GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What a Lexus Dealership Offered Me for the GS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 09:31 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I did not mean to imply that I could get 31k, but,I know around here Lexus dealers would list it for that.
As with any business. They are out to sell a product and make money on the price paid vs sold. If you get more on trade-in, its because the car your buying they bought for less and have room to give you more.

Passnu2 absolutely knows what he's talking about. My GSh came from him. My trade (GS300 Sport Design) was worth far less than I thought too. Blackbook, That and what the auctions are selling cars for is what dealers base their pricing off of. KBB is a joke.

Unfortunately, cars are not a good investment.
Old 09-18-11, 09:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
As with any business. They are out to sell a product and make money on the price paid vs sold. If you get more on trade-in, its because the car your buying they bought for less and have room to give you more.

Passnu2 absolutely knows what he's talking about. My GSh came from him. My trade (GS300 Sport Design) was worth far less than I thought too. Blackbook, That and what the auctions are selling cars for is what dealers base their pricing off of. KBB is a joke.

Unfortunately, cars are not a good investment.
lol car and investment can't be put together at all imho, unless you are millionaires and into collector's cars
Old 09-28-11, 10:28 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.Car is sold and we are heading off to Maryland on Monday to drop it off. We are going to miss it a great deal but it was a waste because we just do not drive it much anymore.We put 4k on it over the last 2 years.Its only seen snow once in its lifetime,and we do not drive it in the rain if we can help it.It all waxed up sitting in the garage ready to meet its new owners. Buyers are getting a great car that was really taken care off,I will miss her.
Old 09-29-11, 07:51 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take her for one last spin.

Is a way to check who's the owner of the car if you have the VIN number? I want to know who is the new owner of my Camry. Like adoption, I want to know who is adopting my baby.
Old 09-29-11, 10:17 AM
andiea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I am new to the forums, so I apologize if this is the wrong thread in which to ask these questions. It seems to be the thread closer in topic than any other I have been able to find on the site.

Specifically, I would like some help in pricing my late husband's '06 GS 300. He died in January and I just can’t delay "disposing" of it any longer. Aside from the fact that he just loved his car, there are a lot of memories attached to it- so the sale process is emotional for me,.. and I don't want that to stand in the way of making sensible decisions.

He maintained the car meticulously. It was in to the dealership for all the Lexus recommended services. I have that paperwork and receipts. He saved the original sticker, all kinds of things that are still wrapped in plastic wrap, and even the little informational tags that were hanging in the car at delivery (maybe that is a guy thing, and I should not surprised?). He also purchased the 4-year Platinum Warranty in April of last year.

I had a thorough inspection last week at the dealership. They said everything looked great with the exception of the front brakes that were at "yellow" status, and 2 of the tires that have about 5K (I think??) left on them.

One of our dear friends immediately asked what I wanted for the car. He knows I am into it for about $15K. I said (and he agreed) that price would be a fair deal for both of us. I know only *I* can decide how much of a deal it should be for him, but I don't know where to start.

I have also thought that if I can get considerably more selling it on the “free market” (??) . (say $3K+ ) doing it that way, maybe I will do that. I don't want to fire sale it but don't want to take more than 3-4 weeks to sell it. I see the post above about the time being now to sell this model/year. The KBB etc values don’t seem THAT far off, but from what I have read here, they can’t even be used as a guideline.

There are a few cars like his for sale here in Phoenix, but it seems they are priced either way high or way low. I realize it has a lot to do with miles/condition/color etc. I suppose one tactic could be to price it ”middle” but that seems like a dumb way to decide on a price. Especially since it has the Platinum warranty, and I don’t see any that refer to that (all I see is CPO from dealerships - don’t know how the value of that compares to having the warranty)

I have scoured the forums, and the references I can find related to the resale value of the warranty are pretty vague. I was able to find 2 relatively detailed posts in an IS forum about the buy/don't buy the warranty decision; one said that you can expect "about $1000 at resale" (although it didn't say which warranty and which car model) and the other said "you can pretty much get the cost of the warranty back at resale"

Based on what I have read in the forums on warranty pricing, it looks like he overpaid: $3K, and I would guess that I could not get that much more. Should I use the $1000 as a guideline for the increase in the pricie? Does it make any difference that it is a GS rather than an IS? What about my location?

