GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extended warranty suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 08:33 AM
fawghan1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty suggestions

I have an '07 GS 350 AWD and now at the end of my power train warranty. I've been trying to be a bit open minded in researching some of these 3rd party established companies that's been ringing my phone off the hook, (and filling my mail box). Do anyone have any suggestions for extended warranty companies base on their experience? Lexus recommended US Fidelis, BUT, after research they are going under,(CEO is a criminal).
Old 01-18-12, 10:13 AM
GS430nCool
Rookie

We bought an EW from Zurich when we purchased our car used. It also only had a limited amount of powertrain warranty left. We bought the car from a large BMW dealer and this is the only 3rd party company they will deal with. We ended up getting a Comprehensive policy (covers just about everything other than wear/tear items) for 36 months and 36k miles, but we did opt for a $200 deductable (lowers premium). We negotiated the price down to $2186 from $2700.

So here's the catch for you: Since you aren't buying the warranty at the same time you are buying the car, You can only buy a Zurich policy through a dealer that carries them and only after they do an inspection on the car (I'm sure there's a cost burried in there for that). Then you will have a "no-claim" period, I think it's 45 days, that's so they aren't getting caught by folks with a condition just starting to occur etc... Since we bought ours at the same time as car purchase, there was no delay if we had a problem.

Zurich offers 3 levels of coverage: A powertrain only, a limited plan and the one we got. You also can get a pro-rated refund if you don't use the warranty, or transfer it to a new owner if you sell the car ($50 xfer fee). Ours covers loaner cars and towing and trip interruption, etc. -- stuff we don't care about, but it also covers every little electronic gizmo on the car.

So, I spoke to my local Lexus dealer's Service Manager and asked him about working with Zurich -- he said they are no better or worse than the rest, and where they've had problems in the past is where one component fails and causes secondary damage. Another forum member here posted that they had good luck getting a repair covered through his Zurich policy -- that was encouraging to hear. So we plan to keep it for at least a year and see if we need it, then decide if we want to get the 2/3rds premium back...

Good luck with whatever you decide, but there are some horror stories on a LOT of these 3rd party (buy over the internet) EW companies, so it's good your are doing some homework here...
Old 01-19-12, 10:55 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extended warranties: Buy Lexus (search the forum - this topic has been beaten to death).

End of thread.
Old 01-19-12, 12:10 PM
GS430nCool
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Extended warranties: Buy Lexus (search the forum - this topic has been beaten to death).

End of thread.
It may be beaten to death, but there are a whole bunch of folks that say: "Buy a Lexus Warranty" on this forum as if one can just go do that. Well he can't, and I can't -- and I searched and read a ton of posts and wasted a bunch of time trying to "Buy a Lexus Warranty" getting that pat advice.

Maybe we can get a Mod to put it in the FAQs plain and simple: If you are still within your new car Lexus Warranty, you've got options, but the number one option is to Buy a Lexus Warranty. If you are outside your new car warranty you Can Not Buy A Lexus Extended Warranty.
Old 01-21-12, 09:07 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS430nCool
It may be beaten to death, but there are a whole bunch of folks that say: "Buy a Lexus Warranty" on this forum as if one can just go do that. Well he can't, and I can't -- and I searched and read a ton of posts and wasted a bunch of time trying to "Buy a Lexus Warranty" getting that pat advice.

Maybe we can get a Mod to put it in the FAQs plain and simple: If you are still within your new car Lexus Warranty, you've got options, but the number one option is to Buy a Lexus Warranty. If you are outside your new car warranty you Can Not Buy A Lexus Extended Warranty.
The majority say buy a Lexus warranty based on experience.

IMO, in this scenario if you can't afford a Lexus extended warranty, you can't afford the car. Buying (practically) anything third party never ends well. The adage 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind. If one is too cheap to spend the extra dollars (and doesn't recognize value) on a genuine Lexus extended warranty, then don't buy any warranty. You're better off putting money in a rainy day account and hope for the best.

When your car needs tires, are you more apt to get a set made for Big O or a Pep Boys brand or will you be shopping Pirelli, Yokohama or Continental? Third party 'anything' rarely saves money.

And next time shopping for a car, buy what you can afford (there's no shame in that).
Old 01-21-12, 10:52 AM
GS430nCool
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bushwack
The majority say buy a Lexus warranty based on experience.

IMO, in this scenario if you can't afford a Lexus extended warranty, you can't afford the car. Buying (practically) anything third party never ends well. The adage 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind. If one is too cheap to spend the extra dollars (and doesn't recognize value) on a genuine Lexus extended warranty, then don't buy any warranty. You're better off putting money in a rainy day account and hope for the best.

