GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New LED DRL's and HID fogs...... in MIA

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 07:34 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LED DRL's and HID fogs...... in MIA

Got tired of the yellow DRL's so I got these LEDs with the warning cancellers ... YES I lost my high beams but I really dont mind.

I went ahead and got Xenon 5k fogs too.

It was all plug and play. I did everything in about 1.5 hrs.
Old 05-05-12, 08:16 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

if you don't want ot lose the ability to have hi-beams, why not just add HID's instead of LEDs? That's what I do... I'll make a post up of it later...
Old 05-06-12, 09:52 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ITWORKS
Got tired of the yellow DRL's so I got these LEDs with the warning cancellers ... YES I lost my high beams but I really dont mind.

I went ahead and got Xenon 5k fogs too.

It was all plug and play. I did everything in about 1.5 hrs.

You can turn off the DRL and put HID in high beam. DRL can turn off by Lexus dealer using Techstream software, so when the car running it won't come on.
Old 05-06-12, 10:04 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Actually, this is exactly the set up I wanted. The look of the LED's in the day is a soft white. When you pull the high beams, it toggles between the headlights and the DRL's. Works fine for me.
Old 05-06-12, 11:27 AM
Teddy350
Driver

What kind of LED's are they?
Old 05-06-12, 03:12 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Actually, this is exactly the set up I wanted. The look of the LED's in the day is a soft white. When you pull the high beams, it toggles between the headlights and the DRL's. Works fine for me.
That's exactly the reason why I put HID's in the hi-beams area. Because once low-beams are activated, hi-beams turn off (so you don't blinde people in the evening). You COULD always be a donkey and drive with it anway (i've tried it on a lonely highway to see how hard the beam hit, and i blinded myself looking at road signs, it's THAT concentrated).
Old 05-06-12, 03:15 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
That's exactly the reason why I put HID's in the hi-beams area. Because once low-beams are activated, hi-beams turn off (so you don't blinde people in the evening). You COULD always be a donkey and drive with it anway (i've tried it on a lonely highway to see how hard the beam hit, and i blinded myself looking at road signs, it's THAT concentrated).
put up pics of what you're talking about. So you have HID hi beams and no DRL?
Old 05-06-12, 04:29 PM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Ok . Theres a misunderstanding about my objective here. This is how my set up works.

Daytime ;
LED DRL's on ........ Thats it
Daytime hi beams ;
Pull the hi beam lever and the low beams turn on while the DRL's stay on no fog lights. (toggles with lever )

Nightime ( headlights turned on );
Low beams on and HID foglights on. Pull high beam lever - everything stays on and the LED DRL's come on also.
TheLED's have no real lumen power to speak of. They just turn on. Thats what people mean when they say "you lose your hi beams" They're not bright at all. I just wanted the soft white during the day.
I got everything locally here in Miami. PM me if you want the info.

Last edited by ITWORKS; 05-09-12 at 10:38 AM. Reason: correct explanation
Old 05-06-12, 04:33 PM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Teddy350
What kind of LED's are they?
64 LED 9005... you also need to add an ECU warning canceller to eliminate flickering. It simply plugs inline with the light and the OEM plug. Mine flickered without it.
Old 05-07-12, 02:33 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
put up pics of what you're talking about. So you have HID hi beams and no DRL?
I keep forgetting to take the darn picture.... Will most definitely tomorrow evening when I get home lol...

Ok . Theres a misunderstanding about my objective here. This is how my set up works.

