GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS430 Gas Mileage Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 06:07 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GS430 Gas Mileage Questions

what are you guys's numbers looking like, and what can i do to increase... a heavy foot gets me like 12-13mpg and cruising can get me up to 16 any recommendations?
Old 05-22-12, 06:48 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I get 12-15 in NYC city driving.
Highway it will get 22-25. I have seen 27-28 if I stay at 60. But on average, mixed, city/highway driving usually yields 20-22MPG.

A lot depends on the driver. You you race from one stop light to another, you MPG will suffer.

Pace yourself, look ahead. Keeping good distance from the car ahead of you means you will brake less, accelerate less as well as you will maintain a more constant speed.

Problem with 430 is, its sounds so good and is so much fun to drive fast that sometimes I get carried away. But I never really cared about fuel economy that much.

I owned a 73 Lincoln that got 5 MPG and I put 3k miles on in in one year just cruising.
Old 05-22-12, 07:46 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lowest = 18mpg
Usually = 25mpg
Highest ever = 28mpg

Just leaving the pump and go strait on highway = 30mpg (this number drop quick)

60mph on highway is safest speed. Produce decent mpg and safe from cops + speed cameras.

5mph in Washington DC is safest speed due to butt loads of speed camera hidden everywhere producing around $80 millions for the city. And they will be adding another 88 cameras hoping to make a round $100 millions.
Old 05-22-12, 07:57 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by worker
Lowest = 18mpg
Usually = 25mpg
Highest ever = 28mpg

60mph on highway is safest speed. Produce decent mpg and safe from cops + speed cameras.

5mph in Washington DC is safest speed due to butt loads of speed camera hidden everywhere producing around $80 millions for the city. And they will be adding another 88 cameras hoping to make a round $100 millions.
wow i never get numbers like that no matter how i drive
Old 05-22-12, 08:36 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consistantly average 26. My commute is all highway, but on the weekends I do a lot of city driving. I've never seen mine as low as the OP's
Old 05-22-12, 09:52 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Austin, it seems your number is too low. Unless you live in NY like tb, I think something is wrong with your car.
Old 05-22-12, 09:54 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i drove local most of the time to work ( no fwy at all ), been averaging around 17-19mpg. unless someone cut me off too often on certain week, then my mpg will drop around 15-16...
Old 05-22-12, 09:54 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Austin, it seems your number is too low. Unless you live in NY like tb, I think something is wrong with your car.
i think so too.. i have a full warranty on mines still im going to take it in for service
Old 05-22-12, 11:14 AM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Average is right at 18MPG for me, for mainly suburban driving. That means small stretches of roads with stoplights. If I feather the gas pedal I may squeeze 19/20 mpg.

On a trip to Florida, highway after filling up, I averaged 25/26mpg at about 75-80mph.

13MPG is too low, unless you are really getting on the gas at every stoplight.
Old 05-22-12, 09:54 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinSBP
what are you guys's numbers looking like, and what can i do to increase... a heavy foot gets me like 12-13mpg and cruising can get me up to 16 any recommendations?
You want to accelerate at a perfect pace, enough so that the engine gets up to about 2k RPM and then shifts, in those increments I've noticed best overall MPG vs going like a turtle or stomping on the gas. I get 20mpg when messing around with people on the road, speeding to get to school, etc.

On the average week I get 22, and on a good week I can nab 24-26mpg.

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I get 12-15 in NYC city driving.
Highway it will get 22-25. I have seen 27-28 if I stay at 60. But on average, mixed, city/highway driving usually yields 20-22MPG.

A lot depends on the driver. You you race from one stop light to another, you MPG will suffer.

Pace yourself, look ahead. Keeping good distance from the car ahead of you means you will brake less, accelerate less as well as you will maintain a more constant speed.

Problem with 430 is, its sounds so good and is so much fun to drive fast that sometimes I get carried away. But I never really cared about fuel economy that much.

I owned a 73 Lincoln that got 5 MPG and I put 3k miles on in in one year just cruising.
AGREED, the sound is phenomenal, if only I could find a way to amplify the sound without all the "WOHHHHH" noise behind it! You forgot to add coasting. I've spent close to $400 for my rotors+pads so i'm very much against constant braking. In traffic i'm the turtle coasting all the time, it took me 2-3 weeks before my brakes FULLY broke in to use it like normal!

Lowest = 18mpg
Usually = 25mpg
Highest ever = 28mpg

those camera's don't roll in FL anymore lol.... People have been fighting them since forever, and it's gotten to the point where we win so much it's grown popularity on the news!

Like you, i've hit 28mpg, usually i only get 22 on average, and 17's my lowest lowest lowest (the body shop left my car on to charge my dead lexus battery).

wow i never get numbers like that no matter how i drive
Do you have a lot of uphill and downhill paths when you drive? that contributes to how many mpg's you gain also.

Originally Posted by M K S
I consistantly average 26. My commute is all highway, but on the weekends I do a lot of city driving. I've never seen mine as low as the OP's
jeez, 26 on average is insane! You must pull your car with you as you drive lol.