If you are still reading, thanks! It's a long post, my hope is that this background info would help with any recommendations anyone is able to provide. This is the kind of thing that he handled completely, so I am a bit lost.

Thanks so much .

Info:
Mileage 63K, some minor paint chips that he touched up with the little paint sample, some minor scratches (hood, one of the side doors), the interior is in great condition except for a place on the back of the driver seat that looks like something was shoved into it. Not a hole per se, but the leather is marred. The driver floor mat is marked up. The color is Mercury Metallic, “description” on the sticker says 2006/9300C GS300 4-DR SEDAN. It is RWD

These are items listed AFTER the MSRP on the sticker. I assume everything above the MSRP is standard equipment and those items below are options. Here are those items.

ML Audio/Nav System (compass , rear camera, ML audio with EMV,), rear spoiler, rain sensing WW, moonroof, rear sunshade, ventilated seats, park assist, preferred accessory package (trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks) . I also remember telling me that it had some special window glass that blocked infrared or sunlight or something, so it didn’t need tint.
Old 09-29-11, 01:14 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

You may need to check the fine print on that warranty, but I don't think it transfers to the "new" owner.
Old 09-29-11, 02:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andiea
Hi all,
I am new to the forums, so I apologize if this is the wrong thread in which to ask these questions. It seems to be the thread closer in topic than any other I have been able to find on the site.

Specifically, I would like some help in pricing my late husband's '06 GS 300. He died in January and I just can’t delay "disposing" of it any longer. Aside from the fact that he just loved his car, there are a lot of memories attached to it- so the sale process is emotional for me,.. and I don't want that to stand in the way of making sensible decisions.

He maintained the car meticulously. It was in to the dealership for all the Lexus recommended services. I have that paperwork and receipts. He saved the original sticker, all kinds of things that are still wrapped in plastic wrap, and even the little informational tags that were hanging in the car at delivery (maybe that is a guy thing, and I should not surprised?). He also purchased the 4-year Platinum Warranty in April of last year.

I had a thorough inspection last week at the dealership. They said everything looked great with the exception of the front brakes that were at "yellow" status, and 2 of the tires that have about 5K (I think??) left on them.

One of our dear friends immediately asked what I wanted for the car. He knows I am into it for about $15K. I said (and he agreed) that price would be a fair deal for both of us. I know only *I* can decide how much of a deal it should be for him, but I don't know where to start.

I have also thought that if I can get considerably more selling it on the “free market” (??) . (say $3K+ ) doing it that way, maybe I will do that. I don't want to fire sale it but don't want to take more than 3-4 weeks to sell it. I see the post above about the time being now to sell this model/year. The KBB etc values don’t seem THAT far off, but from what I have read here, they can’t even be used as a guideline.

There are a few cars like his for sale here in Phoenix, but it seems they are priced either way high or way low. I realize it has a lot to do with miles/condition/color etc. I suppose one tactic could be to price it ”middle” but that seems like a dumb way to decide on a price. Especially since it has the Platinum warranty, and I don’t see any that refer to that (all I see is CPO from dealerships - don’t know how the value of that compares to having the warranty)

I have scoured the forums, and the references I can find related to the resale value of the warranty are pretty vague. I was able to find 2 relatively detailed posts in an IS forum about the buy/don't buy the warranty decision; one said that you can expect "about $1000 at resale" (although it didn't say which warranty and which car model) and the other said "you can pretty much get the cost of the warranty back at resale"

Based on what I have read in the forums on warranty pricing, it looks like he overpaid: $3K, and I would guess that I could not get that much more. Should I use the $1000 as a guideline for the increase in the pricie? Does it make any difference that it is a GS rather than an IS? What about my location?

If you are still reading, thanks! It's a long post, my hope is that this background info would help with any recommendations anyone is able to provide. This is the kind of thing that he handled completely, so I am a bit lost.

Thanks so much .

