GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Breaks still squealing/squeaking after brake job.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 01:49 AM
Ls1danny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaks still squealing/squeaking after brake job.

So the lady's GS350 was squeaking and finally got around to ordering the parts. Used orileys Wagner thermo quiet front pads and new rotors. For a few days the annoying sound finally clears up and all is good even did an oil change. Then she tell me the squeaking is back, I'm thinking wtf, I drove the car today and it's a high pitch and intermittent, if I just let off and keep playing with the brake it'll go away. Sounded like it was coming more from the front driver side.
Now I had read about the brakes on these cara before buying parts and I hear the shims are an issue. I figured since I was getting new parts that wouldn't matter since new shims come on the new pads.

What I'm I doing wrong here guys, trust me this is embressing pulling up to other cars with a high pitched squeal.lol

07 GS350 btw and I had called the Lexus dealer before getting parts to see if it had a recall or if anything in regards to brake shims was ever done with a Lexus dealer, and they said no.
Old 03-28-12, 06:42 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

did you put anti-squeal lubricant on the back of the shims?
Old 03-28-12, 07:26 AM
Ls1danny
Driver School Candidate

Yes. This sux.
I'm wondering if I need to buy oem shims.
Old 03-28-12, 07:27 AM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket pads and rotors or all oem part?
Old 03-28-12, 08:18 AM
Ls1danny
Driver School Candidate

Aftermarket from orileys/kragen
Rotors are suppose to be oem quality but we all know how that goes.
Old 03-28-12, 08:21 AM
Ls1danny
Driver School Candidate

But I've never had any issues with aftermarket brakes on any car, I had an LS400 with no issues after a brake job. But these brakes are different.
Old 03-28-12, 09:13 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock13
did you put anti-squeal lubricant on the back of the shims?
I'll second this. When my front brakes started squealing at very low speeds w/breaks applied, I bought 2 packets of that lubricant, pulled the pads out and lubricated $hiit out of them: between the pad and the shim, the pad and the caliper, etc. The squealing stopped completely. Total investment: $1.29x2, and it took me about 40 minutes in my garage.
Old 03-28-12, 09:52 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah put more anti-squel lubricant in back of the shims.

IF that still doesnt work, get a new shim & new OEM pads.

personally i won't buy brake parts from kragen / orileys for my 3GS, stick with OEM.
Old 03-28-12, 11:03 AM
OH-MAN
Driver

I end up using the factory shims, they have a coating on them that seems to be the only way to keep them from squeeking.
They are not cheep but they work.
I wish I knew what the coating/plastic/polymer is.
It would be a lot easier to use that stuff when the factory stuff wears through.
Old 03-29-12, 11:42 PM
Ls1danny
Driver School Candidate

Looking up a configuration diagram of the brake system, it seems like oem has 2 shims per side?
I took the brakes apart and put alot of lubricant. And I noticed that one of the shims (aftermarket brake shims) had a broken tab, didn't look like it would affect anything but who knows.
The car doesn't have 2 shims per side like I saw in the diagram, even the DIY thread shows 4 thin shims laid out when doing the brake job.
I just finished it up but didn't get a chance to test drive it I'll have to do it tomorrow after work.
What's the deal with these brakes? Can only oem brakes and shims be used for no noise?
And if I were to get oem brakes would they come with the shim kit or do I have to get those separate? Or should I order the oem shims and try with these pads I bought?
I'm lost lol

Last edited by Ls1danny; 03-30-12 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-30-12, 12:37 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1danny
Looking up a configuration diagram of the brake system, it seems like oem has 2 shims per side?
I took the brakes apart and put alot of lubricant. And I noticed that one of the shims (aftermarket brake shims) had a broken tab, didn't look like it would affect anything but who knows.
The car doesn't have 2 shims per side like I saw in the diagram, even the DIY thread shows 4 thin shims laid out when doing the brake job.
I just finished it up but didn't get a chance to test drive it I'll have to do it tomorrow after work.
What's the deal with these brakes? Can only oem brakes and shims be used for no noise?
And if I were to get oem brakes would they come with the shim kit or do I have to get those separate? Or should I order the oem shims and try with these pads I bought?
I'm lost lol
Well here how it was with me, I had original dusty pads on the car when I bought it. No too long after it started squealing bad on me, I replaced them with Akebono brake pads ( can be bought on tirerack) no squealing at all, well until there were really low and it started again. I used the shims that came with akebono brake pads. Then I replaced them with OEM low dust brake pads and bought brand new shims with them and installed. I had the squeal for maybe about 400 miles few weeks and then it all wen't away. My mechanic did put some black grease between the shims and said thats what he always uses and it is guaranteed to work. So far no problems what so ever. I hear that rotors can also make it squeal but usually its the brake pads and the shims kit that plays the big roll.
Old 03-30-12, 05:54 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dump the Wagners... they are fine for a Chevy Cobalt... not a GS.

Instead switch out to Akebono ProACT Ceramics (front axle is $70 complete at TireRack) which include proper fitting shims already attached. After X number of attempts to stop dust/squeal w/ OEM, these have been absolutely silent and very low dust on our GS for 5,000+ miles.

Good luck
Old 03-30-12, 09:34 AM
Ls1danny
Driver School Candidate

Akebano was my first choice but it was the convience that made me go with these. But eneded up taking longer to get. But I drove the car to work today, and no noise yet. Hopefully doesn't come back. But if it does I'll get the akebano.
What about the oem shims, are they suppose to be 4 plates? 2 on stacked together on each side?
Old 03-30-12, 10:48 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1danny
Akebano was my first choice but it was the convience that made me go with these. But eneded up taking longer to get. But I drove the car to work today, and no noise yet. Hopefully doesn't come back. But if it does I'll get the akebano.
What about the oem shims, are they suppose to be 4 plates? 2 on stacked together on each side?
Yes oem shims comes 2 per each brake pad. One smaller and one slightly bigger.
Old 03-30-12, 12:46 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Yes oem shims comes 2 per each brake pad. One smaller and one slightly bigger.
... and in TSB.1 and TSB.2 for excessive brake dust... all 8 shims for front 'axle' were the wrong size each rev. Thus a big contributing factor for squeal . So if your new pads don't come w/ shims already, make sure you buy the latest revision of shims so they fit properly. To that point, most pad set ups in any car only include/require one shim per pad. Having more mostly just creates addl oppty for vibration/squeal...

Good luck

Quick Reply: Breaks still squealing/squeaking after brake job.