GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New LED DRL's and HID fogs...... in MIA

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 10:17 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by M K S
Great setup. Where did you get the kits from?
What happened is I originally ordered a kit a long time ago from this shady guy in FL (i'd like not to mention his name) who claims it came with a lifetime warranty. Well the company went down under and they expected me to fork over an extra $150 for their NEW system, in which i got pretty flamed about and said goodbye .

Later on I went to a local shop down here who sells the kits at a pretty darn good price (HID Pro). They took care of my car from top to bottom, installation and everything. But as they went along, me being a picky person. I had to follow through and make sure I knew what was going on my car piece by piece. I got all the components on MY car for only$130. This was only because I ordered 6+ kits in one day, i believe it was a pretty hefty bill that day, 3 yr warranty, digital ballasts too.

P.S. I forgot to say thank you M K S for hte compliments
Old 05-07-12, 10:57 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Hope this helps explain things to everyone. If anyone's interested how I got this working (as it's not as easy as plugging in your freshly purchased HID kit) I can make a write-up in a new thread for reference for everyone.
pls do a write-up, i'll link it to the FAQ when it's done (pls include good resolution pics if possible).
Old 05-07-12, 11:57 AM
XxGoKoUxX

lol, i didn't know there wasn't already a write-up for this, i'll post it probably tomorrow or wednesday
Old 05-07-12, 01:21 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened is I originally ordered a kit a long time ago from this shady guy in FL (i'd like not to mention his name) who claims it came with a lifetime warranty. Well the company went down under and they expected me to fork over an extra $150 for their NEW system, in which i got pretty flamed about and said goodbye .

Later on I went to a local shop down here who sells the kits at a pretty darn good price (HID Pro). They took care of my car from top to bottom, installation and everything. But as they went along, me being a picky person. I had to follow through and make sure I knew what was going on my car piece by piece. I got all the components on MY car for only$130. This was only because I ordered 6+ kits in one day, i believe it was a pretty hefty bill that day, 3 yr warranty, digital ballasts too.

P.S. I forgot to say thank you M K S for hte compliments
Your setup looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll likely PM you & get some further info.

We need to see some more pics of your car...... it looks a lot like mine from the front - although I have just the boring OEM lighting
Old 05-07-12, 02:11 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, it's all good buddy! I unfortunately run into moron drivers all the time (don't know why, but i'm always surrounded by bad drivers down here in FL) So losing my hi-beam ability was really not an option. That's why I figured out the next best thing.... Or should I say the much better thing lol.

here is how it works (pics as promised)

This first photo is with the hi-beams and the low-beams on.... It's when i pull the lever back.

This second photo is when I turn on the car, no low-beams, no hi-beams, just DRLs on.

This photo is the low-beams on ONLY, (the middle hi-beams shut off).

The reason why i went with this setup is because it's efficient and it works just fine. When you're driving at night the lights deactivate and you won't blinde people. If you're driving during the day, the hi-beams are activated, but it's not enough to bother anyone.... I mean, you could look straight into the light if you wish and it won't do much for your eyes compared to the sunny day outside.

Hope this helps explain things to everyone. If anyone's interested how I got this working (as it's not as easy as plugging in your freshly purchased HID kit) I can make a write-up in a new thread for reference for everyone.
I love that look, and I love the fact that unlike the LEDs you can have you DRL AND your High beams! A writeup with some part numbers would be very welcomed.
Old 05-07-12, 04:59 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Yes write up and link to parts would be nice...although I would probably get 4300k or 5000k
Old 05-07-12, 07:11 PM
03pcoupe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, i didn't know there wasn't already a write-up for this, i'll post it probably tomorrow or wednesday
I think A LOT of people have been wanting to do this... Sounds like you got a whole buncha people excited (myself included)! Please post a link to the thread here if you create one.

BTW: Apologies to OP for the thread hijack!
Old 05-07-12, 08:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by M K S
Your setup looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll likely PM you & get some further info.

