GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Quiet tires for GS350 "finally found them!"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 08:39 PM
soonerlaw1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Quiet tires for GS350 "finally found them!"

Long story....short version. Got my gs 350 2007 w low miles. HUGE LET DOWN AFTER REalizing the YOKOHAMA TIRES ROAR!!!
I am female and want luxury ride, not sports car feel.
My sales person WOULD grab other cars when he noticed since he knew I wanted quiet tires ASAP
I HAVE TRIED:
Michelin. Primacy. Serenity. Touring etc
I got a call last week to drive one they traded for. It had 1/2 tread on something I never have even seen this brand called "Kumho!!! " All I know, is I have found THE QUIET TIRE!!! I ordered them at Sears.
Oh my gosh. If you want quiet "for real". Smooth!
I got Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum 2107193 - 245/40R18
For my 2007 GS 350

The Yokohama on my 350 roar!!! But i can turn a corner at 40mph with no issues; LOL
* IF someone likes the YOKOHAMA ; Message me. You can pay the freight and have them for free. The back two have half tread.....The front are not worth using. (the front is pretty worn)
I guess for "racing" sports car feel...then Yokohama is why it was rated great???

I actually would have returned my car but could not in Oklahoma w out an insurance $250 return policy. My GS 350 is in such mint condition and super low miles but i was so angry about the loudness that i thought my sanity was going because i am in my car at least 2 hours per day
SO NOW IT'S ALL PERFECT!

So, if you truly want a quiet tire. I have tested and looked and waited for 7 months.
My Lexus dealer, although DID NOT assist in helping me "buy" my new tires...THEY DID go beyond by calling me every time a GS 350 was in with an alternative tire so I could run up and drive it.
I had finally decided on the Michelin PS2 primacy UNTIL I drove the 350 last week with the Kunmho ECSTA LX platinum.

(note: in my research, I don't need a heavy snow tire .....so, you might reaerch the KuMHO SNOW PERFORMANCE IF YOU NEED THAT

The car handled very luxury feel. After researching it. I was shocked of all the cars that they are on! Mercedes , BMW 5 , Infinitic Cadillac cts and Lincoln.
Here is a link. Hope this helps anyone who cannot find "quiet tires"

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...oRedirect=true
Old 02-12-12, 08:59 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

im sure once your tires get down to where your old tires were at they will be loud as well... Just a thought
Old 02-12-12, 09:18 PM
soonerlaw1
Driver School Candidate

Talking RE; QUIET tires for gs350

Originally Posted by Twidge
im sure once your tires get down to where your old tires were at they will be loud as well... Just a thought
hi.....thanks so much for all the feed back too.....
I think that is why it took me FOREVER to find or make a decision......THE GS350 that I ran up and drove at the dealership with the Kuhmo.....they were able to see that they had about 50% tread left and the car fax showed they had been put on apron 19,000 miles ago

SO, if i can get at least 25,000 miles for $787.00 and this quiet, I can totally live with it.

this experience has been totally frustrating.....the care i drove with the khumo's on them, was so quiet BUT, comparing to these yokohama's that i have, I mean they roar so bad that this last 7 months, i have totally gone "mad" and we have been with our lexus dealership for over a decade....so they have been letting me drive any gs350 they get that has different tires So, i could KNOW what to even buy.....
the faulkens I think were only loud to me because the one i drove prob only had 25% tread left.
they were gorgeous tho. : )

oh well, long RIDE....HAPPY for now.....it is SO nice being in my car, making my sales appt's and being able to HEAR and FEEL SANE AGAIN
Old 02-13-12, 12:25 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well all you had to do is ask here what is a good quiet tire, Michellin Pilot Sport A/S, Yokohoma Advin Envigor Currently on my car and Continental ExtremeContact DWS any one of these tires would of given you EXACTLY what you want with better warranty and handling. Check the ratings on these tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ype=bestseller
Old 02-13-12, 12:36 AM
soonerlaw1
Driver School Candidate

