GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levinson sub rattle?? could it be blown???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 11:30 AM
Dan L.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap fix for subwoofer distortion

I noticed that the distortion from the ML sub in the rear of my 03 GX was gradually getting worse -- especially noticeable with audio containing deep bass as others have reported. After removing the sub unit, the root cause was obvious: the speaker outer foam edge (which looked like it was made from a small band of heavy paper) was coming off the speaker frame where it was originally glued. The worst section looked like there was paper deterioration (small cracking along the circumference) rather than a glue adhesion failure.

So I tried a fix recommended on another forum: hot glue gun. I ran a ~1/8" bead from a hot glue gun between the edge of the speaker foam and the speaker frame, keeping as close to the speaker frame inside edge as possible. The glue nicely flowed and settled between the inside frame edge and the speaker foam outer edge, forming a neat clear bond fill between the two. It was very easy and fully cured in a few minutes.

Result: Distortion is 100% gone and sound is as good as new. Longevity of fix is unknown but it may prove to be better than new. Time will tell and I will post again if any problem or failure crops up.

Dan
Old 04-02-12, 11:46 AM
Krstobond
Rookie

Damn I get compliments from people who hear the ml sound in my GS. My friend has a 7 series, he says he radio in no where near to the MP sound system.
Old 04-02-12, 11:48 AM
Chexation
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan L.
I noticed that the distortion from the ML sub in the rear of my 03 GX was gradually getting worse....So I tried a fix recommended on another forum: hot glue gun....

That's a good, quick fix, Dan. But, the rest of that paper/foam is also in the process of deteriorating. I feel it is better to replace it with the new stuff that you can find at the location I posted earlier.

Since that time that I fixed my driver door speaker, now the same passenger door speaker has failed. I'd imagine it is only a matter of time that the rest of them deteriorate. This really should not be happening on an 8-year old speaker system. Esp an upgraded system like ML. Very disappointing.

SIMPLY SPEAKERS - (727) 571-1245. They have the exact fit for your speakers. My purchase order says: LEXUS, MARK LEVINSON 6"X9" FOAM AUTO SPEAKER REPAIR KIT FSK-6X9.

There are other places that sell this same product as well if you do a quick search.
Old 04-02-12, 12:06 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan L.
So I tried a fix recommended on another forum: hot glue gun. I ran a ~1/8" bead from a hot glue gun between the edge of the speaker foam and the speaker frame, keeping as close to the speaker frame inside edge as possible. The glue nicely flowed and settled between the inside frame edge and the speaker foam outer edge, forming a neat clear bond fill between the two. It was very easy and fully cured in a few minutes.
I might try this. Thanks.
Old 04-03-12, 03:43 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

I have an ML system and have noticed that the sub only rattles when the car sits out in the hot sun for a long period of time.
Old 05-01-13, 03:41 PM
sawnzo1212
Rookie

mine seems to be doing the same thing...funny thing is that I just noticed it when getting it back from the shop and saw that the bass, mid and treble setting was turned all the way up...I THINK THEY BLEW THE SUB!!! I had the same issue with some aftermarket kickers and did the hot glue thing and yes...they are only a temporary fix because the material around the glue will also fail eventually...it really sucks when you take your car in to get worked with and you realize someone is messing with your sound settings and most likely blasting your stereo....PISSED!! lol
Old 05-01-13, 04:57 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bayareaboy
Hello all,

I just purchased an '08 350 w/ ML. Ive noticed that at high volumes on songs with significant bass (hip hop) a rattling/distorted noise comes from the sub. But at lower volumes it hits perfectly fine. Is this normal??? Is my sub blown?? I have the lexus extended warranty. Thanks!! Any info would be appreciated!
Nope sounds blown, I've blown my ML when I had my 3GS and I can say the highest volume you can go is 25 cause of the auto volume that raises the volume based on sound in car. Just bring it in and let them know you are hearing a rattle in the in the sub woofer.
Old 05-01-13, 06:53 PM
zinn
Driver School Candidate

My ML sounds great, but at high volumes and low bass It will rattle. Just turn it down a little. lol.
Old 05-02-13, 03:53 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine rattles as well. I took it to the dealer the other day and they indicated it sounded fine. I'll try another dealer.
Old 08-11-19, 03:11 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced my Sub foam with SimplySpeakers foam. My 2006 is 14 years old, considering it came out in mid-2005, and all the foam is shot. This was a simple solution.Going to replace all four door speaker foam next.
Old 08-13-19, 06:04 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone ever removed the subwoofer grill cover on the rear deck? Does is snap in with clips like the center speaker grill? My fabric is loose and I need to tighten it up but I'm afraid to pull up on it if it has screws.
Old 12-30-19, 11:23 AM
Broncosi
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drgerry
Has anyone ever removed the subwoofer grill cover on the rear deck? Does is snap in with clips like the center speaker grill? My fabric is loose and I need to tighten it up but I'm afraid to pull up on it if it has screws.
I’ve seen two versions. One where you have to disassemble the entire rear deck to access it and then mine which the speaker grill (w/fabric) just pops up. I have a 2007 with the ML system if that makes a difference.