GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need Tires Recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 03:44 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

definitley ditch the runflats. When I was looking for my GS, I was stunned at how different (for the better) the car was on traditional tires. I've only had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on mine (second set), but have been very happy with their grip wet and dry as well as lack of noise, ease of balance, and treadwear. I even had mine in a heavy snowstorm and they did much better than I expected them to.
Old 10-24-11, 04:17 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
How are they with handling are the good or not even close, I mean not saying I'm gonna go speeding but Im hearing the Conti as being pretty good. Another thing does everyone think its better to ditch the RFT's or still get those. Thanks All
I think they handle fantastically. They grip really well and are fairly quiet.
Old 10-24-11, 05:39 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

How are they with handling are the good or not even close, I mean not saying I'm gonna go speeding but Im hearing the Conti as being pretty good. Another thing does everyone think its better to ditch the RFT's or still get those. Thanks All
I would say between the Conti and the PS A/S Plus. But if you don't mind shorter tread life, go with PS2 or PSS.

If I remember right, your 450h does has a spare space so I would definitely ditch RFT's. I just replaced my 80% new Perelli RF with a set of PS2 ZP since I have no spare space. After about 1500 miles, my PS2 ZP is holding up ok in terms of noise. Wonderful handling though.
Old 10-24-11, 08:15 PM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Continentals feel sloppy when cornering. The sidewalls feel like they lack structure. If I were you, I would go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Positions. They are a newly released upgrade to the RE960 (WHICH I LOVED) and they are supposed to be even better in wet traction. From a performance standpoint, they feel much more like a sport tire than the Continentals or even the Pilot Sports. They only thing is, the RE970's are about $50 more a tire than the Conti.
Old 10-24-11, 08:24 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I thought about these, but it said the handling was not good and very sluggish, how are ur feelings after driving with them.
They are fine. They are not track tire. Your not racing your car either. They have a huge treadlife which cuts down on grip. Trade off.

I have been to tire rack and there reviews don't really help as on tire they recommend seems to contradict the tire they recommend.
Tirerack reviews and sales blows...opppss did I say that. I got hosed on a set by them. Never again.

Originally Posted by Ashdaddy
The Continentals feel sloppy when cornering. The sidewalls feel like they lack structure. If I were you, I would go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Positions. They are a newly released upgrade to the RE960 (WHICH I LOVED) and they are supposed to be even better in wet traction. From a performance standpoint, they feel much more like a sport tire than the Continentals or even the Pilot Sports. They only thing is, the RE970's are about $50 more a tire than the Conti.
These are good too, again... are you going to be assaulting your corners to justify $200 more per tire. Ashdaddy, you have a AWD GS350... not quite the same handling or even suspension geometry as our GS450h's

Passnu2 had the same Conti's on his 06 GS430, in fact he turned me on to them... Even better. We both bought ours at $5 above cost at Discount. And because they price match, I just have to give you my name and Store location and Mikes name and Store location. The sales guy can look it up and see. I think I payed a little over $600 installed with the extended warranty. This was also last year, im sure the prices have dropped since also... But cant hurt to check.
Old 10-24-11, 10:13 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with p/s a/s plus, no regrets!
Old 10-25-11, 04:34 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
They are fine. They are not track tire. Your not racing your car either. They have a huge treadlife which cuts down on grip. Trade off.

Passnu2 had the same Conti's on his 06 GS430, in fact he turned me on to them... Even better. We both bought ours at $5 above cost at Discount. And because they price match, I just have to give you my name and Store location and Mikes name and Store location. The sales guy can look it up and see. I think I payed a little over $600 installed with the extended warranty. This was also last year, im sure the prices have dropped since also... But cant hurt to check.
I think I'm gonna go with the conti Extreme contact DWS, as we get snow and we have had a lot of rain here and these tires seem to benefit better, I will mostly be using highway and I'm guessing these are the closest to comfort. Thanks all for your help.
Old 10-26-11, 06:44 AM
bigblack06

Now I'm thinking about the Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S any insights on this.
Old 10-26-11, 07:59 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm thinking about the Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S any insights on this.
Ran these on an SC430 to in place of the runflats. They were great. Good grip and treadwear. They seem to rate high in all categories with Consumer Reports.
Old 10-28-11, 01:38 PM
bigblack06

So I recieved the pzero Nero a/s and so far so good they are pretty nice tires will let you all know what the verdict is on them.
Old 10-28-11, 06:01 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

I have a GS300 2006. I am thinking of installing the Cooper CS4. My daily commute to work is around trip is about 20 miles in city driving and 40 miles hwy every day. Florida is a pretty flat state so no windy twistys for me. Conditions are really dry or really wet conditions and usually hot and humid. My driving style is relaxed to 80-85 on the interstate but not to much bobbing and weaving.
The CS4 got good reviews nd I like my luxury car to feel like a luxury car.
Old 10-28-11, 07:54 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
I have a GS300 2006. I am thinking of installing the Cooper CS4. My daily commute to work is around trip is about 20 miles in city driving and 40 miles hwy every day. Florida is a pretty flat state so no windy twistys for me. Conditions are really dry or really wet conditions and usually hot and humid. My driving style is relaxed to 80-85 on the interstate but not to much bobbing and weaving.
The CS4 got good reviews nd I like my luxury car to feel like a luxury car.
The continental extreme contact DW sounds better for you and the price on tirerack is only $161ea which isn't bad.
Old 10-31-11, 04:34 PM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. Had these on my Infiniti G 35. Just bought a new set for my 2008 GS 350 replacing the original Yokomaha. GREAT tire!
Old 10-31-11, 07:20 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Getting the Cooper Tire CS4 tires out the door for under 800 with the rebate and that includes lifetime rotation and nitrogen. Had my Lexus advisor look up the cooper cs4 and he Sid they were perfect or the car and great tires.

COOPER it is!

Last edited by ingoodtime; 11-02-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 07:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would get the Conti DWS for the GS...Micheline PS2 are my favorite tire but not necessary for the GS IMO. DWS gets my vote here if you want it from a member that actually tested them out rather then someone that just wants to sell a tire

Matt & I are probably banned from Discount after this

Quick Reply: Need Tires Recommendations.