Default Re; which tires are the absolute quietest

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Well all you had to do is ask here what is a good quiet tire, Michellin Pilot Sport A/S, Yokohoma Advin Envigor Currently on my car and Continental ExtremeContact DWS any one of these tires would of given you EXACTLY what you want with better warranty and handling. Check the ratings on these tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ype=bestseller
Hi. I still have 5 more days to change if I want.... Which ones are the quietest? We have no more than 2x a year of snow/ice. So I really don't need that factored in.
Would you change? These were so quiet on my same year and car that it was stunning. My number one is quiet over performance. I want a total luxury ride. What do you think?
Old 02-13-12, 12:44 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Don't get the dws'. I have them on my car and tread wear isn't great, the s is worn off (well there's a slight hint of it still) and they are loud! Handle great in wet and dry but loud and only ride ok as a every day drive tire. Ive had great luck with Toyo's so I'm going that route.
Old 02-13-12, 01:25 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerlaw1
Hi. I still have 5 more days to change if I want.... Which ones are the quietest? We have no more than 2x a year of snow/ice. So I really don't need that factored in.
Would you change? These were so quiet on my same year and car that it was stunning. My number one is quiet over performance. I want a total luxury ride. What do you think?
Well i personally owned both michelin and yokohomas that i have stated above. They both are great quiet riding tires. People on ALL of forums SWEAR on the DWS that they are quiet,very great in snow and rain, good thread wear and just highly recomended. If I was to suggest and not to break the bank, go with the DWS thats my next set of tires that I am getting. They are fairly cheap also . But not to have a headache with it, just stick with what you have and consider my suggestion when you will need new tires. I wouldn't change tires that are perfectly fine and fit my need. Not sure why you payed that much for 4 tires?

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 02-13-12 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 07:17 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have the Kumho's. I got 36k out of the original Michelin Primacy's, and had no complaints. I planned on replacing them with the same, until I researched their cost. I ultimately narrowed it down to the Kumho's and the DWS. I've since put almost 4k on the Kumho's, and have no real issues. I realized going in I was going to lose some handling prowess after the Michelins, but the cost, quietness, and potential long wear of the Kumho's were the deciding factors. BTW, I rotate tires every 5k.
Old 02-13-12, 10:59 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 3,000 miles on the same Kuhmos and agree they are a terrific. Very low noise, handle well AND do well on wet pavement. I just placed a set on two other cars. Beauty of the Kuhmo's is they are also affordable in comparison to equivalent Michie's, Conti's, Yokos, etc.
FYI...anyone unsure what kind of tire to buy, take a look at the car of the owner of the shop you're going to purchase from. That's a good barometer regarding which tire you should buy. Not necessarily the answer but if the car is in the same class as yours,...
Old 02-13-12, 11:07 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on DWS.
Old 02-14-12, 06:38 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ausiecar
Don't get the dws'. I have them on my car and tread wear isn't great, the s is worn off (well there's a slight hint of it still) and they are loud! Handle great in wet and dry but loud and only ride ok as a every day drive tire. Ive had great luck with Toyo's so I'm going that route.
I have to disagree 100%. I've had the DWS now for almost two months and couldn't be happier. They are smooth as glass and super quiet, plus they soak up road imperfections and expansion joints better than the Michelins I had on my car before these. I can't comment on treadwear yet but other than that I am completely impressed so far.
Old 02-20-12, 05:35 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Bridgestone Serenity.......great quiet tire.

Had them on my Infiniti G35......now on my sexy Lexy GS 350.
Old 02-20-12, 10:04 AM
uptownboi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ironman50
Bridgestone Serenity.......great quiet tire.

Had them on my Infiniti G35......now on my sexy Lexy GS 350.
it might just be my problem...... but i think they are not as quiet as i expect they would be..... im in toronto, not too much snow but a lot of ice and sleet.... the snow/ice traction is not very promising.... but i DO agree that they are WAY BETTER than my previous set of michelin.... i'll give another brand a try next time...