stated in your terms and conditions. If you try to make a claim in that period, they will say you consider the problem as "pre-existing".

If you made the claim later after the grace period then you have a chance at fighting it. A point to bring up is if it was pre-existing, then why haven't you tried to get it fixed earlier. Shoe them previous service reports of the car where no mechanic mentions the noise as they most certainly would have if present. There job is to extract as much money as they can out of the customer. See where I am going?

Sounds like your extended warranty company is trying to call a common flaw or problem pre-existing. If the cam gear noise does not show up in a car until say 100,000 miles, how can that be pre-existing. That is more like latent. Some GS's never develop the noise, some develop it very early like around 20k miles.

Threaten small claims or legal action and see if they change their mind.

Did you pay for the entire warranty up front or are you on installment? If you are installment paying, cancel your policy, find another warranty company and wait out the grace period plus a few months. This cam gear noise is more prevalent on cold start ups. It is noisy and annoying but I have heard that there is no damage occuring if left unfixed. It usually happens of the first start up of the day and then doesn't happen again unless the car sits for hours. There is actually a thread on CL with a post that describes a simple way to start the car and not get the noise.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 08-25-11 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 10:29 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stevie, I had the car for 2 months and put more then 1,000 miles on it before I made the claim. I tried to cancel because the warranty is built into my payment. They won't actually refund the money directly, they apply it to the principal so I would have to pay for another warranty out of pocket and that would be stupid. I have argued with them and gone to the top but they keep insisting that the car is not "broke" and it's just a noise. They must have the info that you mention about the problem not getting any worse and it's just a noise. I am so aggravated and actually am considering giving the car back because I work at the place I bought it. They will take the car back, and put me in a lease,on a new,fully loaded Maxima, for the same payment I am at now.
Old 08-26-11, 12:46 AM
sticky4
Pole Position

The TSB problem should still be covered under the original drivetrain warranty which is good for 72 months or 70,000 miles. I just had mine fixed on my 07 AWD.... Unless your car has over 70k miles you're good.
Old 08-26-11, 05:52 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sticky4
The TSB problem should still be covered under the original drivetrain warranty which is good for 72 months or 70,000 miles. I just had mine fixed on my 07 AWD.... Unless your car has over 70k miles you're good.
Unfortunately, I'm over 70k.
Old 08-26-11, 10:20 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LenniePaz
Stevie, I had the car for 2 months and put more then 1,000 miles on it before I made the claim. I tried to cancel because the warranty is built into my payment. They won't actually refund the money directly, they apply it to the principal so I would have to pay for another warranty out of pocket and that would be stupid. I have argued with them and gone to the top but they keep insisting that the car is not "broke" and it's just a noise. They must have the info that you mention about the problem not getting any worse and it's just a noise. I am so aggravated and actually am considering giving the car back because I work at the place I bought it. They will take the car back, and put me in a lease,on a new,fully loaded Maxima, for the same payment I am at now.
Give it back, Come purchase my GS350 2007 AWD, with that being fixed and recalls up to date . But defiantly don't get a maxima dude. Every body and they're mothers have one.

P.S I have lexus platinum warranty until end of 2014
Old 08-31-11, 07:47 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Update in first post