GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Nothing but headaches with warranty company

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 05:28 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothing but headaches with warranty company

I bought my '07 GS350 from a Nissan dealer that I work at. Against my will, they sold me an extended warranty through Nissan Corporation. A few months ago, I started hearing the cam gear noise so I took it to the Lexus dealer. They had the warranty company come out and a few hours after they were there, they called and declined the claim. They said it was a preexisting condition and that there was a TSB out on the problem. The Nissan dealer fought them for me but they wouldn't budge. Luckily, for me, I am friends with the service manager at the Lexus dealer and he was able to get Lexus to fix it as a courtesy warranty claim because I was out of the factory warranty. About a month ago, I noticed a new problem with the car. When the car was between 2nd and 3rd gear, the car would "shudder" and it felt like it needed to drop to a lower gear. I took it to the Lexus dealer last Thursday and they said the transmission was failing. They called the warranty company and they said they couldn't make it out until today. The dealership called me about an hour ago and said the warranty company declined this repair too! They are claiming this is also a preexisting condition and the dealership I bought it from should have noticed the problem when I bought the car. There is absolutely no way this problem was there when I bought the car 6 months ago, I would have felt it then. I am ready to strangle someone and I'm almost to the point of making the dealership take back the car. How can they decline a claim as obvious as this? I can almost understand them declining the cam gear because there was a TSB. I called the General Manager at the Nissan dealer and expressed how upset I was. He offered to take the car back and put me in a loaded 2012 Maxima,but I really love my GS. Anyone have any suggestions?Do I just have bad luck with this car?Should I get the Maxima? Of course my wife was totally against buying a used car because we always get new. I told her we would get the extended warranty and not have any worries. Look how that worked out.
Old 01-03-12, 05:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

as much as you love your gs, take it back (especially the GM is willing to take the car back). you just don't know what's going to happen to the car next, but you can almost tell for sure what the warranty company is going to say.

start looking for another car. gs are in general solid, i think you just ran into a lemon car. try to be patient and look for a lexus cpo one, that should be better

best of luck!
Old 01-03-12, 05:55 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Damn that really sucks, but as rominl said I would give it back to the dealership if he is offering it. Never know what else will occur and the trasnmission is not cheap. I would take the 12 maxima if its a good deal, but if you loved the GS keep looking as rominl said.

Hope everything works out for you!
Old 01-03-12, 05:55 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

give it back get something else
Old 01-03-12, 05:57 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take that thing bak, get another gs from lexus problem solved

Last edited by TWong350; 01-04-12 at 08:39 AM. Reason: profanity
Old 01-03-12, 06:04 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im sorry to hear about you situation,,,if you buying used lexus, certified is way to go,,,
Old 01-03-12, 06:09 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LIMS407
im sorry to hear about you situation,,,if you buying used lexus, certified is way to go,,,
I know, but I got the car for $20k because I work there. It seemed like a deal too good to pass up. The car is in MINT condition too.

Old 01-03-12, 07:05 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LenniePaz
I bought my '07 GS350 from a Nissan dealer that I work at. Against my will, they sold me an extended warranty through Nissan Corporation. A few months ago, I started hearing the cam gear noise so I took it to the Lexus dealer. They had the warranty company come out and a few hours after they were there, they called and declined the claim. They said it was a preexisting condition and that there was a TSB out on the problem. The Nissan dealer fought them for me but they wouldn't budge. Luckily, for me, I am friends with the service manager at the Lexus dealer and he was able to get Lexus to fix it as a courtesy warranty claim because I was out of the factory warranty. About a month ago, I noticed a new problem with the car. When the car was between 2nd and 3rd gear, the car would "shudder" and it felt like it needed to drop to a lower gear. I took it to the Lexus dealer last Thursday and they said the transmission was failing. They called the warranty company and they said they couldn't make it out until today. The dealership called me about an hour ago and said the warranty company declined this repair too! They are claiming this is also a preexisting condition and the dealership I bought it from should have noticed the problem when I bought the car. There is absolutely no way this problem was there when I bought the car 6 months ago, I would have felt it then. I am ready to strangle someone and I'm almost to the point of making the dealership take back the car. How can they decline a claim as obvious as this? I can almost understand them declining the cam gear because there was a TSB. I called the General Manager at the Nissan dealer and expressed how upset I was. He offered to take the car back and put me in a loaded 2012 Maxima,but I really love my GS. Anyone have any suggestions?Do I just have bad luck with this car?Should I get the Maxima? Of course my wife was totally against buying a used car because we always get new. I told her we would get the extended warranty and not have any worries. Look how that worked out.
Take them (Nissan Corp) to the small claim court. There isn't any TSB regarding tranmission issues. So how can it be a pre-existing condition? How do they know it's a pre-existing cond?

That's why I never buy an EW from a third party.
I wonder if your GS car is still within power train warranty period.
I would bring the car back and get the Maxima.
Old 01-03-12, 08:05 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

I'm going to see what happens after the GM calls the warranty company. If they don't agree to fix it, I will get the Maxima.
Old 01-03-12, 08:17 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would return that vehicle asap, the longer it stays in your possession, would just give them (3rd party warranty) time to start blaming you. You should have gone with a CPO GS with factory warranty. Take it back and get yourself a GTR.
Old 01-03-12, 08:28 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCGS350
I would return that vehicle asap, the longer it stays in your possession, would just give them (3rd party warranty) time to start blaming you. You should have gone with a CPO GS with factory warranty. Take it back and get yourself a GTR.
I couldn't afford a CPO GS.I paid $20k for the car and I thought by getting an extended warranty, my butt would be covered. It seemed like a great plan at the time, but it seems to be backfiring. What is a GTR by the way??
Old 01-03-12, 09:06 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Nissan Skyline GTR, Give it back and don't settle for a nissan maxima. I got few friends who own it and they go to dealer almost every month replacing stuff. Try to somehow get a good deal on a 2007 GS, 2007 GS with lexus extended warranty shouldn't be more then $25,000. Its 5 grand more but its also 1 year newer and known to have less problems. Like i have a GS350 2007 with lexus extended warranty if i was to sell it I wouldn't settle for less then $25,000 for it. Lexus official warranty until 10-30-2014 .
Old 01-03-12, 09:14 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

The Nissan dealer I bought the car from also has an Infiniti dealer. They have an '08 GS350 with 55k on their website. I wonder if they would work something out with me?
Old 01-03-12, 10:12 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would transmission fail on car like this? Doesn't sound right. There's a reason why a lexus ended up at a nissan dealer. Had similar experience with a used benz at a small dealership. Let's just say when buying a luxury car I'll stick with stealerships.
Old 01-03-12, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Why would transmission fail on car like this? Doesn't sound right. There's a reason why a lexus ended up at a nissan dealer. Had similar experience with a used benz at a small dealership. Let's just say when buying a luxury car I'll stick with stealerships.
actually over my time i have seen more than a few tranny failures in lexus. granted, some of those cars were driven really hard, but some are just random cases. of course, very few

Quick Reply: Nothing but headaches with warranty company