GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extreme Dimensions Front Facia

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 03:24 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, just remember that he's done this to other vendors too. We honestly dont even market excessively on this forum, but we still pay monthly. As you and I both know its not cheap. We enjoy supporting the community and believe it or not we are here to tackle Customer Service issues rather then sell parts. But of course it doesn't hurt to sell a few kits every now and then. My apologies to you if I offended you in anyway, but being called a thief in any language is never a good thing. Friends?

Ice350, I really appreciate your positive feedback on our parts. Just remember I am not going to sit here and lie to you about anything we sell, if I know for a fact something doesn't fit, I will tell you. Either way, I can't wait to see your end result! Sorry about your lip as well.

Last edited by Extreme Dimensions; 12-12-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 03:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's one of my pics with the Extreme Dimensions kit. Looks pretty good to me.

Old 12-12-11, 03:29 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Here's one of my pics with the Extreme Dimensions kit. Looks pretty good to me.

I would say it looks amazing but then I might be called biased lol.. looks great man!
Old 12-12-11, 03:46 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would like to know is why do the jdm kits have to cost sooooo much money, and you still have problems with them to fit or not. If they are making these kits specifically for a car, and its not a universal kit why would one have this problem, its just mind boggling that pieces of plastic can cost more than a good used car
Old 12-12-11, 04:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
What I would like to know is why do the jdm kits have to cost sooooo much money, and you still have problems with them to fit or not. If they are making these kits specifically for a car, and its not a universal kit why would one have this problem, its just mind boggling that pieces of plastic can cost more than a good used car
On top of that, after you spend 2-5K on the kit, you have to cough up 1-1.5K to get it painted and installed.
I went all out for my old SC300 and decided I would never spend that much cheddar again. I will at least try to find bargains before giving in.,
Old 12-12-11, 10:05 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
The reason why jdm kits cost much more money than those are accustomed to is because of a variety of reasons, (i) you're buying a name brand, (ii) you're paying for international shipping, (iii) currency exchange and (iv) part of the heritage, especially in terms of the "VIP" theme.

The reason why some of these kits don't fit 100% is because some of the japanese bumpers and radiator supports and what not are not to the same spec as the US models. Primarily all the differences I've seen can easily be solved if the body shop is competent enough to patiently take their time and figure the issue out, versus "force-fitting" a bumper and then just telling a customer the "kit doesn't fit".

On top of that, after you spend 2-5K on the kit, you have to cough up 1-1.5K to get it painted and installed.
I went all out for my old SC300 and decided I would never spend that much cheddar again. I will at least try to find bargains before giving in.,
Well, you're going to spend that amount of $1-1.5K painting/installing your kit regardless if you buy japanese or not. So, the difference is strictly with purchase price.

Price point preference in these bodykits, IMO, is the same difference between those people who have to buy real Rolex watches from AD vs. those people who are complacent purchasing a watch from Canal St. in Chinatown. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-13-11, 05:25 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ all very good points...I still think the most important factor was left out. Those are small portion to the pie

The reason your paying MORE for something that is AUTHENTIC is they took the time to DESIGN it with all the man hours that went into molding a one off piece and going back to the drawing board again and again and again...on top of all the time they may put in behind a cad drawing system.

The reality here is that its MUCH easier for anyone to take a part and have it copied. All your paying for is the cost, marginal compared to the company that created it, is to have a mold made and your up and in business. So now that I STOLE your design I can mfg it with minimal overhead keeping my cost lower then the company that technically owns the design. If you reside in the states now I have an advantage. I can ship to you much quicker since I don't have to wait for a container to fill up.

End result...the companies that we admire so much for the designs and creativity they bring us are no longer in business from those who STEAL!

Good and Bad is that in America this is more commonly referred to as competition. I am all for competition and keeping prices fair but this is not the ethical way of doing that. But in reality this happens all day long and so many of us take it with a grain of salt. Figure how many of us buy a generic food, prescription, ect...well they got that from the competition and most of them are exact to the T. Some yes have minimal variances.

I have purchased a knock off and will never do it again!! I am guilty by association myself trying to save a few $$ and probably spent more when it was all said and done. Others have had better success then I have.

At the end of the day we all have a choice here!

