GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Turn Signal too quiet (shhhhhh...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-12 | 10:13 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Boron
Sorry Travis, but I'll have to echo SRT's facetious comment - if you can't remember to cancel the signal manually, then you maybe shouldn't be driving.
Either that or turn the radio/etc off when you're performing such a manoeuvre.
Driving is not difficult, and if your attention is solely focused elsewhere in such a situation, then you need to question your ability to multitask.

Forgive me for not massaging your ego by blaming the car's design or saying "there, there", but I honestly believe you need to think hard and seriously about how you drive.

The situation as outlined, consists of......mirrors, signal, mirrors, blind spot check, manoeuvre. That's a 5-6 second process, which once you've executed, results in cancelling the indicator, with or without accelerating or braking.

Get into the habit of doing it, practice it somewhere quiet, and soon enough it'll become instinctive you won't even be aware of going through the process.
I think this comment is counter productive to what this forum is about.... The OP was just stating something that he felt was a little quirk about our cars and wanted to know if there was a way to adjust it. He didn't post here so he could be lectured about his ability/inability to multitask or whether he should even be driving. Try and keep the comments constructive and helpful, that is what I have loved about this forum and the friends I have made here.

The truth of the matter is the turn signals are very quiet and for the most part the position of the steering wheel can obstruct the indicator light.
Old 03-03-12 | 10:58 AM
Travislai
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
I think this comment is counter productive to what this forum is about.... The OP was just stating something that he felt was a little quirk about our cars and wanted to know if there was a way to adjust it. He didn't post here so he could be lectured about his ability/inability to multitask or whether he should even be driving. Try and keep the comments constructive and helpful, that is what I have loved about this forum and the friends I have made here.

The truth of the matter is the turn signals are very quiet and for the most part the position of the steering wheel can obstruct the indicator light.
Thanks 1STLXS... I appreciate the support. It's people like Boron (rhymes with ___________) who make newbs like me not want to participate in the forums. I think the time and effort it took him to sit and write that insulting reply could have been better spent on something else. I don't understand people who go out of their way to be insulting to other people. Especially when I didn't specifically ask for his help. smh...
Old 03-03-12 | 11:00 AM
Travislai
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Boron
Sorry Travis, but I'll have to echo SRT's facetious comment - if you can't remember to cancel the signal manually, then you maybe shouldn't be driving.
Either that or turn the radio/etc off when you're performing such a manoeuvre.
Driving is not difficult, and if your attention is solely focused elsewhere in such a situation, then you need to question your ability to multitask.

Forgive me for not massaging your ego by blaming the car's design or saying "there, there", but I honestly believe you need to think hard and seriously about how you drive.

The situation as outlined, consists of......mirrors, signal, mirrors, blind spot check, manoeuvre. That's a 5-6 second process, which once you've executed, results in cancelling the indicator, with or without accelerating or braking.

Get into the habit of doing it, practice it somewhere quiet, and soon enough it'll become instinctive you won't even be aware of going through the process.
Hey Bor... Moron. GFY
Old 03-03-12 | 12:43 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Oh lookee, the newbie made a funny by rhyming my name......go on, Travis, admit to us all you had to ask for help with that.
Who was it? Your mum? Or was it little sister?
Are you sure you're mature enough to use the acronym "GFY"?
Mummy mightn't be best pleased you're using such language.

I highly doubt this is the first forum you've visited, but if so, welcome to the real world - where not everyone is sycophantic, and may hold contrary opinions.
If you can't take constructive criticism, then forum participation ain't for you!
I'm not going to sugar coat things to make you feel better about yourself - I just speak my mind, and call things as I see them.

Obviously the task of controlling a two tonne wheeled box is beyond your capabilities, so hand your licence in, and employ a chauffeur.
When you have a real legitimate grievance, I'll be as sympathetic as the next guy, but this isn't such an occasion.

I hope to God your next thread won't be "someone honked at me today, and made rude gestures....because I forgot to cancel my indicators!"
Old 03-03-12 | 12:59 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
........Try and keep the comments constructive and helpful.......

So what part of suggesting the OP go practice and get into the habit of thinking a bit more about his driving was unhelpful or non-constructive?

As above, when real concerns are voiced, I'll be sympathetic and try to help, if I can - but I will NOT play at being a sycophant and blaming the manufacturer for someone's ineptitude!

It's got now, you don't need to think about turning on headlights (that's done for you), and the same for the wipers.
Then there's the "reminder" you've forgotten to put your seatbelt on!
There's another reminder you've forgotten to close your door properly!
Then there's brake assist circuitry, for those who've forgotten how to brake hard enough!
Now there's a desire to have the same short duration indication as BMW have.

