GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Went with a full synthetic oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 09:08 PM
Teddy350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Went with a full synthetic oil change...

Dealer put a sticker on my windshield that says to come back in 3K miles for the next oil change. Is that right? (didn't notice it then). I thought I can go at least 5K miles before the next oil change. Even the owners manual tells me to change after 5K miles.
Old 05-18-12, 09:13 PM
shytown350
Rookie

5000 here with half synthetic.
Old 05-18-12, 09:24 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You can go 10k depending on the quality of your synthetic oil, around 4500 miles is when my car starts to break the oil in (or that's how I feel) because that's when my gas mileage starts racking up to 24-25+. After 5k I do a DIY synthetic oil change and tire rotation (non-DIY).

P.S. 5k is usually the peak of your non-synthetic oil change. I'm unsure why they put 3k, even conventional oil lasts longer than that.
Old 05-18-12, 09:59 PM
Teddy350
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
You can go 10k depending on the quality of your synthetic oil, around 4500 miles is when my car starts to break the oil in (or that's how I feel) because that's when my gas mileage starts racking up to 24-25+. After 5k I do a DIY synthetic oil change and tire rotation (non-DIY).

P.S. 5k is usually the peak of your non-synthetic oil change. I'm unsure why they put 3k, even conventional oil lasts longer than that.
Yep...sounds right. Just bought my wife a 2012 Camry XLE that comes with full synthetic and the next oil change is due at 10K miles. I'll change the oil in my Lexus at 5K miles from now just to play it safe. I set my car to notify me at 5K miles.
Old 05-19-12, 02:11 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Teddy350
Yep...sounds right. Just bought my wife a 2012 Camry XLE that comes with full synthetic and the next oil change is due at 10K miles. I'll change the oil in my Lexus at 5K miles from now just to play it safe. I set my car to notify me at 5K miles.
I don't think the Camry's come with synthetic oil. Don't quote me on this but when we purchased my fiance's 2011 camry, it was regular 0w-20 oil or something in that area. The oil change interval is STILL 10k miles for god knows why, but I was told it was REGULAR conventional oil. I believe the reason why THAT oil gets 10k miles is the fact that it's some "greener" oil that also helps in saving energy and gets u even more MPG's. The reason why I don't trust 10k intervals is because you always ALWAYS have to check oil levels (as ALL cars burn off oil, and I'm always short a quart or two while doing oil changes).

Off topic, but how do you like your 2012 camry? I think it's hideous TBH, I'd kill for the '11 camry w/ lip kit and BBS wheels for a DD

[I also heard the V6 of the 2012 gives the GS a run for it's money power-wise ]
Old 05-19-12, 03:16 AM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the Camry's come with synthetic oil. Don't quote me on this but when we purchased my fiance's 2011 camry, it was regular 0w-20 oil or something in that area. The oil change interval is STILL 10k miles for god knows why, but I was told it was REGULAR conventional oil. I believe the reason why THAT oil gets 10k miles is the fact that it's some "greener" oil that also helps in saving energy and gets u even more MPG's. The reason why I don't trust 10k intervals is because you always ALWAYS have to check oil levels (as ALL cars burn off oil, and I'm always short a quart or two while doing oil changes).

Off topic, but how do you like your 2012 camry? I think it's hideous TBH, I'd kill for the '11 camry w/ lip kit and BBS wheels for a DD

0-20 Toyota oil is synthetic hence the 10k oil change interval
Old 05-19-12, 03:21 AM
XxGoKoUxX

really now? You learn something new everyday

I even specifically asked the sales guy there and he said it's not synthetic LOL, but he said its some special green oil made to save gas last longer and use less energy.
Old 05-19-12, 06:46 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

Did you check the report? Maybe there's something wearing out and you need to come back early.
For oil change, 5K is what is typically programmed for. I'm also using full synthetic oil and won't be back to the dealer until at least 7K. Unless of course, something else is needed.
Old 05-19-12, 09:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Well the Car is programmed automatically for 5K no matter wat so even if you purchased the 10K Mobile 1 that light would still appear. Maybe the service tech missed math class and made a mistake. Pretty sure although they said come back in 3K your car will blink at 5K.
Old 05-19-12, 10:24 AM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really now? You learn something new everyday

I even specifically asked the sales guy there and he said it's not synthetic LOL, but he said its some special green oil made to save gas last longer and use less energy.
Lol yeah most sales guys dont know what they are talking about, they still have maintenance schedule every 5k, but thats only to rotate your tires and to do a checkup on your oil. As far as oil change goes, It's every 10k if the oil cap says 0w-20 on it
Old 05-19-12, 11:15 AM
XxGoKoUxX

a few questions. You can set your car to change the oil at "x" amount of miles?

And also, have you been changing BRANDS of oils while you were there? If you didn't get full synthetic while you were there before, and you're geting it now, it MIGHT be the reason why. As there will still be residue of old oil and that might gunk up the internals of your vehicle. (in which I doubt they did an oil flush on your car)
Old 05-31-12, 06:47 PM
Teddy350
Driver

Cool

Off topic, I really like the 2012 Camry XLE. It's growing on me. Didn't like it at first. I had a 2011 Camry SE fully loaded that I traded for the GS. Interior of the 2012 has definitely been stepped up. I like that it comes full synthetic...but I'll still change at 5K for peace of mind. Rides great, 10 spoke wheels with all the perks except the side view monitoring system. 2 tone leather with Navi and camera, also the whole Entune thing. We plan to keep it until the wheels fall off!!!
Attached Thumbnails Went with a full synthetic oil change...-100_1602.jpg  

Last edited by Teddy350; 05-31-12 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Image
Old 05-31-12, 08:12 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mobil1 every 7500 miles in my '07 GS350 - never had a problem.
Wife's '10 RX calls for oil/filter change every 10k miles. I have no problem with either interval, although both cars are primarily highway vehicles, and AZ is a great place to raise cars. If we were in less conducive climate and driving conditions, the intervals may be different.
Old 05-31-12, 09:27 PM
Teddy350
Driver

a few questions. You can set your car to change the oil at "x" amount of miles?

And also, have you been changing BRANDS of oils while you were there? If you didn't get full synthetic while you were there before, and you're geting it now, it MIGHT be the reason why. As there will still be residue of old oil and that might gunk up the internals of your vehicle. (in which I doubt they did an oil flush on your car)
Yes, I can set my car for all kinds of maintenance...I just hit the "INFO" button. You can set it yourself or have the dealer set it after you have maintenance done but I prefer to set my settings myself (just in case they get the oil maintenance interval wrong...which I experienced)
Old 06-01-12, 10:30 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up until the 10RX350 and GX460 the interval is every 5k or six months, with conventional, blend or full synthetic. The newer RX, GX, IS250, HS, and CT are certified for 10k mile interval oil changes using 0-20 full synthetic oil. Lexus reccomends that if the wrong oil is put in, that the propper oil be reused at the next 5k service.

Lexus doesn't recomend increasing the interval on any of the vehicles just cause of the use of synthetic oils. Acids and debri still build up in the oil and can cause damage.

Quick Reply: Went with a full synthetic oil change...