GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

PCV on 2006 GS 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 03:49 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PCV on 2006 GS 300

Can the PCV stop the engine from cranking?
My 2006 GS 300 has had issues starting up twice so far.
Car acts like it not getting enough gas to start. It will start then shut down or not start at all.
Both times, the car started the next day and ran like nothing was wrong.
After sitting over night, the car runs fine. Has anyone had or heard of this issue??????????
Help........................

Update:

Just drove to Auto Parts store to have battery, alternator, and starter tested. They all passed.
After I shut the car off, it would not start. I waited about 15 to 20mins to try to start it again and it started up.
So its still a mystery between the fuel system i believe.

Last edited by kdouglas39; 07-06-12 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-06-12, 11:12 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd say you can clear fuel filter, rail, and other FLOWING components off your list... I also highly doubt injector failure too, because if it's failing it should be intermittent, and that in result would give you CELs. I also doubt, but it could possibly be your fuel pump. If you can locate it, take a listening tool, or put your head deep down into your rear seat or something and see if the fuel pump flicks on or off. To test for this on a "push-start" vehicle, you'll need to push the button and hear for the prep WITHOUT the foot on the brakes, sort of like you would do with a key. Hope that explains a good bit to you.

I highly doubt a PCV valve can stop your engine from starting.

Here's a quick youtube explanation of why I highly doubt and really think it's something either electrical or fuel related.

Can you further reiterate what the symptoms are? does the car roll over? does the car TRY to start? Or does the car just not roll over and goes "CHURR" (kind of) and not start?

I can tell you straight from my experience. My local auto parts store told me my battery was fine, even though it was starting on it's way to it's death...... So don't trust your auto parts store TOO much when it comes to that. (This was an on Acura TL that was loaned to me a whole back)
Old 07-07-12, 02:29 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Post 2006 GS 300 starting issue

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I'd say you can clear fuel filter, rail, and other FLOWING components off your list... I also highly doubt injector failure too, because if it's failing it should be intermittent, and that in result would give you CELs. I also doubt, but it could possibly be your fuel pump. If you can locate it, take a listening tool, or put your head deep down into your rear seat or something and see if the fuel pump flicks on or off. To test for this on a "push-start" vehicle, you'll need to push the button and hear for the prep WITHOUT the foot on the brakes, sort of like you would do with a key. Hope that explains a good bit to you.

I highly doubt a PCV valve can stop your engine from starting.

Here's a quick youtube explanation of why I highly doubt and really think it's something either electrical or fuel related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Jb_sfpZsI

Can you further reiterate what the symptoms are? does the car roll over? does the car TRY to start? Or does the car just not roll over and goes "CHURR" (kind of) and not start?

I can tell you straight from my experience. My local auto parts store told me my battery was fine, even though it was starting on it's way to it's death...... So don't trust your auto parts store TOO much when it comes to that. (This was an on Acura TL that was loaned to me a whole back)
More info:

It starts sometime and then stalls. When it wont start, it just keeps turning over, but wont crank. If I spray engine start into the intake, then it will start but not stay running. It's not getting fuel for some reason at that time. It will run like nothing is wrong with it the next day or once it starts back up. Also, I can hear the fuel pump when I push the start button, and I replaced the battery. It gave a churr sound before also, it was like it was air or some combustion/vapor mix was being sent out the tail pipes.

Could it be gas cap, fuel pump relay, or fuel sensor? I would think either of those would give a CEL too right?
My OB II sensor does live data, and I noticed that when the car wont start, the fuel PSI is 0 and when it starts without using the engine start spray, the fuel PSI 4.03. The fuel pump is in the tank, and the rear seat has to be removed to get to it. I can hear the fuel pump prep when I press the push start.

Last edited by kdouglas39; 07-08-12 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-08-12, 08:37 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

I think this is my issue. will find out this week.

SERVICE BULLETIN:LSB-0015-10 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10034245

MFG Bulletin Date: 02/04/2010

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE

Bulletin Summary: LEXUS: TECHSTREAM ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE. FLASH REPROGRAMMING ALLOWS THE ECU SOFTWARE TO BE UPDATED WITHOUT REPLACING THE ECU. FLASH CALIBRATION UPDATES FOR SPECIFIC VEHICLE MODELS/ECUS ARE RELEASED AS FIELD FIX PROCEDURES DES

Date added to datbase: 10/29/2010
Old 07-09-12, 02:31 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Good luck kdouglas! And big props to you for being able to diagnose all this just from me telling you. Not many CL members would probably understand my explanations. I exactly thought it was a electrical problem like in that (as the next step).

One more would be relays, i'd look into replacing the relays on your fueling system after that (or having lexus diagnose it).

Sorry to hear you're having problems btw
Old 07-09-12, 07:00 AM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Good luck kdouglas! And big props to you for being able to diagnose all this just from me telling you. Not many CL members would probably understand my explanations. I exactly thought it was a electrical problem like in that (as the next step).

One more would be relays, i'd look into replacing the relays on your fueling system after that (or having lexus diagnose it).

Sorry to hear you're having problems btw
Car started fine this morning, so I drove it to dealership. After getting there and turning it off, it would not start again, so they got to see it first hand. I will see what they come back with.
Old 07-09-12, 02:35 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Dealer says its the fuel pump going bad and want $800......Ouch........
Old 07-09-12, 08:18 PM
XxGoKoUxX

LOL... see other thread for my suggestion, if you don't mind, otherwise it's a $200 replacement and 30 minutes of your time TOPS!