GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

i'm such a sucker

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 06:19 PM
Red112fl
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

("Don't be too hard on yourself' -- Billie Jean King, GEICO TV Ad). Remember the saying "Long after the price is forgotten, the quality remains." The point is the car is in your driveway and every time you gaze at this marvel of automotive engineering and aesthetics, you say to yourself, "Thats my Lexus" It's the bang for the buck you personally receive. Suppose you had saved $1-1,500 but ended up with a car that just wasn't up to your requirements - e.g. multiple owners, non-garaged, smoker-car,collision damage history, paint chips, excessive mileage, not properly serviced, wrong color, worn interior, exposed to inclement weather, etc. You bought what you wanted and you could afford it. Just knowing that should put a big smile on your face. .Remember, It's just frickin money. (I'm no trust fund baby and I work hard for my money, but it's just money.)

By the way, I just paid 24k (net of fees and taxes for an 06 GS 300 (Base model) Yeah . . . I could have paid less by buying it from a private party and gotten 50 more HP by buying a 2007, but the vehicle was my first choice for exterior (Pearlescent) and interior (tan) had my trim preference (rosewood), was a one owner Florida car, with 43,000 miles, garaged from day one, non-smoker, no evidence of collision repair or repainting, decent tires, dealership-serviced, previously owned by a mature driver and it had chromed factory rims to boot without the options I didn't need or want . I bought it at the Lexus dealership and will get free home and work pick up/delivery and loaner cars (if I want them) for life. Pllus, I get invited to catered private events and treated to the Lexus level of customer-service and meet other Lexus affecionados.

Enjoy the car or as I like to say, "Forget about what it cost - savor the taste of the Scotch and enjoy the buzz!" You just need to appreciate how well you did.

Good luck with the mods.
Old 05-18-12, 07:33 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you guys think, should i get the chrome trim surrounding the windows painted black to match the windows and pillars or paint them body color to match roof line?
Old 05-18-12, 07:36 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tucker21
thanks guys!
oh ps: the mods i'm planning on so far are mostly aesthetic, i want to lightly smoke the tail lights (leaving the reverse lights alone) paint the front grill the body color and the chrome window trim black to blend in with the windows (i really don't like chrome look heh).
also going to smoke the rear emblems to match the body color.
also going to replace the shifter with a matching one from the LS600, throw some nice lexus aluminum sport pedals on and prolly get a nice tasteful exhaust.
oh also thinking of doing a full HID conversion of front lights with full LED conversion of remaining lights and then throwing a very subtle roof spoiler on.
oh and of course going to put a vaistech unit in so i can play the ipod.
other then that i can't think of anything immediate i plan to do besides get a nice full detail.
i'll def throw some pics up once i get the mods done! cheers.
Damn, in your list of mods I dont see you changing those rims, but if you do let me know. Congrats, see your going for a knight rider look.
Old 05-18-12, 07:45 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

haha ya the rims were one of the things i loved about the car at first sight.

when i first started looking i was certain i was going to get a pearl white GS and put some nice vossens on with a gloss black center and paint the lips pearl white to match.

however when i saw this car i fell in love with both the color and the rims so don't think i'm doing anything with them.

and ya i love the blacked out look on cars, my other car is an audi A4 ultra sport and i blacked everything out and then put a K04 turbo, intercooler, chip, full exhaust and upgraded suspension.

not going to go as crazy on this car as it looks so good already, however i really love modifying my rides (even both of my motorcycles are totally customized) so much of the fun is poring over the endless options out there and really putting your own personal touches on the car.

i get really detailed with it as even stuff that no one else will notice matters to me. stuff like the window trim or putting sport pedals on etc....i don't mod the cars to impress other people just do it to satisfy my mental image of what i want the car to look like.

i do welcome all comments and suggestions tho! i'm always happy to hear some good ideas.

ps: if anyone has some good recommendations for shops in the bay area that can help with the customization (esp the paint work) please let me know.

i'm in the north bay (in between petaluma and santa rosa but i'll drive as far as san jose to find a good person to work with).

i was looking at sonicMS in mountain view, anyone have any experience with them?

cheers.
Old 05-18-12, 08:56 PM
Teddy350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tucker21
what do you guys think, should i get the chrome trim surrounding the windows painted black to match the windows and pillars or paint them body color to match roof line?
I think you should do them the same color that you're going to do the emblems
Old 05-19-12, 05:38 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful looking at a great price too....... Enjoy and happy modding
Old 05-22-12, 12:16 AM
tucker21
Pole Position

dropped car off yesterday to get tail lights and front turn signals tinted, and the chrome around window, grill n headlights all wrapped matte black.

will post pics tomorrow.

ordered a roof visor, sport pedals, n a ls600 shift **** which should arrive early june (i am so damn impatient but the vendors did not offer any expedited shipping so wait i must)

these are the pedals i ordered what do you think?

Old 05-22-12, 12:44 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I love the pedals, I personally prefer the original chrome look on cars but I can just imagine how sexy your car will be....
Old 05-22-12, 08:49 AM
Flyinbrick
Rookie

Hey congrats on the purchase. I guess we were shopping for GS' in the Bay Area around the same time. I saw this one too, it's pretty nice.

I stuck my guns and went with the GS 460 in the Starfire Pearl. I guess I should post up some photos soon too.
Old 05-22-12, 09:08 AM
ferrerski
Rookie

I am the EXACT same way and I felt the EXACT same way about a week after purchasing my car. I am a local Bay Area guy too... I bought my 07 GS 450H CPO from Lexus of Pleasanton Lexus about two weeks ago w/ 36k miles for $32k before fees/taxes/financing. I probably could have gotten it for $29k/$30k and felt better, but you pointed out a really good point... $1k or even $2k financed over 5 years is about $20/month.

They were asking $36k on the sticker, listed online for $34k.

I did get about $3k more than I expected for my trade in so at the end of the day it was a wash.

It's funny though, I was set on a white 08+ GS 350 private sale with about 45k miles @ $28.5k and I was prepared to shop for 30-45 days before signing, but I could not resist the "CPO" + warranty + hybrid power/uniqueness + low mileage.

I do kinda wish I got an 08 for the slight updates, mainly the turn signals on the side view lights.

Great car and I got the same color!
Old 05-22-12, 01:42 PM
Menace3GS
Driver School Candidate

The dealership is actually down the block from my workplace. I've seen the car, and it looks awesome. Congrats!
Old 05-22-12, 01:53 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

That will last you another 25 years!
Old 05-22-12, 02:13 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Great color combo I just got my GS about two months now and I have the same color combo and love it.
Old 05-22-12, 07:12 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

had the emblems smoked and the tail lights tinted....tried to take a pic but it was too shadowy and dark.
i have one meh pic i'll post but i'll take some better ones tomorrow.
taking it back in the morning to have the window trim wrapped and the front grill and emblem done as well.

Old 05-22-12, 09:17 PM
TMac2
Driver School Candidate

congrats on the GS purchase bro i just recently got my 3GS beginning of this year and i felt the same way man don't worry i feel you at the end of the day i'm happy and satisfy with my purchase. where did you ordered your paddles from? those are pretty clean.

Quick Reply: i'm such a sucker