GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

About to purchase a gs350 until...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 11:15 PM
ahmer9800
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to purchase a gs350 until...

I logged in for the first time after 3 years and went to see what people on the forums would complain about the gs350, so far I haven't found much.

Except the rattles.

Is it really that bad?

I'm selling my Infiniti G35 coupe because the rattling is driving me nuts. Rattles from sunroof, Dash board, its a nightmare. I'm tired of blasting my music just to be able to drive the damn car. I
don't want to financE and make payments on a gs350 if the rattling is this severe or this common. Is there a fix?

1. What are common problems with these cars?
2. Which year 3GS is best? (after creeping around the forums I see it's 08?)
3. Any major and expensive problems that this car has?
Old 03-27-12, 03:38 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

my car never rattled that bad. i only heard that rattling if i hit a bump. on smooth roads there was no rattle. i took it to lexus to get it fixed and it was fine ever since. but to answer your question, yes they pretty much all rattle do to a bad design. to the extent on which they rattle, its all subjective to the car.
Old 03-27-12, 04:29 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I fixed most of the rattles myself. I stuffed felt in 2 places between the windshield and the dash and that took care of 99% of all rattles I had.
Most rattles can be fixed by you, if your not afraid of working on the car a bit.
Old 03-27-12, 05:44 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never had rattles until last week. I normally slow to a crawl when going over speed bumps. I didn't see one and drovw over it at higher speed. Shook the car pretty good.
I had slight rattles for 2 days but it's back to normal now.
Old 03-27-12, 06:08 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I picked up my used GS, I was shocked to hear all the dashboard rattles on a $50K+ car. When going through local bumpy roads, I thought I was in a forest full of crickets. However, I have not done any of the DIY fixes but I hope it's an easy fix. On smooth roads, it's all good. If that's the only thing holding you back (and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and getting to know your car, don't let the creaks stop you, imo. It might take some investigative and trial and error to locate where the creaks are coming from but overall, the GS is a great car/buy

Edwin
Old 03-27-12, 09:15 AM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

Dont worry. The Lexus will feel like a Rolls Royce compared to your Infiniti. The build and material quality for Nissan is so lackluster, I can understand your fear of the Lexus repeating this. It won't and the rattles aren't what you are thinking.
Old 03-27-12, 09:26 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ghd8989
Dont worry. The Lexus will feel like a Rolls Royce compared to your Infiniti. The build and material quality for Nissan is so lackluster, I can understand your fear of the Lexus repeating this. It won't and the rattles aren't what you are thinking.

Right on. Friend just picked up a new G37x Sport and its not as nice as my 6 year old GS. Some of the buttons look very dated, and materials are just as nice. Pretty fast and nimble car thou.
Old 03-27-12, 09:48 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap, the rattles in that video would make me take the car into the ditch. I had and i think i still have some minor rattles left. I tackled most of them my self. It only rattles when temperature is about 36f so if u live in a warmer climate you will be good.
Old 03-27-12, 12:21 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Holy crap, the rattles in that video would make me take the car into the ditch. I had and i think i still have some minor rattles left. I tackled most of them my self. It only rattles when temperature is about 36f so if u live in a warmer climate you will be good.
I totally agree. I bought mine new in '07, live in the desert, and have had no rattles with the exception of the small panel behind the driver's inside door handle. Lexus fixed it in about 10 minutes, and that was that. I haven't driven the car in temps much below 40 degrees, and from what I've read, it's in the colder climes where the rattles manifest themselves.
Old 03-27-12, 12:34 PM
rcsail
Driver School Candidate

Hi ahmer
I have 08 GS 350 with 50+ k miles and remain a happy owner and driver. Prior was 99 ES300 with 140 K miles. I looked at and was within $200 to purchase 09 GS37X.(fortunate dealer let me walk for $200) Loved the mechanical and electronics in the G 37 but the ride comfort, ride and road noise was show stopper. Did lots of reviewing prior to purchase and brought prior year 08 GS new with substantial discount. I have had usual rattle in dash and windshield which dealer corrected. Also front brake squell which dealer also corrected at some 26K miles with new pads/rotors. Brake squell is back at the 50 K mile.
Other issue was recall for the valve springs which were replaced by dealer and Lexus provided me 100K power train warranty for time and trouble with that recall. Engine continues with some additional noise which is attributed to the injectors.
If buying used GS 350 I would suggest review of Carfax or Lexus service records to confirm the TSB
items of dash, windshield and brakes were corrected; as well as the recall for the valve springs.
Old 03-27-12, 05:19 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I have rattles but nothing like in the video. They are annoying, will probably keep me from buying another Lexus but they are not horrible.
Old 03-27-12, 05:41 PM
Harlemboi
Driver

Talking

I must of got a good one cuz I have yet to hear any rattles!! Atleast not yet, hope it stays that way
Old 03-27-12, 06:07 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Mine wasnt that bad but when I went over bumps, it would sound just like that and it drove me crazy, the dealership fixed all the rattles but felting on the points that made noise and I havent complined ever since.
Old 03-28-12, 04:44 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

thank god i got NO rattles!that sounds horrible! i got no rattles. my car is dropped and i have a MASSIVE 12" speaker in the trunk! lol pushing a little over 1000w ms and no rattles. just test drive first! lol
Old 03-28-12, 06:05 AM
ahmer9800
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I'm living in outskirts of Houston, suburbs, so the roads aren't bad and the weather is always warm.I know Lexus are amazingd cars, but I'm quite afraid because a crappy road for an Infiniti g35 isn't the same for a Lexus. My car creeks and rattles on smoothe neighborhood roads, so I'm very afraid the Lexus might do that too, although I'm 99% sure it won't.

-------------------

Any major and expensive problems that this car has? What repair costs have you guys encountered in the Lexus GS since youve owned it? I bought my04 Infiniti back in 2010, I've spent over 1.2 grand in repairs. I'm tired of it.

What year Lexus GS do you guys recommend? Which will give me the least amount of problems, repair wise.

When I start looking to buy a new GS, what should I look for? (any mechanical issues that are easily noticeable or any repairs that have been done, since not everything is on Carfax and not everyone gets their car serviced at Lexus)

Last edited by ahmer9800; 03-28-12 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: About to purchase a gs350 until...