GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bike Ski Cargo Rack Options Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 01:40 PM
terrera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My LBS cautioned me strongly about the Bones RS saying that its use could result in damage to the spoiler. I really like the rack and the way it installs and fits. Is my local bike shop guy being overly cautious? Has anyone used this rack on a GS 350 driving highway miles?
Tony
Old 06-03-08, 01:58 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The pads sit on the top and bottom of spoiler and are applying pressure as you tighten the straps. Whether this will result in long-term damage to the spoiler, I don't know. I've used the rack on the highway just about every weekend for the last two months, with no ill effects (other than gas mileage), but the distances have not been more the 20-30 miles.
Old 06-03-08, 04:27 PM
terrera
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I am tempted to go forward with caution. I haven't seen a bike rack that is anywhere near as convenient as the Bones RS. I looked at the Bones 3, which is approved by Saris for use on the GS 350, but don't feel like dealing with six straps, especially two that require me to crawl under the car to attach.
Old 06-03-08, 06:24 PM
larrs
Driver

I can't imagine where underneath the straps would attach. On my car ('06 GS300), everything is plastic unless you go way underneath. That's why I went with the Bones RS. I had an old Thule rack with six straps and I could not find anywhere to attach to bottom two straps.
Old 06-03-08, 08:38 PM
tmv22
Driver

i have been using the RS too! i havent noticed any ill fx driving around in the city, max speed of 45mph. this thing feels extremely sturdy!!
Old 06-04-08, 05:04 PM
terrera
Driver School Candidate

It does seem quite sturdy. Saris customer service told me that there are two issues that keep them from certifying the Bones RS as compatible with the GS 350. Issue one is the contact with the trunk spoiler and the potential for damage. Issue two is with the hooks that attach under the trunk lip. The Saris guy told me that you have to open the Lexus trunk to attach the hooks and that, upon closing, the automatic trunk lid closer might bend the hooks and compromise their effectiveness, or "spit" the hooks back out.

Not sure what to conclude from this but wanted to pass along the information. Further insights from actual users would be helpful.
Old 06-05-08, 03:14 PM
larrs
Driver

The trunk hooks get driven into the plastic bumper cover, so there are marks left behind -- but they are only visible when you open the trunk, since the are under the lip.
Old 06-06-08, 12:39 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdog
I use a trunk rack. Best one there is - Saris Bones RS. Not like other truck carriers that have like 6 straps. This thing has 2 straps, is solid as hell, and locks securely to the car. It is super easy to put on and take off. I hate the look of roof racks. I like my car clean. But, its easy to carry my bike when I need it.

It touches the car at the bottom of the trunk, just on top of and just under the spoiler, and straps hook at the top of the trunk lid. I had my clear bra guy put small pads of clear bra material where the rack touches.

For your fram, you will still need one of those support bars that goes from your stem to your seat. Thats the only way to carry many newer FS bikes.

jdog - totally off subject, but is that a marzocchi fork on your bike? nice ride. i just picked up my first hardtail last week
Old 06-28-08, 09:43 AM
terrera
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the Saris Bones RS bike rack, I bought it a month ago and have used it six times without incident. Three times were at highway speeds for 10 miles carrying two bikes and the other three times were back road hauls of less than ten miles. This is a real easy rack to install and use. I haven't seen any damage or marks to my trunk lid, spoiler, or bumper.
Old 09-24-08, 08:11 AM
Calif450h
Driver School Candidate