Info:
Mileage 63K, some minor paint chips that he touched up with the little paint sample, some minor scratches (hood, one of the side doors), the interior is in great condition except for a place on the back of the driver seat that looks like something was shoved into it. Not a hole per se, but the leather is marred. The driver floor mat is marked up. The color is Mercury Metallic, “description” on the sticker says 2006/9300C GS300 4-DR SEDAN. It is RWD

These are items listed AFTER the MSRP on the sticker. I assume everything above the MSRP is standard equipment and those items below are options. Here are those items.

ML Audio/Nav System (compass , rear camera, ML audio with EMV,), rear spoiler, rain sensing WW, moonroof, rear sunshade, ventilated seats, park assist, preferred accessory package (trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks) . I also remember telling me that it had some special window glass that blocked infrared or sunlight or something, so it didn’t need tint.

Sorry to ready about your loss. I would be more then happy to help you out.

If you were to allow a car dealer to purchase you should see 18k in your area and also a check back for the warranty or remaning portion that is.

If your going to sell it yourself I would ask 20k. Your priced agressive and it should sell quickly. Who ever is offering you 15k is not trying to help you in anyway. They know what the car is worth.

If you have more questions or anything I can help with please PM me and I will help out.
Old 09-29-11, 02:42 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Sorry to ready about your loss. I would be more then happy to help you out.

If you were to allow a car dealer to purchase you should see 18k in your area and also a check back for the warranty or remaning portion that is.
If your going to sell it yourself I would ask 20k. Your priced agressive and it should sell quickly. Who ever is offering you 15k is not trying to help you in anyway. They know what the car is worth.

If you have more questions or anything I can help with please PM me and I will help out.
Just to chime in here,I kind of doubt a dealer would give you 18k. The only reason I say that is because our car had almost half your mileage and not nearly the flaws you described in reference to paint,leather seats,and the driver matts being marked up. The dealer top line was 18k.Maybe in your area you will get more,I do not know.

As passnu2 says,you should get monry back on the unused warranty.We are getting $200 back.I hope you sell it. Oh and your friend giving you 15k is a steal ...for him. :-)

Much luck to you.
Old 09-29-11, 09:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Just to chime in here,I kind of doubt a dealer would give you 18k. The only reason I say that is because our car had almost half your mileage and not nearly the flaws you described in reference to paint,leather seats,and the driver matts being marked up. The dealer top line was 18k.Maybe in your area you will get more,I do not know.

Much luck to you.
its a different region. car is doing better and I already took into consideration the miles & wear and tear.
Old 10-01-11, 07:36 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
its a different region. car is doing better and I already took into consideration the miles & wear and tear.
Cars from AZ, NM, TX do better than cars from NY NJ. General mass user driving habits are taken into consideration.

Why are there more body shops in 30sq mi in the tri-state area than there are in the entire state of AZ. Also reason why the insurance is much higher there.

My cousin was going to trade his high mile G35 coupe in on a IS350. The dealership only offered him $5000 for the car. He got over $9000 at car max. The dealer obviously low balled the hell out of him.
Old 12-22-11, 11:37 AM
jim1949
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 gs 300 high miles valued at

just sold my orig owner 2002 GS 300 for $5,000 with 236,001 miles on it. very clean car, new tires , but as with all old cars a few little issues.
Old 12-23-11, 07:08 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People have to remember dealers dont pay what we pay for the cars, think about it you sell a product for a certain price are you gonna buy that product back for the price you pay for it?, car dealers buy cars at auctions from banks for way less than theyre gonna sell it for. Its just part of the business. Why do you think when you are shopping for a car you get it for less then it was advertised for, they have room to make a profit. Also supply and demand if its a popular car they get more for them if not they just try to sell em off as quick as thry can
Old 12-31-16, 08:26 AM
DEONDRE
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my GS430 for 18k only had 64,000 miles on it and was in great condition. Only two users before me.
Old 01-01-17, 10:45 AM
bullhog
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
Odd... I sold them my Camry and they were giving me the highest price on KBB. Nobody else came close to offer that.
KBB, is always waaaay high...They have been that way consistently for decades...