GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How a 3rd gen GS looks like without GPS navigation

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 11:09 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How a 3rd gen GS looks like without GPS navigation

Hehe
Just an FYI for those who don't know.

Since most of you guys live in places where the Lexus GS is available with GPS Navigation, well you may not know this but what about those countries where Lexus sells cars without navigation systems (like in the Philippines).

Now, you may be wondering why a premium car manufacturer may not have GPS Navigation offered (even as a cost option). The thing here is, there are obviously some places in the world that are less developed and less technologically-advanced (heck, in some places, owning an automobile is a luxury only for rich people).

Here in the Philippines, Lexus models are currently not equipped with GPS Navigation systems. So what happens then?

In the case of the 3GS, here is what it looks like:

The most obvious differences are there are less buttons.

To compare, for GPS navigation models, there are five or six or eight buttons on the sides. In here, there are four buttons on the sides (namely CLIMATE, AUDIO, INFO and DISP).

Point is: You don't lose much even if the 3GS (like the GS460 Philippine model shown in the pictures) does not have GPS Navigation. You still get a screen either way and IMHO, that's a very big bonus (only less than 5% of cars in my country have a screen like this so yeah, it's high tech to most Filipinos).

And for our model, it still comes with Mark Levinson sound system. Branded sound system FTW!!!

Hope this info helps.
Old 12-17-11, 12:10 PM
is636
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EEEK! That is a huge screen for radio and trip info.
Old 12-17-11, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

you can get a 3GS here in the States without Navigation like the picture shown albeit no Mark Levinson option
Old 12-17-11, 01:30 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Interesting indeed!
Old 12-17-11, 03:01 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make use of the screen get a viastech ipod video module and watch and play uour ipod on the screen
Old 12-17-11, 05:46 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It very easy to add navigation to that car if you wanted
Old 12-17-11, 06:05 PM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow interesting. There is no airplane fin on it. Not sure in Thailand have Lexus car with GPS.
Old 12-17-11, 10:58 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
It very easy to add navigation to that car if you wanted
Not really

Originally Posted by pbateson
There is no airplane fin on it.
What he said

The airplane fin thingy acts like the antenna for the satellite signal. If there's no antenna, then there is no data communication possible.

Furthermore, the GPS mapping data for my country (Philippines) is insufficient and has not reached that level yet (the kind that you guys have in US, Europe, Japan or more advanced countries).

Maybe after 5 years, we'll see.......but for now, mapping data for GPS Navigation in this country NEEDS a lot of work. For a premium automaker like Lexus, they would not dare to make GPS Navigation a standard feature (or even an option) if the map data is pathetic and the features associated with it are incomplete or abysmal.

you can get a 3GS here in the States without Navigation like the picture shown albeit no Mark Levinson option
That's interesting.

But you mentioned that if you remove GPS navigation over there (Stateside models), then you Mark Levinson sound system is also removed. I see I see.

Here in the Philippines (Lexus Manila), you get the screen WITHOUT GPS Navigation BUT thankfully Mark Levinson audio is still retained (which in the case of the 3GS is a 14 speaker system). Personally, if I'm forced to choose, then I'd rather pick branded sound system over GPS Navigation anyday

And another interesting thing:
I saw something else.

I'm not sure but I think I saw a logo for "DVD". Wow.

I guess this is one of the benefits of having ML (and a screen)

In addition:
For Philippine-spec models of the 3rd gen Lexus GS (which is GS460 without D-4S direct injection), since it comes with a screen, you also get bluetooth connectivity. Here in the Philippines, only the Lexus LS, GS and LX570 have ML and bluetooth phone feature.

I tried it and it's a really nifty and cool feature where you don't have to hold your phone when making a call. There is a microphone inside the vehicle that captures the voice and the audio is outputted via the car's speakers. It's a really cool feature imho.

A feature that only comes standard in less than 1% of vehicles (here in the Philippines). It's an exclusive feature indeed

P.S.
Make use of the screen get a viastech ipod video module and watch and play uour ipod on the screen
Is it an attachment?
Or
Is this a third party application or aftermarket feature or modification? If so, then Lexus Manila will VOID your warranty (here in the Philippines).
Old 12-18-11, 08:34 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My car doesn't have navigation. When I was shopping I specifically chose one without it... I paid a bit less and I hardly ever use nav, it's one less thing to break or have to pay exorbitant prices to keep updated. I keep a cheap garmin in the console for the rare occasion that I get lost. Every blue moon I might spend a hundred bucks and get a completely new garmin to stay on top of things.

Yeah, it's a huge screen for radio and honestly it doesn't make sense to me why nav is an option but the screen itself wasn't part of the "nav package" but whatever. I've been driving the car for years and I think I've needed to use the garmin less times than I have fingers on my hands.
Old 12-18-11, 08:38 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen plenty without the Nav here in the states. I like the screen for the radio climate etc. It gives that car so much style.
Old 12-18-11, 09:53 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 208 Likes on 138 Posts

To me, the Lexus NAV is pretty useless although it does look fancy with the extra buttons and map display . My GS has it and I prefer the google map on my iPhone.
Old 12-18-11, 09:56 AM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is that mercury metallic silver or starfire pearl?
Old 12-18-11, 12:05 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsteve
is that mercury metallic silver or starfire pearl?
It's definitely silver. In Asia Pacific and Japan, I think this color is called "Premium Silver" (colour code: 1F2)

Anyways
Some may the screen is too big for just a radio.

But imho, it's gotta a screen so what's there to complain/nitpick :P

Hehe

Btw
How is it over there (in Stateside or in other countries)? GPS Navigation is standard or optional feature?

If it's standard, I'm guessing you have an option to remove it and get a discount due to the feature removal?
Old 12-18-11, 06:51 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I'm not sure but I think I saw a logo for "DVD". Wow.

I guess this is one of the benefits of having ML (and a screen)
thanks for sharing, it's always interesting to see GS in other countries and find out what they have (or don't have).

but to answer your quoted comments, you can play dvd video on ML. that is the benefit of having ML audio. all you need to do is step on the brake pedal in park position and play the dvd. if you are courageous, you can play dvd while in motion (you need need to either get a dvd/navi bypass system - like prestigious society - or do a wire hack - both methods are documented in this forum. do a search and you'll find it).
Old 12-19-11, 04:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
thanks for sharing, it's always interesting to see GS in other countries and find out what they have (or don't have).

but to answer your quoted comments, you can play dvd video on ML. that is the benefit of having ML audio. all you need to do is step on the brake pedal in park position and play the dvd. if you are courageous, you can play dvd while in motion (you need need to either get a dvd/navi bypass system - like prestigious society - or do a wire hack - both methods are documented in this forum. do a search and you'll find it).
Hehe sure.

But for me, personally, I wouldn't want to resort to hacking. And it's not like my front passenger would require to watch a movie or any video while the car is in motion. Hehe just saying

Quick Reply: How a 3rd gen GS looks like without GPS navigation