GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Nature vs my GS350... Nature Wins!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 12:43 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go back fr sure, that's unacceptable. My brother's Avalon was involved in an accident and when it was repaired, the trunk did not close properly, and after beinging it back we found out that they did not use the OEM bumper as they promised. They redid the job. Btw how is the paint matching in different lightings? I'm planning on getting parts of my GSh repainted but am worried about paint matching, especially the pillars that extends to the back matching the doors.
Old 07-16-12, 05:59 AM
TeeNastie
Driver

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Yes you should bring it to them and let them know. I hate people who do work like that. The battery clips are on the side just plug them in.
I know! The very little I know about this car it makes me wonder what else did they not do correctly...

Originally Posted by Boron
Yep, shoddy workmanship, and careless attitude - if you remain silent, it suggests you've accepted it.
I'm sure under some consumer law, you've a right to reject a repair if it's deemed unsatisfactory, and your insurance is there to cover the cost of putting your car back to the same state it was prior to the accident/damage.
My insurance company offers a "lifetime warrantly" when I use their body shop- is what you're talking about? I think I would essentially have to take it back to the same place... I'm just making sure that I'm not being unreasonable if the lines on impact side do not match the non impact side exactly. To the untrained eye it's not very noticible. I've never had this happen before (first insurance claim in 18 years!)

Originally Posted by kpax478
Hi, sorry for your issues, if you used an approved shop they (insurance co.)may work with you on resolving this matter because it was one of their preferred auto service provider, if not you may have to deal with the body shop directly. In the State of GA, there is a clause in our policy which cause for paying you diminished value on your automobile if your vehicle was involved in an accident you may want to look into this.
No prob the reason why I brought it up here is because I know you all would help greatly. I will look into the law regarding diminished value. I've never heard of this... Anyone in FL know if this is an option? I need to know this as I don't hold on to cars too long and I think an LS will be in my future

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
Go back fr sure, that's unacceptable. My brother's Avalon was involved in an accident and when it was repaired, the trunk did not close properly, and after beinging it back we found out that they did not use the OEM bumper as they promised. They redid the job. Btw how is the paint matching in different lightings? I'm planning on getting parts of my GSh repainted but am worried about paint matching, especially the pillars that extends to the back matching the doors.
At first glance the paint job looks solid. I haven't had the chance to compare different lightings. I have not washed the car as of yet and when I picked up the car it wasn't detailed. The shop manager suggested I shouldn't wax the car for a month. Currently my car is at my mechanic's shop getting the suspension overhauled and getting new shoes. I will wash it when I get it back and update accordingly.
Old 07-16-12, 07:48 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure of the terminology as to what's got a lifetime warranty - the paint? The anti-corrosion treatment?
You'd need to read the small print to see what's exempt from that.

In the UK, we have a right to reject a repair if it's deemed of poor quality - both if the insurers are paying, or we pay out of our own pocket.
This stems from the right to have the car repaired to make it the same standard as it was before being damaged - that'll include panel alignment, chassis/wheel alignment, OEM headlights, paint matching, and so on.
What an owner can't have, is their headlights upgraded to factory HID ones for example, or non-OEM back box if the rear was hit.
Those sort of things would put you in a better position than where you were - so it's OEM or pattern parts/like for like.

As I said previously, if you're not entirely happy with the job done, speak to the shop first, and in a manner that'll have them on your side.
If they dismiss the panel gaps as nothing to worry about, then stand firm that as the owner, they are to you.
If they still maintain the job's done, then go back to your insurance company, and inform them that you're formally rejecting the car until such time as the repair is completed to your satisfaction, and how the car was prior to the incident.
It's up to you how much hassle you're prepared to put up with in order to be satisfied, but if you notice it, then you can be damn well sure a private buyer and dealer will notice it, and query you on it.
They'll either walk or knock you down on price - only you can decide if that scenario playing out was worth the lack of hassle in accepting it as it stands.
Old 07-16-12, 08:31 AM
kpax478
Driver School Candidate

You could probably do a Google on diminished value laws in your state. In my opinion it is worth checking into if you receive $500 or a $1000 it is more than you started with, that's only my opinion.
Old 08-21-12, 10:59 AM
TeeNastie
Driver

Well folks...

I just dropped the car off for round 2 at the body shop. I waited a little over a month to detail the car. What do I notice?
1. A light halo were they painted the rear quarter .
2. I noticed that the body (in the same area) was sinking from its original position and not flush with the bumper.
3. Rear Bumper not aligned with the body.
4. Front Bumper looks like trash! (noticed this 4 weeks ago)
A. Not agligned with the body
B. Large gaps near the parking lights, high beams housing
C. Gaps, Gaps, Gaps

Essentially every aspect of the car that was addressed (and more) needs to be re-addressed. Body manager seems to think it in my mind. We both drove to a Lexus dealer to compare. At no point did he apologize for the inconvenience or take any ownership for the poor workmanship.
Old 08-21-12, 11:19 AM
TeeNastie
Driver

Some pics...

