GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vibration-Continental DWS Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 08:02 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 349 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Vibration-Continental DWS Tires

I'm having a hard time with balancing these tires. I've already tried 3 shops and they've done non-RoadForce and RoadForce balance but there's still some vibration coming from the seat. So it's mostly likely due to the back tires with size of 285/30/19. Front tires are 245/35/19
I'm pretty fed up with this but don't want to dish out another $1200+ for new tires and what I'm gonna do with these continental tires? I even think of just go back to stock run-flat tires.
I just got a quote from my local tire shop on a set of Michelin Super Sport. This time the tires are less aggressive at 235/35/19 and 275/30/19. Should I try them? Has anyone had this issue with wide tires and balancing?
Old 05-31-12, 08:07 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried going back to the seller of the tires and submitting some sort of a warranty claim?
the tires could be defective.
Old 05-31-12, 08:32 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

What kind of wheels are these tires on?

I'm guessing not stock. is the vibration one at a certain speed?
Old 05-31-12, 08:32 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the wheels? Have you had them looked at for dents or irregularities?
Old 05-31-12, 08:34 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

BTW, those are great tires. I had them on my BMW and was very happy with them.

Don't give up on them yet!
Old 05-31-12, 08:36 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my DWS are all stock size. No vibration or anything.

Maybe the VDIM is the cause? It might not like the front and back tires being different.
Old 05-31-12, 08:36 AM
socal3gs
Driver

Is your lowered? RWD or AWD? Running spacers? Wheel bend or fix before? could be a lot things.
Old 05-31-12, 08:38 AM
NickL
Instructor

I got my tires/wheels as a package from a Vossen retailer. As much as I respect Vossen and their products, I can not say the say about this particular body shop that's happens to be a Vossen distributor. My first impression of the shop was "Ghetto" and I would never want to go back their again. Not to mention it's an hour away from me. They do not have RoadFroce balancing machine so it's not worth the drive and the hassle. Most tire shops in area is within 10mins. I paid the extra fee for the re-balancing but they do not charge for re-balancing. They checked the rims and said it's fine. But the back wheels RoadForce number is still pretty high and they can not get any lower. They did ask me if I want to try new tires but I'd have to buy it. This is why I just want to go with new set of different brand tires.
Old 05-31-12, 08:42 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by NickL
I got my tires/wheels as a package from a Vossen retailer. As much as I respect Vossen and their products, I can not say the say about this particular body shop that's happens to be a Vossen distributor. My first impression of the shop was "Ghetto" and I would never want to go back their again. Not to mention it's an hour away from me. They do not have RoadFroce balancing machine so it's not worth the drive and the hassle. Most tire shops in area is within 10mins. I paid the extra fee for the re-balancing but they do not charge for re-balancing. They checked the rims and said it's fine. But the back wheels RoadForce number is still pretty high and they can not get any lower. They did ask me if I want to try new tires but I'd have to buy it. This is why I just want to go with new set of different brand tires.
Do you have spacers? At what speed do they vibrate?
What GS do you have? What kind of lugs are holding these wheels on.
Old 05-31-12, 08:48 AM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by neurocity
What kind of wheels are these tires on?

I'm guessing not stock. is the vibration one at a certain speed?
Vossen VVS83 19x8.5 front and 19x10 back. Vibration occur at 50 and above.

Originally Posted by M K S
What about the wheels? Have you had them looked at for dents or irregularities?
My local tire shop check all of the rims and he said they're fine. They were bought new from Vossen

Originally Posted by M K S
BTW, those are great tires. I had them on my BMW and was very happy with them.
Don't give up on them yet!
I did a fair amount of research and read many great review on the DWS. I did come across one review saying that they're hard to balance. I like the look of the wheels and would hate to go back to stock but I didn't buy a new Lexus to ride like this.

Originally Posted by worker
my DWS are all stock size. No vibration or anything.

Maybe the VDIM is the cause? It might not like the front and back tires being different.
With 245/35/19 and 285/30/19. the difference is 0.08%. The best match possible in this kind of staggered set up.

Originally Posted by socal3gs
Is your lowered? RWD or AWD? Running spacers? Wheel bend or fix before? could be a lot things.
Stock suspension because of I don't know if I'm gonna just go back to stock wheels! If I can resolve this vibration issue then I'll consider lowering it.
I said consider lowering it because I'm on a AWD. That's another can of worms!

Last edited by NickL; 05-31-12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-31-12, 08:49 AM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by neurocity
Do you have spacers? At what speed do they vibrate?
What GS do you have? What kind of lugs are holding these wheels on.
2011 GS350-AWD bought new in 1/28/12. Was considering waiting for the 2013 but the dealer gave me a great deal on the last new vehicle he has.
Stock suspension at the moment. Lugs are McGard. I don't think the stock lugs will go in the Vossen. I have to use thin wall 19mm socket to fit in the hole to the lugs. I can feel the vibration at 50MPH.
Old 05-31-12, 09:01 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

The wheels are not centering im betting.

Hubcentric rings needed for these wheels?

Last edited by neurocity; 05-31-12 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-31-12, 10:50 AM
socal3gs
Driver

Originally Posted by NickL
2011 GS350-AWD bought new in 1/28/12. Was considering waiting for the 2013 but the dealer gave me a great deal on the last new vehicle he has.
Stock suspension at the moment. Lugs are McGard. I don't think the stock lugs will go in the Vossen. I have to use thin wall 19mm socket to fit in the hole to the lugs. I can feel the vibration at 50MPH.
Not sure what caused the vibration, but one thing for sure I could tell you is those stock OEM lug nuts are not safe on aftermarket wheels. You should get acorn lug nuts and give them a try. As someone mentioned your wheel might not sit balance.
Old 05-31-12, 04:39 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I just got 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 Conti DW tires and so far they have been fine. No vibration.
Old 06-01-12, 07:40 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

He has mcgard lugnuts. Those r straight. I use them for all my aftermarket wheels.

Quick Reply: Vibration-Continental DWS Tires