Originally Posted by lex-ative
Average is right at 18MPG for me, for mainly suburban driving. That means small stretches of roads with stoplights. If I feather the gas pedal I may squeeze 19/20 mpg.

On a trip to Florida, highway after filling up, I averaged 25/26mpg at about 75-80mph.

13MPG is too low, unless you are really getting on the gas at every stoplight.
pfft.... i don't know how he'd get 13mpg unless he sits idle in the car for long periods of time before he goes wherever he needs to. I've tried REALLY hard before to hit 15mpg and i failed
Old 05-23-12, 08:00 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
AGREED, the sound is phenomenal, if only I could find a way to amplify the sound without all the "WOHHHHH" noise behind it! You forgot to add coasting. I've spent close to $400 for my rotors+pads so i'm very much against constant braking. In traffic i'm the turtle coasting all the time, it took me 2-3 weeks before my brakes FULLY broke in to use it like normal!
Roll down your window and drive slower to enjoy the sound.

Get out of my way you snail... I mean turtle.

those camera's don't roll in FL anymore lol.... People have been fighting them since forever, and it's gotten to the point where we win so much it's grown popularity on the news!
Too many idiots living in DC. They don't even have a car so they want MORE cameras. It's a nightmare for drivers. Horrible roads + Cameras hidden everywhere.

Like you, i've hit 28mpg, usually i only get 22 on average, and 17's my lowest lowest lowest (the body shop left my car on to charge my dead lexus battery).
You should have told them to use a battery tender or a charger instead of using your gas. And driving your car will charge your battery more than leave it running idle.
Old 05-23-12, 08:08 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

i dont have any hills around here... driving normal i can get around 12-13 if i start to idle in one spot it can drop to 11 or even 10.... ive seen 20 one time on my car and that was after a fill up and i hopped straight on the interstate. that didnt last long. and last weekend i took a 1 hour drive on the interstate and averaged 15 cruising non stop.
Old 05-23-12, 08:17 PM
06ausiecar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

City I'd say 14-18 highway I saw 27 a couple weeks ago on a 350 mile trip. That was doing 80 with cruise on too. Super surprised about that. That was via that car computer. I did do a almost 400 mile trip 95% hwy at 80 with and without cruise and averaged 26.5 doing the calculations. Not as good as my GTO was when stock but damn good for a v8 auto. GTO I saw 29 mpg!!!!! Australian muscle.... Good thing the isf can do it too.
Old 05-23-12, 09:43 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Roll down your window and drive slower to enjoy the sound.

Get out of my way you snail... I mean turtle.

Too many idiots living in DC. They don't even have a car so they want MORE cameras. It's a nightmare for drivers. Horrible roads + Cameras hidden everywhere.

You should have told them to use a battery tender or a charger instead of using your gas. And driving your car will charge your battery more than leave it running idle.
I AM a turtle for hte most part hahaha... some days i just get the urge and put my foot down to the firewall though.

Currently thinking of fabricating up something similar to an SLP intake system (like in the camaro's).

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=SLP+i...9,r:1,s:0,i:82

It sucks for you guys in DC, FL roads are just as bad, the sun beaming down really puts some abuse ot the roads! 90% of the highway and city here is always ALWAYS under construction.

And yeah, I would have if they had told me that earlier. I just came back to my car with 7mpg's i believe.... LOL, honestly i didn't care to make much of a fuss about it, as they charged me $250 (literally) for about $1500+ of body work! (someone cracked a side skirt and i split my front lip again, including them repainting a whole door and my trunk after a debadge).

i dont have any hills around here... driving normal i can get around 12-13 if i start to idle in one spot it can drop to 11 or even 10.... ive seen 20 one time on my car and that was after a fill up and i hopped straight on the interstate. that didnt last long. and last weekend i took a 1 hour drive on the interstate and averaged 15 cruising non stop.
Hmm.... I may make a video tutorial for the CL members with GS430's, a lot of members have been complaining about low mpg's, i just dont know why... I get 22 on the average.

Originally Posted by 06ausiecar
City I'd say 14-18 highway I saw 27 a couple weeks ago on a 350 mile trip. That was doing 80 with cruise on too. Super surprised about that. That was via that car computer. I did do a almost 400 mile trip 95% hwy at 80 with and without cruise and averaged 26.5 doing the calculations. Not as good as my GTO was when stock but damn good for a v8 auto. GTO I saw 29 mpg!!!!! Australian muscle.... Good thing the isf can do it too.
lol... the corvette (an LS-generation motor) can do better than that. It's not all about hte engine size, it's more about the transmission/rear diff gearing ratio. Corvette at like 60-70mpg i believe sits at 1500rpm.
Old 05-24-12, 06:44 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ Aren't FL roads are mostly concrete? It can withstand the hot sun.

Luckily I only have to go into DC like once a year. I hate driving there every single time. Red light at every 2 feet. Roads are full of pot holes and cracks. Now adding the camers... it's a real hell. Here are a list of "hell" and FL didn't make the list. http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Livon...7514-1045.aspx

Here's my pic of 30mpg... note the 55mph speed average and 26 miles distance. LOL

Last edited by worker; 05-24-12 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: GS430 Gas Mileage Questions