Last edited by passnu2; 12-13-11 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-13-11, 06:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
The reason your paying MORE for something that is AUTHENTIC is they took the time to DESIGN it with all the man hours that went into molding a one off piece and going back to the drawing board again and again and again...on top of all the time they may put in behind a cad drawing system.
exactly. those companies spent the time on the R&D to produce the product. Not saying ED products are not good but everyone has their own opinions on knock-off vs authentic.
Old 12-13-11, 06:43 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

that kit looks even worse on the pics above. sorry man, it just doesn't flow. there shouldn't be that much overlap where it connects to the car. I've seen a lot of kits on here that are integrated much better than that.
Old 12-13-11, 07:37 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

^ all very good points...I still think the most important factor was left out. Those are small portion to the pie

The reality here is that its MUCH easier for anyone to take a part and have it copied. All your paying for is the cost, marginal compared to the company that created it, is to have a mold made and your up and in business. So now that I STOLE your design I can mfg it with minimal overhead keeping my cost lower then the company that technically owns the design. If you reside in the states now I have an advantage. I can ship to you much quicker since I don't have to wait for a container to fill up.

End result...the companies that we admire so much for the designs and creativity they bring us are no longer in business from those who STEAL!

Good and Bad is that in America this is more commonly referred to as competition. I am all for competition and keeping prices fair but this is not the ethical way of doing that. But in reality this happens all day long and so many of us take it with a grain of salt. Figure how many of us buy a generic food, prescription, ect...well they got that from the competition and most of them are exact to the T. Some yes have minimal variances.

I have purchased a knock off and will never do it again!! I am guilty by association myself trying to save a few $$ and probably spent more when it was all said and done. Others have had better success then I have.

At the end of the day we all have a choice here!

Although your points are good, I don't see an end to this proliferation of design in the auto world. Actually, many people and products copy popular deigns of others.
The 3GS design, especially the rear has been copied by several companies. General Motors copied the whole darn car. I see plenty of them on the road too. It's a cheaper 3GS. Does it bother me? Not really.
Such copying is actually necessary, to a point.
How would we feel if no one else made a cell phone. Someone copied that.
How would we feel if no one else made a TV. Someone copied that.
How would we feel if no one else made jeans. Someone copied Levi.

Choices can be a good thing.....choices are a good thing.
Old 12-13-11, 08:31 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

How would we feel if no one else made a cell phone. Someone copied that.
How would we feel if no one else made a TV. Someone copied that.
How would we feel if no one else made jeans. Someone copied Levi.
your generalizing too much. theres a difference between copying an exact product such as a kit vs making a different tv. example would be the kit above and say a 720i lcd tv vs a 1080i plasma tv which are 2 totally different things.

i have no problem with someone copying a kit, to me it doesnt make much a difference but others feel different which is ok as well. at the end of the day its to each their own.
Old 12-13-11, 08:50 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Choices can be a good thing.....choices are a good thing.
Thank you

Yes choices and competition as I stated above are a very good thing This keeps people and companies in line.

I just still think copying is not they way, take the kit and improve it then yes now they have invested time into the kit to call it there's.

I wonder if Extreme Dimensions would mind if I took one of these kits they say they designed and had it reversed molded and sold it for less and offered a 1 day turn time how they would feel
Old 12-13-11, 09:28 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if Extreme Dimensions would mind if I took one of these kits they say they designed and had it reversed molded and sold it for less and offered a 1 day turn time how they would feel

I don't get why we're complaining. That only benefits the consumer. We have access to a kit, similar to the JDM pieces, at a reduced price without the wait. If quality/fitment is close to the same, it's a no brainer.

Also, I agree with Extreme Dimensions about the site. Very unprofessional of clublexus to have a representative of the site bash a PAYING vendor. It's one thing to criticize knock-offs, it got personal when you directly called them thieves
Old 12-13-11, 09:53 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

The only problem I have with buying replicas is that we AREN"T supporting the companies that initially designed and tested the products. If I were to put the investment into producing a product, I'd expect to make a return on it rather than having it copied and sold for cheap! I came up with it, so its mine, right?

I understand we all have choices and budgets and will choose whatever we want. When it comes to a luxury item, i buy only AUTHENTIC!
Old 12-13-11, 09:53 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ice350, i like your kit better than the full bumper replacement.

which one is authentic and which one is the copy: Honey Smacks vs. Golden Crisp?
mystery to me since i was a kid

Quick Reply: Extreme Dimensions Front Facia