GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Test Drove 4GS, comparing to my 3gs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 05:48 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I originally posted this on the 3GS board, but I figure I will put here as well since others seem to agree.

When the new 4GS pics first came out, I was really underwhelmed with the body style. To me, the new body style lacked the aggressive, almost masculine look that I really love about the 3GS (and even earlier generations). I felt as though I was staring at a slightly larger IS.

I thought I would warm up to the body style after I saw it in person, but I had the opportunity last week to take a close look for the first time in real life and was just as disappointed as I had been by the pictures. To me, the 4GS might as well have a Camry or Accord logo on it because I feel like it is as much of a "head-turner" as one of those middle of the road sedans.

I want to like the car, but it's just not happening for me, at least based on the outside looks.

The interior is much improved and very nice. One thing I do not like is the flat dash on the front that doesn't blend into the door panels. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints with the interior.

I have not driven it yet and it sounds like it is a great driving car, but I just don't see myself getting past the bland look of the car.
Old 03-26-12, 09:15 AM
uptownboi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dadoody
With the way the 4GS looks now, you might as well get the ES....which is a pretty nice looking comfortable driver. I think the current ES actually looks better than the new GS.

Now, if you want a GS class car with a sleek look, I honestly now believe that the Mercedes new sporty E-Class 2-door coupe is the way to go.

I saw a white E350 coupe pass me on the freeway and I took a good look. I really like how classy/sporty it looks.

I do think the E Class looks really good and really sharp, not to mention it has a supple ride and a very satisfying handling.... Mercedes and Lexus are ALWAYS my favourite brands... but I'm not the type of person that switch cars immediately right after the lease ends.... so dependability and reliability are two big factors i consider... Mercedes improved a lot in terms of those (esp. among German brands) recently but it's still no Lexus according to the reports....
Old 03-26-12, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by uptownboi
I do think the E Class looks really good and really sharp, not to mention it has a supple ride and a very satisfying handling.... Mercedes and Lexus are ALWAYS my favourite brands... but I'm not the type of person that switch cars immediately right after the lease ends.... so dependability and reliability are two big factors i consider... Mercedes improved a lot in terms of those (esp. among German brands) recently but it's still no Lexus according to the reports....
i have to be honest, if you are talking about ride and handling, the e class has nothing on the new gs. the gs drives much better imho
Old 04-01-12, 02:55 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to imaging that Lexus actually approved this FUGLY exterior body styling.
Old 04-09-12, 08:14 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supraristo
Hard to imaging that Lexus actually approved this FUGLY exterior body styling.
Well, on the bright side....at least they're not Acuras.

Since Acura went this...direction, they've been some of the ugliest cars on the road to me. KIAs and Hyundais look much better (great direction they've taken).

Old 08-29-12, 08:49 PM
ljdarby
Driver School Candidate

Have driven the 2013 GS350 and GS350F BOTH twice, about three weeks apart, figuring the three week break would cause me to change my mind about the front end styling and the vanilla-style back end lack of styling. I walked away unimpressed ONLY about the styling.

The test drives revealed a fantastic looking interior with advanced electronics (DVD/CD screens impressive and will run apps from your phone). More roomy, particularly in rear seating, better handling. Missing trunk automatic closure is a disappointment, as is the lack of collapsible outside mirrors.

Overall, I cannot fall in love with front and rear-end changes. With that in mind, while my 2008 GS350 was having its top surface drip rails replaced due to extensive peeling, I bought a CPO 2011 GS350 with 11,600 miles on it, previously leased by one of the salespeople. The 2011 has 18 inch wheels and I think that this is a ride-improvement over my old 17 inchers.
Old 08-29-12, 09:03 PM
SLOW4DR
Pole Position

I must be one of the few that actually like the exterior of the 4gs f sport lol
Old 08-30-12, 02:14 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW4DR
I must be one of the few that actually like the exterior of the 4gs f sport lol
Nope, plenty of 4GS owner in 4GS forum rave about it.
I still dont like the exterior. I havent driven the car so I cant comment on it. Until a V8 version comes out I doubt I'll be interested. Either way the design is easily forgettable.
Old 08-30-12, 05:04 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I eyeballed the trunk of a 4gs in the showroom and it didn't really seem that much bigger at least by eye, it kind of still suffers from the odd shape syndrome because of the way the wheel wells dig so much into the trunk space.

But yeah, it's really the small opening that kills the trunk on the 3GS, a lot of the time any kind of larger item I'm forced to cram into the back seat using bags and coats and stuff to try to protect the seats etc.
Old 08-30-12, 07:31 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3GS looks better... 4GS drives better.

AWD on both = monster truck

The 4 door coupe style is gone from the 4GS, making the 3GS feel more upmarket... like an Audi A7 or Jaguar XF.

4GS looks like an Avalon spent an afternoon at TRD.

The 4GS front end is a perfect butterface example. So hideous.

VS...

winning \/

NO comparison.

Last edited by Simmsled; 08-30-12 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-30-12, 11:21 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

The 4GS is a good looking car IMO, saw a few on the road and parking lot, the car really stands out and looks very futuristic. The front end is by far from ugly in person, it's very nice with the details and the overall look. But at the same time I feel like it has lost that "classy" look that the 3GS had (the flowing roof line for example...) and has turned into more of a boy racer look which I guess is what they are hoping for with the new direction Lexus is going.
Old 08-30-12, 01:39 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TC, I'll agree with you on the regular 4GS, but the F-Sport front end is simply poop.