GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire pressure sensors causing slow leak...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 06:26 PM
Todd Edge
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire pressure sensors causing slow leak...

I put on new wheels last week and when changing the sensors over to the new wheels, we could tell 2 of the factory gaskets were worn out. We called the local Lexus dealer and they stated the only way to get the new gaskets was to buy the full sensor for each wheel! We decided to try and make the sensors seal and they have for almost a week. It rained today and I noticed the 2 wheels that we attempted to "make it work" are leaking very, very slightly. Does anyone know if I can buy just the sensor gaskets? I'm hoping my deler just didn't realize what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-29-11, 06:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm that's funny. when i brought my friend's lexus to change tire, they said the gasket should be changed and they had it for like 4-5 bucks each.

have you tried some other local shops?
Old 11-29-11, 07:06 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Tighten them with a 11mm socket if there to tight loosen them I do them as tight as I can with just socket in hand no ratchet. I always reuse the gaskets and have done 100's of these
Old 11-29-11, 08:32 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
Tighten them with a 11mm socket if there to tight loosen them I do them as tight as I can with just socket in hand no ratchet. I always reuse the gaskets and have done 100's of these
As seen here http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/4529.html they come seperate, give sewell guys a cal or even email see what they say. Dealers all they want is ure money.
Old 11-29-11, 09:06 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you need a new fit kit.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...uild-kits.html
Old 11-30-11, 01:25 PM
Todd Edge
Driver

Thanks guys. Looks like I need the fit kit. The little rubber o-ring is what I think is worn out. I played with it last night with a socket and got it to a point where it isn't leaking but I think it is only a matter of time. I'll call sewell to see if I can buy 4 kits to have on-hand.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-30-11, 03:29 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea typical "stealership" antics
Old 12-03-11, 06:37 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any decent tire store chain will have the rebuild kits for almost every brand of TPMS. I just had a tire fixed because of a nail and they did a rebuild on the sensor and stem automatically. Those parts were only $12.
Lexus TPMS sensors are made by a company called Pacific.

steviej
Old 12-05-11, 04:48 AM
MorphiuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good cheap way to get new sensors is to go to tire rack setup a cart to buy rims with new sensors and just delete the rims out of the cart. It was less then buying them on eBay.
Old 05-01-21, 01:53 AM
iMike
10th Gear

Hello

May I ask what did you end up doing?

I just found out that I’ve got a tiny leak from around the valve in all four wheels and I’m just thinking if should I try buying the fitting kit rather than the whole TPMS?

Also if it comes to replacing the TPMS, should I get a genuine one or would a cheaper replacement be fine?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-21, 06:22 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 780 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by iMike
Hello

May I ask what did you end up doing?

I just found out that I’ve got a tiny leak from around the valve in all four wheels and I’m just thinking if should I try buying the fitting kit rather than the whole TPMS?

Also if it comes to replacing the TPMS, should I get a genuine one or would a cheaper replacement be fine?

Thanks in advance.

Grab a bottle of water with a few drops of dish washing soap, spray the valve stem and with a socket and wrech tighten the top nut until it stops leaking out. Also the soap water is great for finding other leaks, so spray the whole tire all around and look for bubbles.

As for tpms sensors, I honestly wouldnt bother putting new seals. Our cars are at the age where it is time to replace the sensors as a whole. I would avoid cheap china sensors, if you plan on keeping the car. What I did when I replaced mine, was I purchased Denso brand sensors from rockauto.com. I think they were $31 each! If you do buy the denso make sure you buy from a reputable source as there are knock offs. There also maybe "oem" knock offs on ebay so beware.

Before mounting your sensors it is important to snap a picture of the serial numbers of each individual sensor. After a tire shops mounts them, with a scanner they will need to delete the old serials numbers from the ecu and type in the new ones for all 4 sensors.
Old 05-01-21, 10:09 AM
iMike
10th Gear

Thanks a lot for your reply, I’ll try tightening the nut first then.

I’m just confused about the fitting kit, do you need to order that in addition to the TPMS sensor? Because it looks like the sensor doesn’t come with the nut and maybe that’s where the leak is...

It’s true that I might need replacing the whole sensors anyway soon but for now I could save over £300 with just using the kit, so I think I’ll just try that first if tightening the nut doesn’t help.

Thanks again, really appreciate your input.
Old 05-01-21, 12:41 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iMike
Thanks a lot for your reply, I’ll try tightening the nut first then.

I’m just confused about the fitting kit, do you need to order that in addition to the TPMS sensor? Because it looks like the sensor doesn’t come with the nut and maybe that’s where the leak is...

It’s true that I might need replacing the whole sensors anyway soon but for now I could save over £300 with just using the kit, so I think I’ll just try that first if tightening the nut doesn’t help.

Thanks again, really appreciate your input.
Wet the valve stems and see, it could also be a bad schrader valve, that tiny pin you press to release air pressure that is easily replaceable. If its leaking around the nut just tighten enough to stop the leak.

New sensors come complete, valve stem nut washer etc. Like I mentioned I purchased Denso brand (toyota owns a large share in) sensors from rockauto they cost $31 each sensor = $125 plus shipping. If you purchased the repair kit how much will that cost you $8-10 each? Then you have to pay a tire shop to break the bead loose and have them installed. Basically pay the extra now to save money/time later. These sensors have little button batteries that will eventually drain or pop.
Old 06-01-21, 05:04 PM
iMike
10th Gear

Sorry for late update and thank you for your input.

I thought I’ll be able to fix the leaking valves cheap only with the new fitting kits (£9) but none of the valves would unscrew and had to be cut. In the end I paid £70 per wheel to fix the leak and got all new 4 TPMS’.

One of the valves was strange, snapped and glued in (see picture attached).

The second picture is the new sensor.

The mechanic checked all 4 wheels under water and they seems to be fine now👍🏻

Old 06-01-21, 06:55 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

For that much money why didnt you just buy oem sensors from the dealer? instead of aftermarket autel sensors. Denso is the closest brand to oem, as toyota owns them, and they were 1/4 of what you paid. Important thing is there fixed

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensors causing slow leak...