GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Test Drove 4GS, comparing to my 3gs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 09:49 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What lexus was always known as was offering a better car, more features and reliability for smaller price tag comparing to mb and bmw. E350 has full automatic trunk with a push of a button i was 100% sure the 4gs would of went this this way expect they didn't, and has toyota camry trunk. Someone mentioned leather dash yes its nice guees what toyota camry has it on every camry now!!!! Dont get me wrong its a nice car. its a small improvement not large enough for me to be like wow or have to trade in my 3gs for it.

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 03-14-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-14-12, 11:05 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Dont get me wrong its a nice car. its a small improvement not large enough for me to be like wow or have to trade in my 3gs for it.
I agree, the car is nice, but haven't seen it in person to give my full personal review. The biggest improvement to me is that they actually have a F-Sport line for the GS, even if they didn't beef up the engine for that model. I do know that it appears what little cars the dealers are getting, they are selling out before they get there.
Old 03-14-12, 07:24 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If what I was told at the dealership is true, at least in the short term, Lexus is doing fine re: the sale of the 4GS - probably getting close to list for it as well. As with almost all things automotive, the glamour of having the first one in the neighborhood will wane, and then people (like those here) will accurately research, analyze and decide where they want to procede with their future in the GS world. Right now, I'm completely satisfied with mine.
Old 03-14-12, 07:37 PM
mrbulk
Rookie

Sorry but I just can't get behind the new 4G. Literally. Because the rear end is so pedestrian looking. One review called it Camry-like, and there was one post here that showed pics of how it looks like an Avalon from the back. And the front end reminds me of sideways-pincher jaws from an insect, plus it's straight off the small Lexus hybrid.

I bought my 3GS for its beautifully proportioned, clean looks. Lexus hit a classic design on that one and now they are moving away from it, probably due to market pressure. But Korean market pressure? C'mon Lexus!

Although unbelievably, my service guy told me they are selling every 4G they can get! First-on-the-block mentality I guess, like someone posted above. Oh well, to each his/her own...
Old 03-14-12, 09:09 PM
Krstobond
Rookie

Well its not that appealing as the previous models
Old 03-15-12, 01:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
If what I was told at the dealership is true, at least in the short term, Lexus is doing fine re: the sale of the 4GS - probably getting close to list for it as well. As with almost all things automotive, the glamour of having the first one in the neighborhood will wane, and then people (like those here) will accurately research, analyze and decide where they want to procede with their future in the GS world. Right now, I'm completely satisfied with mine.
reading the 4gs forum, more and more people are getting the car with discounts already

regardless, 4gs is selling very well
Old 03-15-12, 04:30 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Pictures don't explain how nice the car is. I saw a red one at night in Newport, CA and it was really nice! Same with the ISF, when I saw pictures I was like it's okay. Until I saw one up close and the curves on the car.

Also who cares about power folding mirrors! Nice to have but really when do you use them.
Old 03-15-12, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by js619858
Pictures don't explain how nice the car is. I saw a red one at night in Newport, CA and it was really nice! Same with the ISF, when I saw pictures I was like it's okay. Until I saw one up close and the curves on the car.

Also who cares about power folding mirrors! Nice to have but really when do you use them.
well i guess if you live in places like nyc where parking is very tight.

for example here in ca i never see the need. on my gs350 i only did it once when i got the car new and was making sure everything worked. even on my ls460l and s550, i have only folded in the mirrors less than 5 mines combined
Old 03-15-12, 02:11 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the review.

I am waiting to see if the V8 model comes out and how it looks.

I really dont like the gimmicky looking bumpers. Looks too after market looking to me.

I also hate to be that guy that bashes the new model while owning the old one.

I am sure its a great car, but I don't like it too much. Looks too much like a Hyundai.

Even 2GS looked too era specific and a bit tacky. 1GS was and still is a gorgeous car.

So far 1GS and 3GS are the best looking ones.
Old 03-16-12, 05:39 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
well i guess if you live in places like nyc where parking is very tight.

for example here in ca i never see the need. on my gs350 i only did it once when i got the car new and was making sure everything worked. even on my ls460l and s550, i have only folded in the mirrors less than 5 mines combined
True! Never been to NY but from a CA point, there's no need but I GUESS EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.
Old 03-16-12, 11:28 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Only when I go through a carwash.
Old 03-16-12, 02:02 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I would love the paddle shifters and the rev matching on down****s. I also love the interior, but I thought my GS handled close to or as well as the F Sport since I have put all the F Sport accessories on it.
Old 03-16-12, 04:34 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well lets compare a is350 and a gs350 the difference in price about what 10-15 k both being fully loaded. The trunk sunction and automatic mirrors makes a difference between 2 cars. Its more luxury, now we can all live without the 2 i mentioned. We can even live without afs, power seats, memory seats, no auto dimming mirrors, heated or ventaled seats. But its the luxury we pay for even if we use it or not. So when i mentioned it i meant it in a way that now there is less difference between the is350 gs350. We just need to wait and see what the new is brings. You guys have to understand what i mean by this there needs to be a difference between cars not onl in a badge "is" or "gs" or room in it.
Old 03-18-12, 02:00 AM
uptownboi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickL
I think the new 4GS need to do more than handling and interior improvement for 3GS owner to switch. For me, the 4GS is better than the 3GS, no argument there. However, it's not like I take corners at 60MPH on my daily driving. There's no real new features and in some cases a step backward from the 3GS(folding mirrors and power closing trunk). A new engine and transmission would be nice with better efficiency. I was disappointed with the gas 1MPG improvement over the years. BMW 5series are doing much better fuel efficiency.
I'll wait a couple more years to see added new features and improvement on gas mileage. And maybe, they'll tweak the design especially that Hyundai-looking rear. I was behind a Sonata and couldn't help but think of how much the 4GS rear is similar.
I definitely agree with NickL.... i feel the exact same way... and the same thing runs thru my mind when i stop behind a hyundai ... i love my 3GS and i'm keeping it until something more is done on the 4GS in terms of looks, efficiency, power and new tech (real tech, not just a huge screen that makes reservations...) I'm now also very curious on how dependable/reliable is the 4GS.... im pretty sure Lexus is well known for those... but among other Lexus models, how well will it score... the ES is SUPER reliable with minimal problems for example...
Old 03-23-12, 09:37 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uptownboi
I definitely agree with NickL.... i feel the exact same way... and the same thing runs thru my mind when i stop behind a hyundai ... i love my 3GS and i'm keeping it until something more is done on the 4GS in terms of looks, efficiency, power and new tech (real tech, not just a huge screen that makes reservations...) I'm now also very curious on how dependable/reliable is the 4GS.... im pretty sure Lexus is well known for those... but among other Lexus models, how well will it score... the ES is SUPER reliable with minimal problems for example...
With the way the 4GS looks now, you might as well get the ES....which is a pretty nice looking comfortable driver. I think the current ES actually looks better than the new GS.

Now, if you want a GS class car with a sleek look, I honestly now believe that the Mercedes new sporty E-Class 2-door coupe is the way to go.

I saw a white E350 coupe pass me on the freeway and I took a good look. I really like how classy/sporty it looks.

Quick Reply: Test Drove 4GS, comparing to my 3gs.