GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Key Fob locked in the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 06:04 PM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob locked in the car

I searched the threads and didn't see this answer so maybe someone can help me. I have an 06 GS300. I came out of the grocery store hit the unlock button twice, and pushed the button to open the trunk. I opened the passenger door and put my purse and fob on the seat. I shut the door, put my 3 little bags in the trunk and all doors locked with my fob inside on the front seat. I replaced the battery in the fob about 4 months ago. I could see the red alarm light blinking and when I pushed the little pad on the door handle, I heard a long steady beep noise as if it was telling me that my key was inside.
Why did this happen?? I have done the exact same thing a hundred times and I dont want this to happen again.
** Keep in mind that my purse, key and cell was locked in the car, so I went inside the store to use a phone at customer service to call Lexus roadside, who told me that I was over 50k miles and they would not send someone to help me. They transferred me to a AAA type service that would not send anyone until gave them a credit card number. Well duhh- my card is locked in the car.
My car insurance company sent someone for free, but how could I get locked out with the fob inside??
Old 09-14-11, 06:39 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

hm.. like you mentioned, it's not supposed to happen when your key fob is still inside.. have you tried again and see if the problem persist?
Old 09-14-11, 07:27 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only scenario I can think of is something inside your purse press Lock on the key fob. Like it had been pressing on the button but didn't have enough pressure until some extra vibration give it enough pressure to depress the button.
Old 09-14-11, 09:27 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Thats intresting, I thought the same thing, it is suppose to keep unlocked until you grab the key, I think i'm gonna try this and see what happens but i'll keep the keep so I can manually open the door.
Old 09-15-11, 03:45 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Several times I have left the key inside but the car wouldnt lock. However, when the battery is weak, all bets are off.
Old 09-15-11, 07:38 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

On another note, I could swear I read somewhere that Lexus Roadside was 5 years regardless of mileage...
Old 09-15-11, 07:42 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Several times I have left the key inside but the car wouldnt lock. However, when the battery is weak, all bets are off.
OP said the battery was only four months old. At least in their fob for four months. Who knows how old the battery really is. Plus, if you keep your fob in your pocket or purse, it is subject to constantly being activated/pressed. I used to work with a lady who was constantly setting off her car alarm as she sat at her desk in her office. Obviously she parked a few feet from right outside of her office window. She had no clue as to how it was happening. She took it in for service, changed the car battery, among other things. Someone finally told her to try leaving the fob out of her purse. And what do you know, the false alarms stopped.
Old 09-15-11, 07:51 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

I know you cannot lock the keys inside with the car running, but the car was off, seems completely plausible to me to lock them inside.

However, from personal experience when I locked mine in the trunk, pressing the button on the trunk allowed me to open the car and get my keys out. These scenarios make ZERO sense.
Old 09-15-11, 08:38 AM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. I am really at a loss. I have left my fob in the cup holder overnight in my garage and never been locked out before. I thought I was being "punked" or something!!... I kept feeling my pockets and thinking that there is no way that this car has locked me out with my key inside. They changed the battery at the dealership in April when I saw the indicator stating it needed to be replaced. It is an 06 and the guy on the phone last night said the roadside expired in May of 2010 that's when he connected me with an outside towing company. (which I didn't use because I couldn't pay them without my credit card!!) I have not tried to duplicate the problem but I think knowing why that happened is necessary to all of us. I was about 30 feet from the car when I hit that button twice so all 4 doors unlocked and then pushed the trunk button. The minute I shut that passenger door, all 4 doors locked again. Just out of curiosity, while I had the trunk open after the doors locked, is there anything in the trunk that I could have pushed to unlock a door??
Old 09-22-11, 03:09 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its wierd cause the car would sense the key fob and let you just open the door when you put ur hand on the handle unless like said before battery in fob was weak
Old 09-22-11, 06:11 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

I just tried this with my 07 AWD, but for the life of me I cannot get my car to lock with the key inside. I tried it with the key out and key inside my wife's purse. I even left the key in there for half an hour to see it would auto lock, but it didn't.
Old 09-22-11, 09:10 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's simple, your items in our purse or pushing the buttons, you'd be surprised. Try to atleast keep it in your purse but in the zip pouch portion and not just thrown in there in the pile. Trust me, my wife has the same issue and her car alarm turns on as we walk into the house sometimes. It's the purse
Old 09-23-11, 08:31 PM
zenetti06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
It's simple, your items in our purse or pushing the buttons, you'd be surprised. Try to atleast keep it in your purse but in the zip pouch portion and not just thrown in there in the pile. Trust me, my wife has the same issue and her car alarm turns on as we walk into the house sometimes. It's the purse
i have a07gs 350 unless your battery dead on the fob you cant lock your keys in it. Unless yor cell phone was right next to it.Cellphone interfere with the frequency.