GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Test Drove 4GS, comparing to my 3gs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 09:32 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Test Drove 4GS, comparing to my 3gs.

Well hello fellow members, today I wen't down to lexus to drive the new 2013 GS350 AWD luxury package. I loved the interior, the best part was the steering wheel. It felt smaller but at the same time so right for the car. I was pretty shocked to realize the car downgraded in 2 major areas that I love and impress others with. 1 being the automatic closing mirrors with push of a button, and 2 the suction trunk. I can live with a cheap trunk closure, but without automatic mirrors that really sucks. A new car suppose to be everything previous was PLUS more. In this case 2 things they left out. Well anyways continue to the test drive, first sitting in the car felt great, seats feel right as it also does in my 3GS. The steering wheel is a lot better in the new model. I got to take a few turns and rev the engine all the way, With Sport + I only noticed stiifer steering wheel no suspension change at all. Keep in mind I did take it on twisty roads and honestly what the 4GS did I can easily do it with my 3GS. It also can be I am used to my car and I can really push it to the limit where the 4GS i am not. Again I might be wrong but this is how I feel. The great engine sound comes at around 4.500 rpm and it sounds great. Better then the 3GS but not better then 3GS with a K&N intake. We drove on the highway going about 80+ with sunroof open and it was easy to hold a normal noise level conversation with the sales person. It feels like it gained more interior room which is great. Overall if the car had 2 of the features I listed that it does not have now I still wouldn't buy it. Its an improvement comparing to 3GS, but its not such a huge improvement as I have thought and defiantly not enough for me to go right ahead and trade my 3GS for. Maybe 2-3 years down the line I will upgrade, but for now I love my 2007 GS350. Also the screen is awesome, the layout of all the shortcuts felt fine, but at the same time too much of them are there and it was hard to navigate while driving. I am pretty sure once you get used to it, it will be great.
Old 03-13-12, 08:15 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How was the trunk space overall? One of my biggest disappointments with the 3GS is the lack of trunk space. Even more, the opening of the trunk. I guess a small trunk wouldn't be so bad, but at least give me a large enough opening to put something in. What about the hump in the middle of the back seat? Is it as big as the 3GS model? I found that to be a little limiting as far as passenger space personally, but I don't sit in the back and my kids are small so not that big of a deal for me.

I understand certain features would be more important to people, which is subject to opinion, but honestly, I think the folding mirror option would only be helpful for people that live in the bigger cities. Folding mirrors with street parking would probably be a necessity. Either that or for fitting in tight garage spaces. On the other hand, I think the suction trunk is awesome and sad to not see it on the 4GS. Having the suction option is great when your hands are full with the kids and all of their stuff. Needless to say, its not something that would sway my decision to purchase the car.

Overall good to hear some reviews from current 3GS owners. I'm looking forward to reading more and testing it out for myself, especially if I'm interested in upgrading to the 4GS in the future..
Old 03-13-12, 09:59 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Trunk space is bigger, Overall the car is an improvement over the 3GS, but not a huge improvement as I thought it would be.
Old 03-13-12, 11:26 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate the review and comments. I took my 3GS in for warranty work last week, and was told the dealership had received three of the new 4GS models, but they were almost immediately sold. I was also told the new ones are almost 'rationed' to dealers at the present time, and my dealership didn't know when more would be arriving. Personally It doesn't really matter to me, as I'm more than satisfied with my 3GS. Also, I was told SGM would not be a color available on the new ones, and it's really the only color I would want.
Old 03-13-12, 12:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcook700
How was the trunk space overall? One of my biggest disappointments with the 3GS is the lack of trunk space. Even more, the opening of the trunk. I guess a small trunk wouldn't be so bad, but at least give me a large enough opening to put something in. What about the hump in the middle of the back seat? Is it as big as the 3GS model? I found that to be a little limiting as far as passenger space personally, but I don't sit in the back and my kids are small so not that big of a deal for me.

