GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extended warranty company declined cam gear fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 01:51 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **UPDATE**Extended warranty company declined cam gear fix

I bought an extended warranty through Nissan because I bought my 07 GS350 at a Nissan dealership where I work. I started hearing the cam gear noise during startup,so I took it to a Lexus dealer. They sent someone out to listen to the noise on Friday and they called the dealership today and declined to fix the car.I am so steaming mad right now that I can't even see straight! What is the point of an extended warranty if they won't approve something as obvious as my problem? I called the warranty company to complain and they told me they determined it to be a pre-existing problem judged on their notes. They also told me to take it up with the dealership that I bought the car from because, according to them, they should have made sure the car was in perfect mechanical condition.

UPDATE: When I picked up the car last Friday, I asked to talk to the Service Manager. When he came out, we both realized we knew each other from a previous job where we worked together. I told him the whole story and he said he would talk to the Lexus rep and get back to me after a few days. He called me back today and was able to get the job covered under the Lexus warranty even though I was past the 70k mark! I thanked him like 100 times and will be dropping the car off on the 19th to have the car repaired for free,courtesy of Lexus.

Last edited by LenniePaz; 08-31-11 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 01:57 PM
jayajello
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what exactly is the cam gear noise? because my car has been recently making a strange noise when i start it up
Old 08-15-11, 01:59 PM
krschee
Driver School Candidate

sorry to hear. the Lexus Platinum warranty is only about 2 grand for the 7yr/100k one.
Old 08-15-11, 02:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im lost, who provided the extended warranty? If it isn't lexus wareanty i can see this happening.
Old 08-15-11, 02:53 PM
montz450
Driver

so pretty much anything that goes wrong with your car they can say its a pre-existing condition...that sucks!!
Old 08-15-11, 02:54 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Im lost, who provided the extended warranty? If it isn't lexus wareanty i can see this happening.
Nissan has an extended warranty company for used cars of all types and models. That's who I purchased the warranty from. It shouldn't matter who the company was, it's a used car extended warranty. So according to your theory, If I bought a Sony product from Best Buy,and bought the Best Buy extended warranty instead of one from Sony, there would be a problem?

Last edited by LenniePaz; 08-15-11 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 03:59 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

What is the company called that provides third party extended warranty? Lets not compare electronics to cars. If you got some bad extended warranty company you can expect the decline. Well because they are bad, you should of atleast google the company's name and read some reviews about them before purchasing it. Is it fair that they denied the claim, No its not fair, now you are gonna have to call them and see where it states in fine print that pre-existing problems are not covered. Its gonna be a hassle. You should also ask them where they get they're determinations that it is pre existing condition.
Old 08-15-11, 04:11 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

What is the company called that provides third party extended warranty? Lets not compare electronics to cars. If you got some bad extended warranty company you can expect the decline. Well because they are bad, you should of atleast google the company's name and read some reviews about them before purchasing it. Is it fair that they denied the claim, No its not fair, now you are gonna have to call them and see where it states in fine print that pre-existing problems are not covered. Its gonna be a hassle. You should also ask them where they get they're determinations that it is pre existing condition.
Nissan is the company. The warranty company is called Nissan QualityGuard+Plus. I would think I can trust a name like Nissan.

http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...uard_plus.html
Old 08-15-11, 04:35 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

^ I also think you can trust a company like that, but I guess not really. Honestly they should work it out between each other, Nissan SOLD it to you and Nissan EXTENDED WARRANTY doesn't want to cover it. Its between them to figure out who is picking up the tab simple as that.
Old 08-15-11, 04:47 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

^ I also think you can trust a company like that, but I guess not really. Honestly they should work it out between each other, Nissan SOLD it to you and Nissan EXTENDED WARRANTY doesn't want to cover it. Its between them to figure out who is picking up the tab simple as that.
I would hope the Nissan dealer can call the warranty company and tell them "look,we sell a ton of extended warranties for you guys so we need you to help us out on this one".
Old 08-15-11, 05:22 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Exactly the reason you should have gotten a Lexus specific warranty, im sorry to hear this. The Lexus warranty would have taken care of it as long as they can reproduce the problem!
Old 08-15-11, 08:03 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

^ agreed but who knew that such an obvious problem would be declined.
Old 08-15-11, 08:46 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

Nope.com on third party warranties.
Old 08-15-11, 09:16 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jayajello
what exactly is the cam gear noise? because my car has been recently making a strange noise when i start it up
If it sounds like a rattle noise on start up that happens for a sec and goes away, that's most likely it. It would also happen on shut down of the car too at times.

The rattle would occur as the oil pressure is building up (engine start) or dropping (engine shut down) because the cam gear has some free play (a bit too much), such that it makes that rattle sound once a while. Does not affect anything but it could be a performance issue. The updated cam gears are built with tighter tolerances to address this issue.

It's a known issue on some of the IS that my 07 IS was repaired under TSB. When I had mine repaired, I did not need to have the problem duplicated because of the way I described it and the fact that I mention the TSB that Lexus OKed to go ahead and work on it.

Last edited by Sango; 08-15-11 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 09:22 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

^ there has been cases where people had it done and year down the line it would occur again. I had it done and haven't heard it since then ( knock on wood). Jayajello it almost sounds like you are holding the starter on while the car turns on. Its like metal against metal noise. Only happend to me on start ups especially if i was to drive the car for an hour or so park it, and come back in 30 mins i would hear it.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty company declined cam gear fix