GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire Low pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 06:07 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Low pressure warning light

I just had new tires installed on my GS 300 (2006). Now the low tire pressure warning light wont' go off. The shop tried the reset as did I today. Held the button, watched the light flash and the pressure initializing message flashed. But, the warning never clears. Any idea? And, this was done at a tire shop. Should they be responsible to repair this? They said to come back and they will see if the tpms senors are displaying I'd #,s.

Anyone......?

Last edited by ingoodtime; 11-11-11 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-12-11, 02:11 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

If your TPMS light wasn't on when you took the car in and it was on after they replaced tires, they probably damaged one or more sensors when they were dismounting the old tires. If your light was on before they started working on the car, you can't really blame the shop.
Old 11-12-11, 08:14 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

The light was not on when i brought the car in. I guess they
Will fix at their expense.the bummer is they are not open
on weekends , mon-fri 8-530 and i work those hours. So, i may
have to deal with the idiot light until i am off a couple Friday's from
now.
Old 11-12-11, 12:22 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
The light was not on when i brought the car in. I guess they
Will fix at their expense.the bummer is they are not open
on weekends , mon-fri 8-530 and i work those hours. So, i may
have to deal with the idiot light until i am off a couple Friday's from
now.
I wouldn't wait that long. If they are admitting that it's their fault, maybe. Otherwise I'd be over there Monday morning at 7:45 AM.
Old 11-12-11, 12:39 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can smell a "oh, it's a bad sensor" story coming out of this! Hopefully the place you are dealing will is on the up and up! Good luck!
Old 11-12-11, 01:06 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

If the yellow icon is flashing then its a bad sensor, if its just on constant then its the air pressure of the tires. All you did was just change tires right?
Old 11-12-11, 05:06 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

The pressure light is lit steady. I think the shop Will be honorable .he said he needs to check each wheel to see if one is not broadcasting the id #s.
Old 11-12-11, 05:08 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

After further review . . why would you need to reset the TPMS if all you did was change the tires? If the sensors went back onto the wheels just as they came off, you shouldn't have a problem and a reset is not necessary. I just changed wheels with no issues. Tires and sensors went back onto new wheels and have had no problems since.

Here is a possible issue . . . . . . Does the TPMS system get out of whack if you move the sensors around? Meaning if the Left Front sensor is now on the Right Front, will that hose things up?
Old 11-12-11, 07:05 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by moose66
After further review . . why would you need to reset the TPMS if all you did was change the tires? If the sensors went back onto the wheels just as they came off, you shouldn't have a problem and a reset is not necessary. I just changed wheels with no issues. Tires and sensors went back onto new wheels and have had no problems since.

Here is a possible issue . . . . . . Does the TPMS system get out of whack if you move the sensors around? Meaning if the Left Front sensor is now on the Right Front, will that hose things up?
Good question. I will call my Lexus service advisor tomorrow. He is a good guy, very knowledgeable . I'll post his answer to my problem.
Old 11-12-11, 09:46 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by moose66
Does the TPMS system get out of whack if you move the sensors around? Meaning if the Left Front sensor is now on the Right Front, will that hose things up?
No, it does not affect the sensors. If it did, I would have to re-set the TPMS every time I rotate tires.
Old 11-13-11, 07:52 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arnieosp
No, it does not affect the sensors. If it did, I would have to re-set the TPMS every time I rotate tires.
So, if they don't replace the air valves anymore, how do they screw up the tpms just by removing and replacing tires? I could see if thy dropped a I'm and the sensor took a jolt.
Old 11-13-11, 09:53 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Okay, I learned something new today. Never rotated the tires on my own. Didn't know if the sensors were tired to a specific wheel in the onboard computer. In that case, it sounds like something is either broken or malfunctioning. Either way, if it was working when you took it in, it should still be working! Go get 'em!
Old 11-13-11, 02:54 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
So, if they don't replace the air valves anymore, how do they screw up the tpms just by removing and replacing tires? I could see if thy dropped a I'm and the sensor took a jolt.
The sensor sits inside the rim, pretty close to the edge. Every now and then when they dismount or remount the tire, they shove that rod too far in (between the rim and the tire), then when the machine turns the wheel, the rod rips into the sensor.
Old 11-13-11, 03:40 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the "Main Set / B Set" switch didn't get accidentally hit. This switch is under the dashboard directly below the glove compartment latch. Got to get on your knees as it is way under the dash. I got the constant on TPMS light once because my girlfriend shoved her purse way up under by her feet. The strap hit the switch and the car was now expecting the sensors from my winter tires which were not on the vehicle.

Just a thought.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 11-23-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 04:49 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by steviej
Make sure the "Main Set / B Set" switch didn't get accidentally hit. This switch is under the dashboard directly below the glove compartment latch. Got to get on your knees as it is way under the dash. I got the constant on TPMS light once because my girlfriend shoved her pusue way up under by her feet. The strap hit the switch and the car was now expecting the sensors from my winter tires which were not on the vehicle.

Just a thought.

steviej
I guess, we all forgot about that little button, I've had it happening to me too.