GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 04:00 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ the sign is bright but the road is not. So on road that have less or no reflective stuff you are blind.
Old 05-09-12, 04:27 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 332 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008GSh
By Federal mandate, in Canada every car sold after 1990 was to have DRL activated... To turn them off is a Federal crime... though lots do.
Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
In the US also!i tried many times with failure... Ill get the pdf from neurocity and give it one more try
Not true. There's no such law in the U.S. that requires DRL to be on. At least not every state mandate DRL to be on. I checked with my state law and had it turned off from my dealer.
Old 05-09-12, 04:56 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
^ the sign is bright but the road is not. So on road that have less or no reflective stuff you are blind.
Either way its bright enough.... And people hate it more than regular hi-beams. I know because i do it to my gf and friends once in a full moon for fun

Originally Posted by NickL
Not true. There's no such law in the U.S. that requires DRL to be on. At least not every state mandate DRL to be on. I checked with my state law and had it turned off from my dealer.
Really now?... I will have to take a look into it
Old 05-09-12, 05:10 PM
NickL
Instructor

http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9912/rm991203.htm
http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html

"No US state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."

Safety is one thing but these DRL lights are distracting sometime. And unless it's OEM LED DRL, they look pretty bad because of the lights are driven at a lower power.
With Automatically on/off headlights, DRL are not needed. If the weather turns bad and it gets dark, your vehicle will be clearly visible by others. You can also set the sensitivity of the automatic on/off headlight sensors.
Old 05-09-12, 05:12 PM
NickL
Instructor

The mod looks good but if your DRL is driven at full power, that means you're highbeaming people. Share the road and be courteous to your fellow drivers.
Old 05-09-12, 09:54 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by NickL
The mod looks good but if your DRL is driven at full power, that means you're highbeaming people. Share the road and be courteous to your fellow drivers.
I know where you're coming from, but if you can see a picture of the beam in the camera during the day, it shouldn't distract anyone across from you, it certainly doesn't disturb me when looking directly at it from daylight. And you're right, everyone should be as courteous as possible during the day to their fellow drivers I know I am.
Old 05-10-12, 06:18 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Either way its bright enough.... And people hate it more than regular hi-beams. I know because i do it to my gf and friends once in a full moon for fun
No wonder everyone driving around me like they are driving blind, allll over the place. You blinded them.

But really, blinding ppl isn't nice. When I see people with high beam behind me, I drive super super slow. LOL I'm the fastest car on the road if I were in left lane, so no reason they need to high beam me.
Old 05-10-12, 07:09 AM
XxGoKoUxX

I only flip on the high-beams if i'm being cut off, or if someone's driving like a donkey..... i.e. they switch lanes every 3 seconds because they see one car scooch forward more than the other.

Other than that, like I've posted. It doesn't blinde people at all during the day, matter of fact I don't even see my beam in someone's else's rear when the high-beams are on lol
Old 05-10-12, 08:20 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ hard to drive fast with so many donkeys all over the road doing crazy things.

And for seeing your light, that's cause it's too weak. Glaring, but weak. I can see my oem light just fine both low beam and high beam (during daylight on someone's rear)
Old 05-10-12, 09:50 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

xxgokouxx has been generous enough with his time in doing a write up for those who are interested in doing this mod. if you don't like it, fair enough, just comment and move on. i do not want this thread to turn into a bashing thread. all i ask is that everyone be courteous and non-judgemental. thanks.
Old 05-10-12, 10:04 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
xxgokouxx has been generous enough with his time in doing a write up for those who are interested in doing this mod. if you don't like it, fair enough, just comment and move on. i do not want this thread to turn into a bashing thread. all i ask is that everyone be courteous and non-judgemental. thanks.
Good call...NUFF said ! The guy has hooked it up big time here with info and good pics.
Old 05-10-12, 10:32 AM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stormforge
Why are we so sensitive on what other people opinion about their mods here? It's cool when you mod your car and don't affect other people on the road. But if mods like high beam lights, they do affect people on the road.
All I'm saying is, good work on the mod but if that light is on like a high beam and HID, it's a real distraction for other drivers on the road. And from the look of the pictures, the color of the lights is greenish which is not something I would call friendly on the road.
Old 05-10-12, 10:44 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

No bashing from me.

xxgokouxx, it looks great.
Old 05-10-12, 11:35 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

xxgokouxx never said if the HID runs full power at all times. So to clarify for all, does it run half power on drl mode and full power on high beam mode. Or in simpler terms are the HIDs less bright on DRL mode and brighter in high beam mode?
Old 05-10-12, 11:50 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
xxgokouxx never said if the HID runs full power at all times. So to clarify for all, does it run half power on drl mode and full power on high beam mode. Or in simpler terms are the HIDs less bright on DRL mode and brighter in high beam mode?
I'm pretty sure that 30 amp relay he's triggering with the OEM DRL socket is either ON or OFF . It doesn't have a hi or low setting. So I'd say it's same intensity DRL or Hi beam

Quick Reply: Installation of HID in DRLs/Hi-Beams!