We need to see some more pics of your car...... it looks a lot like mine from the front - although I have just the boring OEM lighting
I have 8000k Garax low-beams, and these supposed 10k (i'd say they're 8000k to match the closest blue to the low-beams and DRL mini-bulb). I'll definitely answer any questions you have in PM, and if everyone is okay with it, I can purchase the parts from the shop (in bulk) and everyone can get their sets in (the wiring kit), all you will need is a 9005 HID kit after that. Just so everyone is for sure satisfied

Originally Posted by 2008GSh
I love that look, and I love the fact that unlike the LEDs you can have you DRL AND your High beams! A writeup with some part numbers would be very welcomed.
Most definitely! I will get started really really soon, been meaning to post it up but just haven't had the time lately, been busy with a lot of other projects (computer projects that i've just finished up lately).

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Yes write up and link to parts would be nice...although I would probably get 4300k or 5000k
Yeah everyone has their own taste, I like my hint of blue... It gives me that exotic feeling when i'm driving at night, and it blends well with the silver at night.

Originally Posted by 03pcoupe
I think A LOT of people have been wanting to do this... Sounds like you got a whole buncha people excited (myself included)! Please post a link to the thread here if you create one.

BTW: Apologies to OP for the thread hijack!
Yeah, I remember when I talked about it people were bagging on me about it for a while LOL.... I guess everyone finally gets what I mean. So i'll do a write up sometime tomorrow afternoon or wednesday afternoon (when the car cools down, just made a 1hr trip around town and the car's too hot to dissect the wires and redo them again).
Old 05-07-12, 10:06 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

The hi-beams, i'd say takes about 1-2 seconds when flipping on, so the only thing you'll see flash is my HID fogs on and off (which isn't a good thing, as you should flash your hi-beams constantly like that anyway). There really isn't a fire-up lag as per say, but more of a relay going (okay, he switched it on, time to get to work!). I'll make a write up sometime this week, basically if you include all the hardware needed, it's all P-n-P. No modifications, no cutting. Just wiring between the lights, ballast, relays, caps, and battery.
i'd definitely be interested in checking that write up, I just got a GS300 in so-flo as well. first order of business i'd like to do is the hid's/fog and maybe the drl, where'd you get your HID kits and would they work on a 01 gs? not quite sure but looks like they're 6000k
Old 05-08-12, 06:37 AM
XxGoKoUxX

i believe 01 GS is a bit different, I have to look it up for you kaosfive. If you're up to make a trip to orlando, the shop here can do everything for you, i'm sure there's quite a few shops in so fla though.
Old 05-08-12, 09:09 AM
03pcoupe
Rookie

The hi-beams, i'd say takes about 1-2 seconds when flipping on, so the only thing you'll see flash is my HID fogs on and off (which isn't a good thing, as you should flash your hi-beams constantly like that anyway). There really isn't a fire-up lag as per say, but more of a relay going (okay, he switched it on, time to get to work!). I'll make a write up sometime this week, basically if you include all the hardware needed, it's all P-n-P. No modifications, no cutting. Just wiring between the lights, ballast, relays, caps, and battery.
Sounds cool, like you I really want the non-yellow DRLs but would hate to lose my highbeam function... If you can put it all together, I would be happy to purchase the "whole kit" from you... How long have you had these and how often do you use your highbeams? Thanks again.
Old 05-08-12, 12:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by 03pcoupe
Sounds cool, like you I really want the non-yellow DRLs but would hate to lose my highbeam function... If you can put it all together, I would be happy to purchase the "whole kit" from you... How long have you had these and how often do you use your highbeams? Thanks again.
I've had them 3-4 months now, I don't need to put anything together for you, it's pretty simple, ALL PLUG N PLAY, just you need the components, I will post things up accordingly and I'll try to get the guy I buy from to post up a link for you guys to just purchase the wiring without the HID kit. The lights have been used on a daily basis, they're on when the car is on (unless i'm driving at night).

EDIT: I just got off the phone with him, let me do my write up and i'll PM you the link. You can order from him and get everything settled, he's also worked on 2GS's also!
Old 05-08-12, 03:03 PM
03pcoupe
Rookie

EDIT: I just got off the phone with him, let me do my write up and i'll PM you the link. You can order from him and get everything settled, he's also worked on 2GS's also!
Sweet, thanks!
Old 05-08-12, 08:53 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Here's the write-up thread, took a while to edit and get everything written properly, but it's finally done

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-sry-guys.html
Old 05-09-12, 10:43 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Correction to my earlier post Ooooppss !

Daytime hi beams ;
Pull the hi beam lever and the low beams turn on while the DRL's stay on no fog lights. (toggles with lever )

Quick Reply: New LED DRL's and HID fogs...... in MIA