GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

From GTI to GS - my 'new guy' bio

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 07:24 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Hmm. I have a spare iPhone that I was going to use for the nav (video) part.

I'll look into the VML. Thanks for the heads up.
yea get the video vaistech unit this way you can jailbreak the iphone and display everything on the navi screen

It's an AWD, and I've been reading that people have been experiencing issues with lowering them.

I'm a big fan of OEM+, so F-Sport wheels, sways, dampers, and maybe springs.
If I can figure out the lowering issues, then I will be more likely to get the additional set of wheels.
lol good luck
Old 06-18-12, 07:39 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe it's already been figured out. It's the angle of the axle when you lower the car that causes that... Since you're a huge suspension guru, you might figure out a way to solve this problem for our fellow GS players!
Old 06-18-12, 07:53 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i know what the issue is and ive dumped a ton of money into figuring it out. my cheap fix worked for me but some say it didnt work for them.
Old 06-18-12, 08:02 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Yikes, it sucks to hear that IXI.... sometimes I wish a real suspension engineer or something can come in and destroy this topic lol...
Old 06-18-12, 08:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yea i had almost 1k into the project until i decided to just give up and quit wasting my money lol. it is the axles though. the spacers i had worked for me and i was tucking tires in all 4 corners and about 95% of my vibrations were gone
Old 06-18-12, 09:10 AM
LexFather

Welcome aboard!
Old 06-18-12, 09:44 AM
dekidex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice,good luck with the G
Old 06-18-12, 04:30 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard. Nice V-DUB. Definitely change of atmosphere going from that to the GS. Hope you enjoy the ride.
Old 06-18-12, 06:19 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Welcome aboard. Nice V-DUB. Definitely change of atmosphere going from that to the GS. Hope you enjoy the ride.
Nice 2G. Very clean.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yea i had almost 1k into the project until i decided to just give up and quit wasting my money lol. it is the axles though. the spacers i had worked for me and i was tucking tires in all 4 corners and about 95% of my vibrations were gone
So did you go back to stock? In your opinion, is it feasible to lower the GS AWD by 20mm or so and have a trouble free ride? (with spacers, not springs)

I bought this car to get away from modding, in a way, and just cruise.
The GTI has a mod for nearly every single piece of everything you could imagine.
I had a C5 Corvette in 04 and only had fun with it on the track. The street was a pointless gauntlet of uneven pavement and scrapes everywhere. I'm really just done with trying to drive a performance car for my daily driver. The roads here in Indianapolis aren't as bad as Chicago, but they are pretty bad.

SO performance and mod wise... I've been thinking... reevaluating
The Michelin Primacy tires are great for going long, but they are not an enthusiast tire in the least. Tires with rim protectors have much better style, for one, and mostly come on higher performance oriented tires. A friend has a set of brand new IS-F 19s, staggered of course, that he would sell me for 1600. I have a feeling they would look silly at the AWD height.
Cooper RS3-A all seasons or Pirelli PZero Nero A/S next.

I really like the F-Sport shift **** and mats. I have the 'ash' interior, so they should look right at home.

F-Sport sway bars are going to happen no matter what. (also found out that my local dealer is an F-Sport pilot program dealer? hmm)

Going to shave the 'Lexus' and 'GS300' on the rear.

I'll get the Vaistech video kit and use the iPhone for that.

What am I forgetting? Should I be considering anything else? Thoughts?
I know sometimes there are some mods that nearly everyone does, like the torque mount insert or stage 1 tune for the GTI for example, that I may be overlooking.

Last edited by Simmsled; 06-18-12 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 03:36 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

So did you go back to stock? In your opinion, is it feasible to lower the GS AWD by 20mm or so and have a trouble free ride? (with spacers, not springs)
no i had BCR coils. what do you mean by spacers, not springs? Are you referring to RCAs?

Going to shave the 'Lexus' and 'GS300' on the rear.
you can do that but there are 2 holes behind each emblem
Old 06-19-12, 05:24 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

no i had BCR coils. what do you mean by spacers, not springs? Are you referring to RCAs?

you can do that but there are 2 holes behind each emblem
Yeah, the RCAs. I apologize, I should have been more specific as to not confuse the RCAs in my description with wheel spacers.

Looks like I may leave the emblems there for now.

I do appreciate the help IXI.
Old 06-19-12, 05:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

a lot of people have used the RCAs for their AWD and said it did not effect the suspension.
Old 06-19-12, 06:58 AM
XxGoKoUxX

lol IXI... i learned that the hard way when i took my emblems out.... my "lexus" emblem looked lopsided and loose for like 3+ months before the whole car went under complete fix!
Old 06-19-12, 07:12 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

a lot of people have used the RCAs for their AWD and said it did not effect the suspension.
Since the F-Sport springs can be ordered separately, and the rate will rise for the rear relative to the front (same effect as stiffening the rear sway bar slightly) it would seem to me that the RCAs for the front and F-Sport springs for the rear will lower the vehicle moderately, add a sportier ride, reduce understeer, and still provide the Lexus smooth.
Old 06-19-12, 07:50 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

or you could just use the f sport springs. ive heard little complaints about vibrations with them. its really only when you really drop the car that you notice the vibrations.

you can read the Master AWD Thread to get a little more info.

Quick Reply: From GTI to GS - my 'new guy' bio