I understand certain features would be more important to people, which is subject to opinion, but honestly, I think the folding mirror option would only be helpful for people that live in the bigger cities. Folding mirrors with street parking would probably be a necessity. Either that or for fitting in tight garage spaces. On the other hand, I think the suction trunk is awesome and sad to not see it on the 4GS. Having the suction option is great when your hands are full with the kids and all of their stuff. Needless to say, its not something that would sway my decision to purchase the car.

Overall good to hear some reviews from current 3GS owners. I'm looking forward to reading more and testing it out for myself, especially if I'm interested in upgrading to the 4GS in the future..
trunk size is vastly improved and the opening (i agree it's important) is bigger too, great on that.

rear cabin space is also improved / increased. the center hump is about the same, just about the same on all lexus rwd cars
Old 03-13-12, 01:17 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Overall I think the 4GS had the interior as its selling point but honestly I think they may do what they did to the 3GS and come out with upgraded options and what people expected, if not I hope so.
Old 03-13-12, 01:23 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Oh forget to mention, the brakes felt really good just like bmw.
Old 03-13-12, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
A new car suppose to be everything previous was PLUS more. In this case 2 things they left out.
A little trick they do is offer more options down the line, change packages etc..

that way they can say "new for this model year" + body changes
Old 03-13-12, 04:39 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Well power folding mirror and sunction trunk was in the 3gs from first years. They want us 3gser's to switch we need more, at least in my case.
Old 03-13-12, 05:48 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they improved on the handling by a LOT. But I drove the F-Sport with Sport+ engaged and it was amazing. Very crisp and smooth turning. Definitely a huge improvement compared to the stock GS350.
Old 03-13-12, 11:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mesca
I think they improved on the handling by a LOT. But I drove the F-Sport with Sport+ engaged and it was amazing. Very crisp and smooth turning. Definitely a huge improvement compared to the stock GS350.
doesn't matter. regular gs with luxury package and fsport both have the same suspension. fsport has extra 19" and bigger brakes. the handling of 4gs exceeds that of 3gs by big margin. i was able to notice that on my test drive
Old 03-14-12, 01:43 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think about the looks?

The interior is pretty sweet....but the exterior isn't doing it for me. Looks kinda like a Toyota Avalon now.

If the GS is supposed to be the Sporty lil bro LS, they should add some functional accents like Maserati does. Something to make it unique and sporty, or else, people will just opt for the lower priced ES.....which honestly are pretty darn good cars now. Very roomy to boot.

Last edited by dadoody; 03-14-12 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-14-12, 07:28 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 252 Posts

I think the new 4GS need to do more than handling and interior improvement for 3GS owner to switch. For me, the 4GS is better than the 3GS, no argument there. However, it's not like I take corners at 60MPH on my daily driving. There's no real new features and in some cases a step backward from the 3GS(folding mirrors and power closing trunk). A new engine and transmission would be nice with better efficiency. I was disappointed with the gas 1MPG improvement over the years. BMW 5series are doing much better fuel efficiency.
I'll wait a couple more years to see added new features and improvement on gas mileage. And maybe, they'll tweak the design especially that Hyundai-looking rear. I was behind a Sonata and couldn't help but think of how much the 4GS rear is similar.
Old 03-14-12, 08:22 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Well honestly the 4GS can really corner a lot better than my current 3GS this thing is planted, again I drove the F-Sport with rear steer. I loved the way it drove but for Lexus to not be selling a V8, than they should have made a newer engine with more HP for the F-Sport. Handling and interior went forward its a dramatic change. I cant get over why they would take away the power folding option and the soft close trunk, whats there basis for terminating those from the cars.
Old 03-14-12, 08:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Well honestly the 4GS can really corner a lot better than my current 3GS this thing is planted, again I drove the F-Sport with rear steer. I loved the way it drove but for Lexus to not be selling a V8, than they should have made a newer engine with more HP for the F-Sport. Handling and interior went forward its a dramatic change. I cant get over why they would take away the power folding option and the soft close trunk, whats there basis for terminating those from the cars.
cost cutting. every small cost might seem small, but they add up. same with foglights on fsport, and some other things here and there.

Quick Reply: Test Drove 4GS, comparing to my 3gs.