GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Gs300: Aftermarket Ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 11:55 PM
JJgsSFP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
If the wattage of an HID bulb is 35w and the wattage of a regular bulb is what.... 55w... can you explain why the HID bulb burns tons hotter than the 55w Halogen bulb? I state this because people's housing melts with HID bulbs over the halogen bulbs

I still feel and stand by my statement that 55w HID bulb burn hotter than 35w, and with the 35w already as it is, the intensity of 55w will in doubt most likely melt hte housing at a faster rate.

Maybe i'm mistaken and our O.E. housing's suck?
Alright, I'm not going to start an argument, but either the CL search feature blows, or this "melting the housings" is just like "Rota's suck cause they crack." The rest of the story is always missing. I've found 1 article, on a HIGH BEAM housing melting, due to unrelated issues. I have NEVER in 12 years as an A.S.E. tech, seen a functional hid kit melt a housing. I HAVE, on multiple occasions seen housing melted due to people sticking high Wattage incandescent bulbs in housings designed for lower wattage. Just remember... pics, or it didn't happen. Your statement makes no sense. An hid bulb and an incandescent bulb can both be 35, 55 or even 100 Watts, and occasionally other random Wattage depending on the bulb. And who the hell told you that "the hid bulb burns tons hotter"? Please don't take advice from this person, you won't make it too much further in life. Yes a 55w hid bulb is hotter than a 35w hid bulb, but a 55w hid bulb is still not as hot as a 35w incandescent bulb. I'm not trying to be a **** to you, I'm stating that you should research and comprehend a subject instead of just believing and repeating other people's opinions and hearsay. In other words, don't be a christian about it, science works.
Old 06-01-12, 01:25 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Ahhh, he must of specified that because our bulbs are specifically sized for our housing's There's no system to alert us when our bulbs are out (lucky us, the BMW people always have to purchase these warning cancellation kits). Thanks for keeping me updated on the issue! I think i'll go for the Denso's if they ARE the O.E. and PnP system for our cars!

Originally Posted by JJgsSFP
Alright, I'm not going to start an argument, but either the CL search feature blows, or this "melting the housings" is just like "Rota's suck cause they crack." The rest of the story is always missing. I've found 1 article, on a HIGH BEAM housing melting, due to unrelated issues. I have NEVER in 12 years as an A.S.E. tech, seen a functional hid kit melt a housing. I HAVE, on multiple occasions seen housing melted due to people sticking high Wattage incandescent bulbs in housings designed for lower wattage. Just remember... pics, or it didn't happen. Your statement makes no sense. An hid bulb and an incandescent bulb can both be 35, 55 or even 100 Watts, and occasionally other random Wattage depending on the bulb. And who the hell told you that "the hid bulb burns tons hotter"? Please don't take advice from this person, you won't make it too much further in life. Yes a 55w hid bulb is hotter than a 35w hid bulb, but a 55w hid bulb is still not as hot as a 35w incandescent bulb. I'm not trying to be a **** to you, I'm stating that you should research and comprehend a subject instead of just believing and repeating other people's opinions and hearsay. In other words, don't be a christian about it, science works.
Not trying to start an arguement, just trying to see where you're coming from. Just that these "HID" bulbs are known to melt the lenses on our foglights. Compared to the O.E. bulbs that will never melt it, that's why I asked you to explain it, not trying to be a christian, not trying to shout otu what was told to me, I'm telling you from PERSONAL experience. I hope you didn't misunderstand me between housing and lens. I've been talking to people who frequent the HID forums and yes, with a lot of reccomendations, HID bulbs should be put in a projector, as I was told that the beam is too strong for a regular plastic lens. If you want pics (or it didn't happen). I'll be more than happy to upload some PROVEN pictures that the HID bulbs do in fact (at least my 35w bulbs) have melted the lenses of my foglights. I have managed to keep this from happening to my hi-beams so far, so I can't prove it otherwise in that area.

BTW, I have done a lot of reading, gone to many shops, and conversed over this subject many many times. I'm not a dummy, I don't take what a few people say as advice, just trying to get an understanding of where you're coming from .
Old 06-01-12, 10:50 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a denso ballast from the retrofitsource. Was like 50$. Super nice people. Replaced my old blown one with out taking the light apart and without creating damage. It wasn't fun, wasn't a straight pop in but also I've done way harder things. Works perfect. Lexus wants you to buy the whole light assembly.
Old 06-01-12, 11:32 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

i bet that was insanely hard to do huh? Well, not hard, but tedious work if the headlights not out lol.