Rear Bumper Gap

Front bumper Gap (high) with light housing gap

Front bumper Gap (low)
Old 08-21-12, 11:23 AM
TeeNastie
Driver

Here's a GS430 (found at a lexus dealership lot) with a more flush light housing and it appears to me that the bumper is aligned with the hood.

Your Thoughts?
Old 08-21-12, 11:32 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

after looking at your pictures, it looks like they did a half-assed job on fitment. I'd take them the pictures of the factory fitted car and let them know you expect yours to look the same. I'd also put the insurance company on notice that you are not satisfied with the work. If they haven't yet fully paid the body shop, they will have leverage on resolving your work with this shop. Working with your insurance is key as they are the ones responsible to put your car back 100% and as of now, it's not right. Not trying to be a jerk, just stating facts, but if I looked at a used vehicle that had fitment issues like your pictures, I'd definitely walk away. Even though it's likely cosmetic and can be corrected, I'd put it in the "pass" pile if I were car shopping and looked at yours.

I don't recall if you listed your insurance company, but if they are one of the majors, they will intercede and make sure you are satisfied, just stay on them and be polite but firm regarding your expectations and their responsibility.
Old 08-21-12, 03:38 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

To be honest, I'd be more likely to cease bothering with dealing with the bodyshop directly, and inform your insurers you're not happy with it.
If they have yet to settle the account, then you have that aspect as a bargaining chip.
But, in all likelihood, I'd be looking to seek another bodyshop's opinion, and what it would cost to rectify, with a view to them billing the other bodyshop.
My confidence in this one would be very low as they're needing a 3rd go to get it right!
Old 08-21-12, 04:19 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, sucks that had to happen.
Old 08-22-12, 07:54 AM
TeeNastie
Driver

Originally Posted by TeeNastie
Here's a GS430 (found at a lexus dealership lot) with a more flush light housing and it appears to me that the bumper is aligned with the hood.

Your Thoughts?
Originally Posted by 24boosted
Looks good, sucks that had to happen.
Are you talking about these pics? You're right It looks great... It's not my car My car is at the shop cause as of yesterday it had the mis matched gaps everywhere and paint issues.
Old 08-22-12, 07:59 AM
TeeNastie
Driver

Originally Posted by twylie
after looking at your pictures, it looks like they did a half-assed job on fitment. I'd take them the pictures of the factory fitted car and let them know you expect yours to look the same. I'd also put the insurance company on notice that you are not satisfied with the work. If they haven't yet fully paid the body shop, they will have leverage on resolving your work with this shop. Working with your insurance is key as they are the ones responsible to put your car back 100% and as of now, it's not right. Not trying to be a jerk, just stating facts, but if I looked at a used vehicle that had fitment issues like your pictures, I'd definitely walk away. Even though it's likely cosmetic and can be corrected, I'd put it in the "pass" pile if I were car shopping and looked at yours.I don't recall if you listed your insurance company, but if they are one of the majors, they will intercede and make sure you are satisfied, just stay on them and be polite but firm regarding your expectations and their responsibility.
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. A used car appraiser will see this without issue. And will take thousands off the apprasial price.

Originally Posted by Boron
To be honest, I'd be more likely to cease bothering with dealing with the bodyshop directly, and inform your insurers you're not happy with it.
If they have yet to settle the account, then you have that aspect as a bargaining chip.
But, in all likelihood, I'd be looking to seek another bodyshop's opinion, and what it would cost to rectify, with a view to them billing the other bodyshop.
My confidence in this one would be very low as they're needing a 3rd go to get it right!
I'm allowing the shop to correct the problem as it's the first time I'm taking it back. I'm already preparing myself to take the car to another shop. (Some local CL members are helping out). I've already paid my deductable, I'm assuming that my insurance paid the invoice. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-22-12, 08:09 AM
ILowNslowI
Pole Position

I have yet to find an honest & 100% perfect body shop, its like finding a unicorn, a tasmanian tiger, actually seeing santa, a legit body shop...it just doesnt happen!

I would definitely take it back, they should be able to to much better then that but mind you it will never be perfect.
Old 08-22-12, 08:26 AM
TeeNastie
Driver

Originally Posted by ILowNslowI
I have yet to find an honest & 100% perfect body shop, its like finding a unicorn, a tasmanian tiger, actually seeing santa, a legit body shop...it just doesnt happen!

I would definitely take it back, they should be able to to much better then that but mind you it will never be perfect.
LOL! I'm with you. I actually had a conversation with the shop manager. I understand the car won't be perfect. Just need it to be less noticible. This originated from poor workmanship. I knew there was going to be issues when my engine cover was missing and the covers to my battery were left hanging by the side.
Old 08-22-12, 06:37 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

I am a used car appraiser, even if they did the job perfectly I can spot it. Also Carfax will show an accident.

Can you claim diminished value?

Quick Reply: Nature vs my GS350... Nature Wins!!!