For the love of God, just how much more control do you need taken away to save yourself from yourself?
Seriously, if those things are too much to contend with, take the bus or train - leave the driving to someone with the spare mental capacity to cope with such mundanity.
Old 03-03-12 | 03:51 PM
NickL
Racer

Wow Boron, you are a true moron and way to show it too!
Get so worked up over a couple of internet posts.
Old 03-03-12 | 04:17 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

K boron, and others exit the thread and stop insulting others. Seriously the guy asked a simple question u are acting like the turning signal is not leved bad ebough and quiter compare to other cars. Well here is the truth its leved horrible, the way my steering wheel is i dont see it, and with music at 10 u cant hear it. Its the truth there is nothing wrong with op. As i stated earlier if you dont have anything nice to say DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. And all the newbs with under 100 posts i will nicely ask u to read the rules again and realize what kind of forum this is.
Old 03-03-12 | 05:13 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Agree it is a bit soft. But I love driving with really low music or no music at all so the soft turn signal is great. You should try it, it's relaxing.
Old 03-04-12 | 05:58 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickL
Wow Boron, you are a true moron and way to show it too!
Get so worked up over a couple of internet posts.
Very kind of you to say so - however I'm considerably thicker skinned than to be offended by such turn of phrase.
No getting worked up, just stating a very different view from the rest here.
Old 03-04-12 | 06:32 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
......Seriously the guy asked a simple question u are acting like the turning signal is not leved bad ebough and quiter compare to other cars. Well here is the truth its leved horrible, the way my steering wheel is i dont see it, and with music at 10 u cant hear it. Its the truth there is nothing wrong with op.....

I am seriously struggling to comprehend how this is an issue.
I wish I could agree how Lexus have monumentally cocked-up in their design, but I figure since I'm the one that's in command of the vehicle, then the responsibility for operating it correctly falls upon my shoulders, not Lexus'.

In today's societies, thanks in most part to the "blame culture" of the US extending outward, people are all too quick to point the finger at someone other than themselves.
The phrase "personal responsibility" is rapidly becoming an oxymoron.

To demonstrate the stupidity of this "issue", whose responsibility is it to maintain air pressure in the tyres?
Do you blame Lexus for not putting a system in which measures the pressure in each tyre as an absolute, but compares them relatively?
In other words, short of a slow puncture, the TPMS won't be able to inform you that all 4 tyres have 3/4/5 psi less than they did a month ago, because you forgot to check them!
If you accept that that's your personal responsibility to remember to check them, then does the same not apply regarding the cancelling of the indicators when changing lanes?
Old 03-04-12 | 08:13 AM
Travislai
9th Gear

Okay, after this I'll let someone else have the last word. I just posted a simple question to the board to see if anyone knew of a solution to a minor annoyance. My last two cars had chimes that alerted me when the blinker was left on and I guess I got used to that. I didn't insult or denigrate anyone in my post or ask to be insulted. However "Moron" couldn't resist. So I feel it's my patriotic duty to help moron out a little bit. First, if you must talk about my mother it's spelled "MOM" not Mum. Mum is a type of flower. Cars ride on "TIRES" not Tyres. And weight is in "Tons", not Tonnes. While I personally have nothing against homosexuals with bad teeth, wearing tight suits and watching soccer all day (trust me, I lived over there for 5 years), I will NOT have you come on an American Forum and desecrate the language! It MUST be stopped. I'm sure there's a page for chavy, wanna-be Lexus owners like yourself... But I think you'd look a bit foolish towing your caravan with this type of luxury car. While I'm sure you, and your pikey mates have already nicked more than a few, I suggest you sort yourself out "mate" as you've already made yourself out to be a bit of a rude nutter. So have a cup of tea, turn on the tele (if youve paid your TV license) and watch an exciting 0-0 game of soccer errr, football with your slag, pikey mrs. Cheers.
Old 03-04-12 | 09:05 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Such a nice chap you are - apparently I'm a chav, with a pikey mrs (who's a slag).
I see that I'm a caravan owner, a nutter, a thief, and a homo with poor teeth, oh and wear a tight suit.

Well, now that you've pigeon-holed me to a tee, I feel it's only fair I return the complement - you're a lazy-arsed driver who needs engineers to do your thinking for you.

I'll leave discussion on your sexual preferences, dress-sense, and pearly-whites for a different forum - don't think a car-based one is quite appropriate.

Oh, btw just thought of a solution to your issue - ask your local auto-electrician to wire one of these up.
You'll never forget to cancel your indicator ever again.

Now make sure it's somewhere in plain sight, otherwise you might miss it flashing!
Old 03-04-12 | 10:05 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Okay its about time this thread gets closed.
Old 03-04-12 | 07:15 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Wow Boron, you're really a raging *******. Keep in mind you didn't have to even take the time to read the thread and respond to the guy. You could have just moved on to another thread. The guy was inquiring about an indicator. Chill out, loser.
Old 03-04-12 | 07:16 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

The word was a**h*le

Quick Reply: Turn Signal too quiet (shhhhhh...)