When your car needs tires, are you more apt to get a set made for Big O or a Pep Boys brand or will you be shopping Pirelli, Yokohama or Continental? Third party 'anything' rarely saves money.

And next time shopping for a car, buy what you can afford (there's no shame in that).
You are off track my friend and mis-reading what I'm saying -- or I am not being clear enough. Let me try again: Lexus does not make their warranties available to folks with used cars that are outside the factory warranty. There are 2 (two) exceptions: (1) You buy a CPO car from Lexus, and it comes with a 3 year Lexus warranty, or (2) you buy your used Lexus (non-CPO) from a Lexus Dealer, and then you can buy a Lexus EW. All of these warranties seem to fall into a roughly $2k price range. If you already own the car you have to find other EW options....

Seeesh, saying I can't afford the car... That is going out there...
Old 01-21-12, 12:02 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS430nCool
You are off track my friend and mis-reading what I'm saying -- or I am not being clear enough. Let me try again: Lexus does not make their warranties available to folks with used cars that are outside the factory warranty. There are 2 (two) exceptions: (1) You buy a CPO car from Lexus, and it comes with a 3 year Lexus warranty, or (2) you buy your used Lexus (non-CPO) from a Lexus Dealer, and then you can buy a Lexus EW. All of these warranties seem to fall into a roughly $2k price range. If you already own the car you have to find other EW options....

Seeesh, saying I can't afford the car... That is going out there...

You were not clear. Nevertheless, my sentiments hold in that if your car is not eligible for a Lexus extended warranty, I still would not look at third party options. Assuming the car has been properly inspected (mechanically) before the purchase, I would put that 'third party warranty' expense in that rainy day fund I referred to.

And I'll throw one other thing out there: Statistically, more cars go in for electrical issues between years 4-7 then mechanical (just ask any Lexus service supervisor). Third party warranties are bad enough on mechanical problems. You think they would make good on an electrical claim??? Parts alone would have to be purchased through Lexus and...well...I've made my point.

BTW, even with the misunderstanding, if someone purchases a Lexus and will not spring for their EW (assuming he/she wants a EW)) due to wanting to save 10-15%, then yes, they can't afford the car. Statistically, more people make purchases that their bank accounts can't support. It's OK to live the high life but usually those that can't afford to, its people like me who end up supplementing their mistakes (higher insurance premiums, cost of goods, taxes, etc).

...a topic for another thread.
Old 01-22-12, 12:39 AM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

try Lexus of Cerrito. They been sent me 2 letters already to extend my warranty, since I just passed 60k miles.
Old 01-22-12, 09:21 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it seems for people out of the factory warranty you have to get a third party EW, I tried contacting a guy named jerry that other members highly recommended, but he told me he couldnt help me cause my factory warranty was already up
Old 01-22-12, 07:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what bushwack said...3rd party extended warranty isn't worth the paper that it is printed on. if you are out of factory warranty, maintain your vehicle in good conditon at the dealer and hope they provide good will if something breaks down.
Old 01-23-12, 10:09 AM
little2576
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased my 06 gs300 in july 2011...Its was purchased as an cpo (still in cpo warranty)
Does it make it available for an EW ? I read the last few post in where it says it has to be either a cpo or purchased from a lexus dealer
Old 01-24-12, 07:23 AM
Khandfw
Driver

I bought my IS from a member on the forum and asked my bank (Credit Union) if they had any extend warranty deals... $955 till 100k or 4 years.
Old 01-24-12, 08:56 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by little2576
I purchased my 06 gs300 in july 2011...Its was purchased as an cpo (still in cpo warranty)
Does it make it available for an EW ? I read the last few post in where it says it has to be either a cpo or purchased from a lexus dealer

I don't think CPO's can have the EW. They come with a different warranty.

On a side note, just curious...how old must a Lexus be before it's TOO OLD to be accepted as a trade-in (or too old to be re-sold as a CPO)? I recall it use to be 6 years but as we live in a disposable society, I'm thinking it may be 5 or 4 years (for certain models).
Old 01-27-12, 09:52 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i bought my car w/ this company AULCorp warranty
https://www.google.com/search?q=aulcorp

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-franc...-napa-ca-13815

seems like a good company, A+ in BBB rating. We'll see how it goes when i have warranty problem i guess.
Old 01-27-12, 12:22 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Company called AUL has a great warranty package called the ESTATE, We sell it to our customers all the time at the dealership i own. PM me for more details if needed.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty suggestions