Daytime ;
LED DRL's on ........ Thats it
Daytime hi beams ;
Pull the hi beam lever and the low beams turn on while the DRL's turn off and no fog lights. (toggles with lever )

Nightime ( headlights turned on );
Low beams on and HID foglights on. Pull high beam lever - everything stays on and the LED DRL's come on also.
TheLED's have no real lumen power to speak of. They just turn on. Thats what people mean when they say "you lose your hi beams" They're not bright at all. I just wanted the soft white during the day.
I got everything locally here in Miami. PM me if you want the info.
no misunderstanding, I know exactly what you mean, to each their own I guess. The DRL's are daytime running lights, or basically your hi-beams on a lower voltage (i believe a quarter or half power). What I did here was install an HID kit in it's place instead of LEDs, because 1) the DRLs will deactivate after your low-beams turn on, and 2) You have the visibility of hi-beams x2 now (brighter than O.E. bulbs). I don't think all 3 beams turn on (low beam hi-beam LED array, and fog light HIDs) only the the hi and low beams activate at this point, your foglights will deactivate (that's how it works for me and i'll take pics to prove tomorrow). The reason why I stated what I did is because you really don't lose your hi-beams.... What happens when someone pisses you off and you really want to flash'em? flip on the LED hi-beams and go instead of ? lol.... just a personal preference I guess
Old 05-07-12, 05:54 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Lol, yeah I'm tired of pissing people off. I'll just keep the laid back LED's. Thanks for your input. I might change out to your set up in the future.
Old 05-07-12, 09:42 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Lol, yeah I'm tired of pissing people off. I'll just keep the laid back LED's. Thanks for your input. I might change out to your set up in the future.
lol, it's all good buddy! I unfortunately run into moron drivers all the time (don't know why, but i'm always surrounded by bad drivers down here in FL) So losing my hi-beam ability was really not an option. That's why I figured out the next best thing.... Or should I say the much better thing lol.

here is how it works (pics as promised)

This first photo is with the hi-beams and the low-beams on.... It's when i pull the lever back.

This second photo is when I turn on the car, no low-beams, no hi-beams, just DRLs on.

This photo is the low-beams on ONLY, (the middle hi-beams shut off).

The reason why i went with this setup is because it's efficient and it works just fine. When you're driving at night the lights deactivate and you won't blinde people. If you're driving during the day, the hi-beams are activated, but it's not enough to bother anyone.... I mean, you could look straight into the light if you wish and it won't do much for your eyes compared to the sunny day outside.

Hope this helps explain things to everyone. If anyone's interested how I got this working (as it's not as easy as plugging in your freshly purchased HID kit) I can make a write-up in a new thread for reference for everyone.

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 05-07-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-07-12, 09:48 AM
03pcoupe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I keep forgetting to take the darn picture.... Will most definitely tomorrow evening when I get home lol...
Awesome, I'd be really interested in seeing pictures... Also, how long does it take for the highbeams to come on when you flash them (due to HID fire-up lag)? Are the HIDs pretty bright as DRLs? Was it a direct plug and play installation? Thanks a lot for the help man!

EDIT: Thanks for the pics, you posted right before I submitted this post. And Id love to see a write-up for the HID-DRL setup if you have time. Thanks again!

Last edited by 03pcoupe; 05-07-12 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-07-12, 10:10 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by 03pcoupe
Awesome, I'd be really interested in seeing pictures... Also, how long does it take for the highbeams to come on when you flash them (due to HID fire-up lag)? Are the HIDs pretty bright as DRLs? Was it a direct plug and play installation? Thanks a lot for the help man!

EDIT: Thanks for the pics, you posted right before I submitted this post. And Id love to see a write-up for the HID-DRL setup if you have time. Thanks again!
The hi-beams, i'd say takes about 1-2 seconds when flipping on, so the only thing you'll see flash is my HID fogs on and off (which isn't a good thing, as you should flash your hi-beams constantly like that anyway). There really isn't a fire-up lag as per say, but more of a relay going (okay, he switched it on, time to get to work!). I'll make a write up sometime this week, basically if you include all the hardware needed, it's all P-n-P. No modifications, no cutting. Just wiring between the lights, ballast, relays, caps, and battery.
Old 05-07-12, 10:11 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Great setup. Where did you get the kits from?

Quick Reply: New LED DRL's and HID fogs...... in MIA