GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is anyone using the fujita short ram intake??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 07:08 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Based on some research, it seems as though short ram intakes cause for warmer air to be taken in resulting in higher mpg but not necessarily higher power.

Oh a different but similar topic, when changing air filters, should I reset the CPU as well so it can relearn and get better MPG or will it make no difference?
Old 11-25-11, 01:18 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
I was thinking about getting the Joe z intake pipe for my 06 gs 300. It uses the oem filter box so it has its own area away from the engine. I'm just wondering if the flat black pipe would be better than the shiny aluminum pipe for less heat absorption. Also would a drop in filter have any affect on sound/hp after installing the pipe? Or would it be the same as oem?
I did my research and actually pm'ed Joe Z myself to get to the bottom of it, but his pipes will NOT FIT A 06 GS300 ):

I'm in the same dilemma, don't really know what to do.. thinking about buying a pipe for another car and cutting it down to size as long as it has the similar angle, I think it's 22* on our 06's

But for anyone who doesn't know, yes our 06's are very limited, we only have a choice between FUJITA SHORT RAM and DC SPORTS SHORT RAM. I have actually questioned about the dc sports on the forum, but received no hits so don't really know about that.

And as far as SRT's go, I'm not sure if it's possible on our 3GS. It might have been possible to buy a 2gs430 (3UZ-FE) and drop it into a 3gs430 (3UZ-FE), but I don't think it's possible to buy a srt for a 2gs300 (2JZ-GE) and drop it into a 3gs300 (3GR-FSE) because obviously they're 2 completely different motors. Oh and plus I have yet to hear or see anyone who has actually been able to use a srt on their 3gs300....

So after quite some research I settled with a k&n drop in and I'm happy with it... Until I'm hoping AEM would come out with a cold air for our 06 300's..
MAYBE if we get enough ppl to request a cold air for our model, then they can make it happen! Lol
Old 11-25-11, 03:29 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still have a Fujita in the box unopened if your interested pm me!
Old 11-25-11, 06:21 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gojeezy123
I did my research and actually pm'ed Joe Z myself to get to the bottom of it, but his pipes will NOT FIT A 06 GS300 ):

I'm in the same dilemma, don't really know what to do.. thinking about buying a pipe for another car and cutting it down to size as long as it has the similar angle, I think it's 22* on our 06's

But for anyone who doesn't know, yes our 06's are very limited, we only have a choice between FUJITA SHORT RAM and DC SPORTS SHORT RAM. I have actually questioned about the dc sports on the forum, but received no hits so don't really know about that.

And as far as SRT's go, I'm not sure if it's possible on our 3GS. It might have been possible to buy a 2gs430 (3UZ-FE) and drop it into a 3gs430 (3UZ-FE), but I don't think it's possible to buy a srt for a 2gs300 (2JZ-GE) and drop it into a 3gs300 (3GR-FSE) because obviously they're 2 completely different motors. Oh and plus I have yet to hear or see anyone who has actually been able to use a srt on their 3gs300....

So after quite some research I settled with a k&n drop in and I'm happy with it... Until I'm hoping AEM would come out with a cold air for our 06 300's..
MAYBE if we get enough ppl to request a cold air for our model, then they can make it happen! Lol
How big is the difference in sound (and power) with the k&n drop in filter. Im more concerned with sound, obviously most likely no difference in power.
Old 11-25-11, 08:57 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

How big is the difference in sound (and power) with the k&n drop in filter. Im more concerned with sound, obviously most likely no difference in power.
If your more concerned with sound, I wouldn't do the k&n drop in. There is a difference, but barely there. I'd say someone who doesn't know what to look for in the sound (not you specifically, but anyone in general) wouldn't be able to tell the difference /=

As for power, it's just a drop in filter so no power gaines obviously.

But I will say that my average mpg did go up to around 21-23 city originally from 19-21. And smashing 75-80mph on the freeway I'm getting around 29-31mpg (:
Old 11-25-11, 09:04 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

And also I forgot to mention, I did read somewhere on this forum a member saying the fujitas do throw the cel, but fujita did correct this by redoing something on the intake system, don't know how exactly but anyways in conclusion there are old fujitas and new fujitas for our 3gs300's.... Maybe 2 different part numbers? Not sure
Old 11-25-11, 09:09 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

If your more concerned with sound, I wouldn't do the k&n drop in. There is a difference, but barely there. I'd say someone who doesn't know what to look for in the sound (not you specifically, but anyone in general) wouldn't be able to tell the difference /=

As for power, it's just a drop in filter so no power gaines obviously.

But I will say that my average mpg did go up to around 21-23 city originally from 19-21. And smashing 75-80mph on the freeway I'm getting around 29-31mpg (:
lol i always get 29-32mpg on the highway since i speed really fast to ~80 then cruise from there barely touching the gas. But hey if it worked for u, thats def good
Old 11-26-11, 02:05 AM
gojeezy123
Driver

lol i always get 29-32mpg on the highway since i speed really fast to ~80 then cruise from there barely touching the gas. But hey if it worked for u, thats def good
Yah that's exactly how I do as well lol.. But that's good to hear your getting that kinda mileage already.. I'm just glad it helped mine a bit, I know all these gs's are getting different mileages even if they have the same motors, we all have different drive styles...

But hey keep us posted on what you decide to do with your intake!! It's hard for us 300's lol

And sorry OP lkapimp, we kinda took over your thread lol but I hope it was all useful!
Old 01-17-12, 10:58 AM
Shakimy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gridlock13
i thought short ram intakes are bad since the filter basically sits in the engine bay and draws in the warm air?
a i always wondered that, the hood completely seal the air.... but many ppl say just leave the piece that is attached to the filter box..u should be good... so i dont know :S
Old 01-17-12, 10:59 AM
Shakimy
Driver School Candidate

Count me in!