Default Saris Bones RS on my GS 450h

Like everyone says. Works like a charm. Using my G-tech computer, I did 3 timed 0-60mph run of 5.0sec. with the rack and my bike on the back. Under the right charge conditions without my bike, I've done a 4.8sec. It's fun smokin' other cars while carrying a bike on back, then watching their faces in my rearview. Of course, I don't recommend doing this regularly. I just wanted to see what it could do and I'm a speed jerk driver (a-hole, actually). NO damage to my spoiler after dozens of loading on-off. I put the rack on before every ride, and take it off after. I live in the foothills above Pasadena and I ride 2 to 3x per week. No wear on the paint (no, my pedal doesn't ever touch my bumper as might appear in the pic), but I use a lint free cloth to gently clean all contact areas of the car before I rack it. I chose to place the foot pads underneath my spoiler instead the other photo that shows it as one pad on top and the other below. I tried both. Personally, I find the below spoiler mount to provide a much more solid mount. Although Saris doesn't officially say that this works on a GS because of the spoiler, it obviously does. My bike shop and I spoke with the Saris factory and they also suggested to mount both pads below the spoiler. You don't need to cinch those trunk straps very tight to hold it all solid as a rock. I can see that if you over-cinch them, it could tweak your spoiler after lots of uses.
Attached Thumbnails Bike Ski Cargo Rack Options Discussion (merged threads)-aaa_pict1654.jpg  

Last edited by Calif450h; 09-24-08 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-24-08, 09:43 AM
Calif450h
Driver School Candidate

Default gs350 and gs450h bike rack

Bones RS works like a charm. Using my G-tech computer, I did 3 timed 0-60mph run of 5.0sec. with the rack and my bike on the back. Without my bike, under the right fully charges conditions, I've clocked regular 4.8sec. But it's fun smokin' other cars while carrying a bike on back, then watching their faces in my rear view mirror. Of course, I don't recommend doing this regularly. I just wanted to see what it could do and I'm a speed freak jerk driver (a-hole, actually). NO damage to my spoiler after dozens of loading on-off. I put the rack on before every ride, and take it off after. I live in the foothills above Pasadena and I ride 2 to 3x per week. No wear on the paint (no, my pedal doesn't ever touch my bumper as might appear in the pic), but I use a lint free cloth to gently clean all contact areas of the car before I rack it. I place the foot pads underneath my spoiler instead of one pad on top and the other below. I tried both. Personally, I find the below spoiler mount to provide a much more solid mount. Although Saris doesn't officially say that this works on a GS because of the spoiler, it obviously does. My bike shop and I spoke with the Saris factory and they also suggested to mount both pads below the spoiler. You don't need to cinch those trunk straps very tight to hold it all solid as a rock. I can see that if you over-cinch them, it could tweak your spoiler after lots of uses.
Attached Thumbnails Bike Ski Cargo Rack Options Discussion (merged threads)-aaa_pict1654.jpg  
Old 02-07-09, 12:21 PM
HIgrnride
Driver School Candidate

Default Bike Rack for Lexus 450H

I've been searching for a good trunk mount bike rack option for my Lexus 450H. I searched the forums, the Lexus website, blogs, product websites but wasn't able to find any good recommendation so I took the search to the retailers in town.

After trying on a number of options including roof mounts and trailer hitch mounts, I found the Saris Bones 2 to be a good solution: http://www.saris.com/p-300-bones-2-bike.aspx

Here's what it looks like installed. '

Here's my decision criteria:
  1. Light and Short Rack
  2. Removable
  3. Room for 2 bikes
  4. Storable in the 450H trunk

Note: I ride a men's Cannondale road bike (I'm told there may be trouble using this for a women's or child's bike)

Tip: I secure the straps and hooks to the trunk when open. I then lightly close the trunk to allow the automatic latch to engage. At that point I push and hold down on the trunk for few seconds. If you don't do this final step the latch will engage then may release.

I'm posting for your convenience. Good luck and keep on riding!
Old 02-10-09, 12:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

thx for sharing. you are brave using a bike rack on your 450h. personally i would never attach a bike rack - too much risk of getting scratches and what not.
Old 02-10-09, 03:00 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, listen to stormforge. Be very careful with the where the clips attach to the trunk and also where the legs touch the top of the trunk and top of the bumper. I had a Saris Bones on my old Honda Accord with a spoiler and all those points got scratched up...

I recommend you apply some felt or something similar to all the contact points on the bikerack to minimize scratching and make sure to only use it on a clean car so any dirt between the contact points doesnt scratch your paint.
Old 02-19-09, 11:59 PM
SeattleWRX

It's now 2009 and I still can't source a rack for the GS. I'm thinking of getting an 09, but if I can't fit snowboards, it's a deal breaker.

ANY UPDATES?

Quick Reply: Bike Ski Cargo Rack Options Discussion (merged threads)