GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

General TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 10:47 PM
GS430nCool
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General TPMS question

I tried searching for my answer 1st in the Wheel thread... Hopefully it's ok to post it here....

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels. Not going big, no pulling, dropping, etc. Tho I did come across a set of wheels with wider rear ones I'm going to look at (I think they are 8s and 9s). Question is: can whatever it is that makes the TPMS work on the stock wheels be moved over to my new wheels? Is it just part of the air valve and will the system go on pretty much any wheel?

Thanks for your help.....
Old 01-14-12, 10:50 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GS430nCool
I tried searching for my answer 1st in the Wheel thread... Hopefully it's ok to post it here....

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels. Not going big, no pulling, dropping, etc. Tho I did come across a set of wheels with wider rear ones I'm going to look at (I think they are 8s and 9s). Question is: can whatever it is that makes the TPMS work on the stock wheels be moved over to my new wheels? Is it just part of the air valve and will the system go on pretty much any wheel?

Thanks for your help.....
No, not every wheel, especially the older ones, will take the TPMS sensor. Before you buy it, make sure it is TPMS compatible.
Old 01-14-12, 11:11 PM
GS430nCool
Rookie

Originally Posted by arnieosp
No, not every wheel, especially the older ones, will take the TPMS sensor. Before you buy it, make sure it is TPMS compatible.
ok, thanks -- so a follow-up Q: these wheels I'm going to look at have tires on them and they aren't Lexus wheels they are aftermarket. Not sure how old they are as the guy that has them bought them used too. Anything else I can look for? Or go back to the manufacturer of the wheel and ask them? thanks...
Old 01-14-12, 11:12 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

It will most likely work. The valve stem hole is universal on just about all cars on the road. Two issues you may run into is if the aftermarket wheels' valve stem hole is oddly placed or recessed. The TPMS itself inside the wheel is usually about the size of an old pager minus the belt clip. If you have the TPMS that is held on by a strap around center of the wheel--Simply extend, make, or buy a longer strap.

Send me a picture of the exact wheels you are wanting to get if you can. Preferebly without tires.
Old 01-14-12, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Iam99x
It will most likely work. The valve stem hole is universal on just about all cars on the road. Two issues you may run into is if the aftermarket wheels' valve stem hole is oddly placed or recessed. The TPMS itself inside the wheel is usually about the size of an old pager minus the belt clip. If you have the TPMS that is held on by a strap around center of the wheel--Simply extend, make, or buy a longer strap.

Send me a picture of the exact wheels you are wanting to get if you can. Preferebly without tires.
actually, a lot of aftermarket wheels, especially 2/3 piece wheels, from the past are not tpms compatible. that's because of the placement of the valve stem opening which is in the middle of the barrel rather than on an angled surface like stock 1 piece wheels.

most of the new aftermarket wheels has this addressed already and thus tpms compatible. but for older wheels, one solution might be to drill another hole on the back side of the wheel to put in the tpms
Old 01-15-12, 01:33 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually, a lot of aftermarket wheels, especially 2/3 piece wheels, from the past are not tpms compatible. that's because of the placement of the valve stem opening which is in the middle of the barrel rather than on an angled surface like stock 1 piece wheels.

most of the new aftermarket wheels has this addressed already and thus tpms compatible. but for older wheels, one solution might be to drill another hole on the back side of the wheel to put in the tpms
Another option is to run these adaptors

http://www.iforged.com/store/index.p...427e7307d5a999

Edwin
Old 01-15-12, 08:37 AM
GS430nCool
Rookie

Thanks a bunch for all your collective advice. The wheels are older one piece alloy (single casting). It looks like from what you've all said, no matter what there woiuld be a way to get the TPMS to work with them, so next is to get my car back (wife is on a trip to see family) and pull a wheel and go over to the guy's house and do some comparison measurements.

I'll go back up to the wheel thread and see if I can get schooled more in how to figure out the offset/backset/whatever set for fit
Old 01-16-12, 07:01 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The offset is generally stamped on the back of the wheel somewhere, either on the back of the spokes or on a sticker. GL