GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Gs300: Aftermarket Ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12 | 04:29 PM
Jspektunin
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 Gs300: Aftermarket Ballast?

Hey guys, My driver side ballast finally decide to die 3 days ago .. Dealership quoted $1100 to fix the issue. I notice that current 06-and later Lexus models come with the ballast built inside and I don't feel like taking my headlights apart... So, my question is...can we run aftermarket ballast with d4s adapter (will it work)? What Wattage? Will it throw a code?

Try searching on the forums for solution and how-to...no luck. Help me....
Old 05-22-12 | 06:14 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Jspektunin
Hey guys, My driver side ballast finally decide to die 3 days ago .. Dealership quoted $1100 to fix the issue. I notice that current 06-and later Lexus models come with the ballast built inside and I don't feel like taking my headlights apart... So, my question is...can we run aftermarket ballast with d4s adapter (will it work)? What Wattage? Will it throw a code?

Try searching on the forums for solution and how-to...no luck. Help me....
Dont think thats a safe method, best bet is to go on Ebay and makesure you grab a Denso ballast. I think you can get them for $50-$130. I believe someone else here can help you with installation.
Old 05-22-12 | 09:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

why not go aftermarket bigblack? there's no harm in that (besides cutting and splicing wires LOL). Someone on here's done that already and he's been happy ever since

As for me, like bigblack said, get an O.E. ballast, save yourself the headache and replace your 35w bulb with a 35w bulb, the headlight gets piping hot already as it is, imagine a 55w+ bulb in there, you're bound ot melt plastic.
Old 05-22-12 | 10:20 PM
JJgsSFP
Driver School Candidate

How's it going? New to CL, long time technician. Although it might not be the "preferred" route, and may be shunned upon by some, as a matter of cost effectiveness, there is nothing wrong with going with aftermarket. Also, you shouldn't have to cut or splice anything as long as you find the correct kit/harness. I have had lots of "baller" customers with luxury cars have ballasts go bad, without the luxury income to repair it properly. And @GoKoU, most aftermarket HID kits are 35w, 55w is usually the "option" and in the case of HID's that increased wattage isn't necessarily that large of a temp increase. Remember, HID's are not incandescent bulbs, they don't rely on a filament to generate resistance high enough to glow like a *****. Back to the point, it'll work fine, don't know if it'll throw a code or not, but it hasn't done it to me on other cars with the ability to give you the lamp warning.
Old 05-23-12 | 12:33 AM
XxGoKoUxX

it won't so long as it has a current flowing fine. I don't even remember our GS's having a light warning, mine's didn't when my bulbs went out. I don't know why I keep hearing about it =\.

And thanks for the quick education JJgsSFP I've always felt like the higher the wattage the more heat is produced.
Old 05-23-12 | 02:26 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

I retrofitted aftermarket ballasts and it works perfectly well. Did it on the IS350 almost 8 months ago and have no issues yet and just did it on my GS couple of weeks ago, no issues.
Did a write up on it not hope it helps.

http://www.flawlessfitment.com/2012/...-retrofit.html
Old 05-23-12 | 02:54 AM
XxGoKoUxX

thanks kuWuPt.... I was waiting for you to chime in
Old 05-23-12 | 05:20 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
why not go aftermarket bigblack? there's no harm in that (besides cutting and splicing wires LOL). Someone on here's done that already and he's been happy ever since

As for me, like bigblack said, get an O.E. ballast, save yourself the headache and replace your 35w bulb with a 35w bulb, the headlight gets piping hot already as it is, imagine a 55w+ bulb in there, you're bound ot melt plastic.
Only reason I stated that was because, somewhere on CL they stated you have to go with Denso or you will create problems with your lights. Other than that if others have tried and it works go for it.
Old 05-23-12 | 09:11 AM
Jspektunin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detailed info. guys... Much appreciated.
Old 05-23-12 | 10:19 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

thanks kuWuPt.... I was waiting for you to chime in
I try...
Old 05-23-12 | 11:42 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Only reason I stated that was because, somewhere on CL they stated you have to go with Denso or you will create problems with your lights. Other than that if others have tried and it works go for it.
can you find me a link? I'd like to read up on it as I don't see how a ballast can cause any problems for your lighting system
Old 05-24-12 | 01:13 AM
Drzava
Driver School Candidate

What's the symptoms of your problem? If the bulb lights for a few minutes and then goes out, but will re-light again if you flick the switch, the problem is almost certainly the bulb, not the ballast - it's a well known issue.
Old 05-28-12 | 10:07 PM
JJgsSFP
Driver School Candidate

And thanks for the quick education JJgsSFP I've always felt like the higher the wattage the more heat is produced.
Don't get it too twisted, yes, more Wattage equals more heat. The difference is the amount of heat generated by the different types of bulbs. Remember, Wattage is defined as the rate of energy (in Joules) transferred in 1 second. Heat is generated through resistance (why filament bulbs get so hot). There's a WHOLE lot of science behind explaining this correctly, without leaving out bits and pieces, so I'm just going to avoid going that far into detail.
Old 05-29-12 | 06:51 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by JJgsSFP
Don't get it too twisted, yes, more Wattage equals more heat. The difference is the amount of heat generated by the different types of bulbs. Remember, Wattage is defined as the rate of energy (in Joules) transferred in 1 second. Heat is generated through resistance (why filament bulbs get so hot). There's a WHOLE lot of science behind explaining this correctly, without leaving out bits and pieces, so I'm just going to avoid going that far into detail.
If the wattage of an HID bulb is 35w and the wattage of a regular bulb is what.... 55w... can you explain why the HID bulb burns tons hotter than the 55w Halogen bulb? I state this because people's housing melts with HID bulbs over the halogen bulbs

I still feel and stand by my statement that 55w HID bulb burn hotter than 35w, and with the 35w already as it is, the intensity of 55w will in doubt most likely melt hte housing at a faster rate.

Maybe i'm mistaken and our O.E. housing's suck?
Old 05-29-12 | 07:53 AM
bigblack06

can you find me a link? I'd like to read up on it as I don't see how a ballast can cause any problems for your lighting system
This is the one post #3
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...aying-off.html

Quick Reply: 2006 Gs300: Aftermarket Ballast?